Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 13:15   #1

Desktop Icon Puppy Linux

I am running Puppy Linux 511 on a low power computer onboard. I have installed opencpn from a .pet but cannot find how to run it. In Puppy Package Manager it is shown as an installed package but how do I create a desktop icon so that I can open the program?
lukewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 00:04   #2

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum will likely be better able to help you with this. There is a video which purports to show how to create a desktop shortcut for any executable, and a number of other video tutorials.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 08:50   #3

Boat: Dufour 35
There is no need for a desktop icon to run a program!
I don't know the details of Puppy Linux, but there is a fair chance that you will find a link to OpenCPN in the normal program menu.
Otherwise, just find a command line or terminal window, and write "opencpn" and hit the enter/return key.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:26   #4

Exclamation

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhite View Post
I am running Puppy Linux 511 on a low power computer onboard. I have installed opencpn from a .pet but cannot find how to run it. In Puppy Package Manager it is shown as an installed package but how do I create a desktop icon so that I can open the program?
Please, Please tell me where you found the pet! I've been sniffing high and low for this! If I get the .pet, I can probably tell you how to run it.

PS. I've been playing a bit with Navigatrix Linux which comes preloaded with OpenCPN, Airmail, Stellarium and other useful stuff. Worth looking at if you want a dedicated navigation computer, but I would prefer to be able to run OpenCPN etc. in PuppEee Linux on my EeePC.

Regards,

Owen, Donna, Sparky and Coco
Yacht "Magic"
St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles
MagicSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:20   #5

Boat: Newport 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSailor View Post
Hi

Please, Please tell me where you found the pet! I've been sniffing high and low for this!
If I get the .pet, I can probably tell you how to run it.
Try this thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nux-47195.html
Old 08-02-2011, 17:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdempsey View Post
I already tried that. See my comment on that thread.

The OP says he installed from a .PET, so my question stands. Where did the .PET come from?

Regards,

SV Magic, St Maarten
MagicSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSailor View Post
Hi

Please, Please tell me where you found the pet! I've been sniffing high and low for this! If I get the .pet, I can probably tell you how to run it.

PS. I've been playing a bit with Navigatrix Linux which comes preloaded with OpenCPN, Airmail, Stellarium and other useful stuff. Worth looking at if you want a dedicated navigation computer, but I would prefer to be able to run OpenCPN etc. in PuppEee Linux on my EeePC.

Regards,

Yacht "Magic"
St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles
I downloaded the source code from the opencpn.org website. And then in console type:

tgz2pet INSERT FILENAME

this will create a .pet that you can install
Old 16-02-2011, 04:25   #8

My next problem! I have CM93 charts, which work fine with OpenCPN running in windows. However, when I try and use them in OpenCPN running in linux I can only see the basic outline, not the actual charts. I have pointed it to the directory the charts are in. The only thing I can think of is that linux cannot see the charts in different folders within the CM93 folder? Do I have to arrange the individual charts within a single folder, or can they be in folders within folders?

Also, I am having difficulty finding drivers for my Bu303 USB gps receiver for Puppy linux 521, if anyone can point me in the right direction?

thanks
Old 16-02-2011, 08:40   #9

Boat: Dufour 35
CM93: There are no such restrictions. If they work with win they should work with Linux. Do you have separate copy for Linux? What is your setup? What does your logfile say?

USB driver: Stop searching, the necessary driver is probably included in your kernel. What makes you think you need a separate driver?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:57   #10

Re: Desktop Icon Puppy Linux

to create a start-icon on the Desktop:

In most Puppys are to do so:
Pull the bin-file (e.g. in /usr/bin or such) to the Desktop. So a icon will be create.

Better:
lokk into the /usr/share/applications. There are alle entrys for the menu.
copy one of them and open as text. Then change the exeline and the icon filename.

After a restart of X (ctrl-alt-backspace -->close the X, after that run new with type "xwin") the new menu-entry is in the menu. Sometimes it didnt work with running openbox. Then switch the WM to JWM (Desktop-WM-switcher).

Best test ist to type "opencpn" in a console. So you see the error-text if failing
sailorbrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux