Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 20:45   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Delete marina marker north of Sable Island

Here Ocpn is running under Windows with the sQuiddio plugin.

There is a marina marker in the Atlantic Ocean at Latitude 44 22.2360 N Longitude 060 04.5660 W, labelled Bar Harbor. It is about 400 miles east of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and 50 miles north of Sable Island.

IT MUST BE DELETED. There is no marina there. There is no Bar Harbor Marina anywhere. It would attract yachts to there and to Sable Island, which is the 'Graveyard of the Atlantic'.

I have tried to delete this marker, clicking on its 'Delete' button. It goes away and always comes back.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 21:31   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Delete marina marker north of Sable Island

Seymore...
I suppose that the Bar Harbor that does not exist anywhere is actually this Bar Harbor (And moved the marker, for which someone simply confused 68W with 60W, there using the squidd.io website, which probably is what you should have done instead of creating this thread). FWIW the sguidd.io plugin so far is only implementing integration in one direction, all the changes have to be done on the website.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 16:48   #3

Pavel, thank you for removing that marker from north of Sable Island, I was worried about it.

I am familiar with Squidd.io: Find and rate the best marinas, anchorages and other sailing destinations. Display them on your OpenCPN chart | and brought up Bar Harbor, Maine, US before I posted. There is one marina there, Harborside Hotel Spa & Marina. There is iNO Bar Harbor Marina. And if you search on Duckduckgo for 'Bar Harbor Marina', you'll find no hits. Accordingly, I posted.

Yes, Bar Harbor, Maine certainly does exist. That's not what I was posting about.
Old 04-02-2018, 16:56   #4

Seymore...
There isn't and wasn't a marker with a name "Bar Harbor Marina". There is a marker called "Bar Harbor" (Bar Harbor: top marinas and anchorages in United States.), which is the one that was misplaced and I fixed yesterday (As you can see from the changes history on that very page it took me a while to learn how to move a marker on squidd.io).
There also is a marker called "Bar Harbor Marina Inc" (Bar Harbor Marina Inc: top marinas and anchorages in Maryland, United States.), but it is in Maryland and seems to be OK to me.
So no, I still do not think you are correct.

Pavel
Old 04-02-2018, 17:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
Incedentally, there are now two markers on the Ocpn chart, on the town of Bar Harbor, Maine, both marking marinas, both labelled Bar Harbor,.

sQuiddio shows a Harborside Hotel Spa & Marina and what seems to be a mooring field.
There is no change in that since yesterday, except the position correction to the marker we discuss here. If you think something is not correct with it, please fix it on the squidd.io website. I do not know Bar Harbor, have absolutely no idea what marinas are there or not and do not normally use squidd.io myself, so this is probably the maximum I was able to do for you and the other poor souls that might have been lost in the middle of the Atlantic because of the misplaced marker...

Pavel
Old 04-02-2018, 17:11   #6

OK, I see the entry labeled Bar Harbor on sQuiddio.

Thank you for your patience.
Old 04-02-2018, 17:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
. If you think something is not correct with it, please fix it on the squidd.io website.l
OK, Pavel.