Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2019, 00:50   #1

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
difficulties with oeSENC downloads

I was heartened by the addition of Aussie charts to the list of available oeSENC downloads. So, I downloaded the plugin and enabled it, and followed the directions for acquiring the charts. After some glitches with the site and cookies I purchased the license and began downloading the files. My connection isn't very fast, so it took some 30 minutes to complete. Once done, I nominated a destination and proceeded, only to see an error message saying "zip file error". A few minutes later I got an email saying that it had been successful, and that the files would be available for a week...the email that I was told to ignore.

It returned me to the page saying ready for download. After some bitching on my part, and some searching to see if the charts were hiding somewhere, I repeated the download process. When completed, nothing happened and the screen reverted to saying "ready to download" again, again with no sign of the charts appearing.

I must be doing something wrong! Any help will be appreciated.

Jim
Old 22-05-2019, 02:59   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Re: difficulties with oeSENC downloads

I am not sure where you are trying to download your charts from? When I buy charts after a few hours delay I get an email like this:-
Quote:
CHART SUCCESSFULLY PROCESSED - DOWNLOAD LINK

https://ocharts.blob.core.windows.ne...T09%3A32%3A22Z

Order reference: CSPTHTSBN
Chart: Spain 2017
System: fareham
File size: 260.37 MB

This file will be available for download for a week.
Clicking the link downloads the encrypted charts which can then be unzipped and put in the ocpn chart folder. No access to the o-charts web site is required.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 04:52   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

The AUS set it over 800MB and can be problematic on a poor internet connection. My first two attempts dropped out after several hundred MB (the final download took a heck of a lot more than 30 minutes - it was several hours). If the download isn't completed, you will get the ""zip file error" message

The zip file should have downloaded to something like C:\ProgramData\opencpn\oesenc_pi. My successfully downloaded zip was 826,877MB - yours should be similar. The file name will be in the format "YourSystemName-AU-2019-x.zip" where x is the current sequential version AU set number for 2019 (probably about 10 or 11?)

Note that the email says the file was "Processed", meaning that it is as been built for your credentials with filename as above and is available to download, not that it has actually been downloaded.

If you didn't get the full file you can either download from the email link and manually extract the files from the .zip or you can just repeat the download from the plugin page.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 06:23   #4

Boat: Dufour 35

Jim

There is indeed a problem with interrupted downloads on Windows, using the oeSENC plugin. The good news is that, the latest version of the plugin, available here https://github.com/bdbcat/oesenc_pi/...ov50-win32.exe, has been updated and takes care of false messages that download has succeeded, when downloading via the plugin.
So first upgrade to the latest version.
Then, you have two options for download, either through the link that was mailed to you, or by using the oeSENC plugins tab in options->Charts.
Perhaps the direct download is better on a slow line.
Good Luck!
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 14:23   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

thanks all, problem solved: download had been successful, zip file was hiding!

Jim
Old 31-08-2019, 21:08   #6

I have just experienced an issue with this. Wanting to try out OpenCPN with the Australian O Charts. System is Windows 10.

1) Successfully installed OpenCPN.
2) Successfully installed oeSENC 3.2 plug in and enabled.
3) Purchased the AHO OCharts set. Somewhat convoluted process there.
4) OpenCPN>Options>Charts>oeSENC Charts>Refresh Chart List.
5) Appeared to be a graphical problem at first under My Chart Sets (text scrambled etc).
6) Download Selected Chart Set.
7) Got about 20mb in and getting error "Missing file".
8) Rebooted system>restarted OpenCPN to try again, same result.

Now checking out the email download link to attempt a manual install of charts. Any ideas about the above error though ?

EDIT: Manual download has stopped with a Network Error. There is nothing wrong with my internet connection (fibre to the home 100 down 50 up) as pings just fine. Dammit
baders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 23:40   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

From Australia we have several reports about very slow or unstable downloads.
The provider for the cloud files for oeSENC downloads is MS Azure. We should get something at "industry standard level" and not suffer from any cheap provider.

We can tell that for us the upload of files from AHS (direction AUS --> Europe) is as well very slow compared with all other chart providers.

It seems that the Internet "highway" between AUS and EU is more a bumpy secondary road.

The only thing we can recommend is to try again, don't use mobile connections as those are an additional bottleneck.

For a midterm future we are considering to set up some mirror for the files somewhere down-under.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:24   #8

Well. I've tried several more times with the same result from both methods. This is a very poor outcome for a well paid service and does not reflect current "industry standard" when it comes to secure downloading. Hubert, are you associated with OpenCPN/oeSENC ?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:19   #9
bcn

Baders...

what shall we do when we use MS Azure for the distribution of oeSENC and the result is what you describe? In some cases. A percentage we don't see from other world regions.

Contact us at o-charts directly please, we shall see what can arrange in your case. For example using a drop-box for your download. In order to check if the bottleneck finally is on the Australian Internet provider side and not so much on MS Azure side.
Something to consider as well.
In one case of a user from Australia it showed up that the Internet provider did throttle down larger downloads.

Consider perhaps to use a software like filezilla which will resume a download at given point after a break without starting from allover.

All this for sure not very comfortable and annoying - for all involved.

Hubert
Old 01-09-2019, 07:50   #10
bcn

Baders,

what do you get for "Westen Europe" using:
Azure Storage Blob Download Speed Test - Azure Speed Test

From here we are getting 200KB/s for the Australian site - what is slow for sure.
About 9 minutes for 105MB. The Australian set weighs about 800MB...

This is in line what we see the other way around when downloading the charts from AHS for our updates.

And from this one:
Azure Latency Test - Azure Speed Test

Latency from AUS is about 330ms or slower.

We would be interested to hear about experiences - also with other type of data - for traffic between Australia and Western Europe in general.

Thanks

Hubert
Old 01-09-2019, 15:40   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

See Post #3. My internet routes via Australia.

I just started the BLOB test but stopped it after about 4MB when Windows was telling me that it would take another 25-30 minutes to download the 100MB

I'm getting over 500ms latency on the second test.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 17:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Baders,

what do you get for "Westen Europe" using:
Azure Storage Blob Download Speed Test - Azure Speed Test

From here we are getting 200KB/s for the Australian site - what is slow for sure.
About 9 minutes for 105MB. The Australian set weighs about 800MB...

This is in line what we see the other way around when downloading the charts from AHS for our updates.

And from this one:
Azure Latency Test - Azure Speed Test

Latency from AUS is about 330ms or slower.

We would be interested to hear about experiences - also with other type of data - for traffic between Australia and Western Europe in general.

Thanks

Hubert
Thanks Hubert. Using the Azure download speed test and selecting Western Europe, the download begins OK but times out with download error. For latency I am seeing 400ms.

I do not have Dropbox any more unfortunately.

I've tried again to download this morning with no better result. The download at first ramps up to 210 KB/s then ramps quickly down at around the 20mb mark.

Have you considered using a service like Mediafire ? I utilise this when downloading far more massive files (20 Gb).

Tags
enc, loa