Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 05:36   #31

Boat: Rival 41C
Send a message via Skype™ to RobbieW
Re: Debugging OCPN Connections

Ummm, I dont know if this is helpful or not....

I have some IP knowledge (the sort thats dangerous ) but certainly dont understand the ins and outs of UDP, broadcast and multicast. I really work on known IP addresses, DHCP to some extent and dont really get subnet addressing etc (mostly laziness I expect). So....

empirically heres what I found worked when configuring kplex/OCPN to do what RythmnDoctor describes:

<!-- This one does the inputs -->
/jffs/kplex -o mode=background serial:name=NMEA_IN,direction=in,filename=/dev/ttyUSB0,baud=38400 serial:direction=in,filename=/dev/ttyUSB1 tcp:mode=server,port=10110

<!-- This one does the output -->
/jffs/kplex -o mode=background serial:name=AUTOPILOT,direction=out,filename=/dev/ttyUSB1 tcp:mode=client,persist=yes,address=192.168.20.118 ,port=10111

Note that there are 2 connections in OCPN (3.2.2) defined, trying to do this with 1 connection hung OCPNs data capability iirc. In my case kplex is being run on a router and can access the laptop running OCPN both wired and wireless. The GPS & autopilot connections are wired through the router, not the laptop, using a single USB/Serial converter into an Actisense Opto 1 serial connection into USB1, USB0 is AIS. Inputs and outputs at the Opto 1 go to different places.
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 05:45   #32

Thanks. That looks much better. The setup I described yesterday wouldn't work easily this morning and suffered crashes of OCPN.

I have NO IP knowledge but some small command line experience in linux and on the end of a soldering iron.
How, in single syllable language, do I set up your configuration i.e. is it all from the command line or do you write something?
I use Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit with OpenCPN
KenNorris49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 06:12   #33

In theory I have a script to start kplex on the router, in practice I cut and paste lines from the script onto the *IX command line. I tried to cut and paste the OCPN connection definitions in here but the editor bit back - if you want to see them let me know & I'll try harder
Old 21-05-2014, 10:50   #34

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

FWIW this week I've been looking at modifying OpenCPN's tcp DataStreams to do bi-directional and remove some of the client vs. server confusion. Pavel, Dave and crew: let me know if someone's already addressing this.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 11:20   #35

Boat: Phantom 19

muttnik...
Not me. And I think Dave and Sean are more than happy polishing the performance improvements.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 15:10   #36
Marine Service Provider

Muttnik....

Happy does not even begin to describe my thoughts....

Anyway, carry on with bi-di TCP implementation. I'll be very glad to have this off my list.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 01:28   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieW View Post
In theory I have a script to start kplex on the router, in practice I cut and paste lines from the script onto the *IX command line. I tried to cut and paste the OCPN connection definitions in here but the editor bit back - if you want to see them let me know & I'll try harder
Rick, I stumbled over your thanks and request so my connections are shown in the attached doc....OCPN ConnectionsV2.pdf

Cheers ... Robbie
Old 24-05-2014, 13:11   #38

Re: Debugging OCPN connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
After the original part of this thread last year the wiki/beta manual was updated:
Data Connections | Official OpenCPN Homepage
I notice that as you say it's not clear in the "stable" manual: I'll see if I can find out how to resolve that.
The good news is that the manual you see if you click on the most obvious link in the top left of the opencpn.org has this update. The manual you get if you choose "OpenCPN user manual" from the "Book" tab along the top, however, doesn't.

I don't seem to be able to edit anything any more. Am I just being stupid (which would be my first guess) or has something changed since I last did it?

Another question would be whether the "beta manual" should reflect the current beta or the latest git source and if the former, where should new functionality changes not yet in any beta be documented?
Old 24-05-2014, 13:21   #39

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Debugging OCPN connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
I don't seem to be able to edit anything any more. Am I just being stupid (which would be my first guess) or has something changed since I last did it?
The wiki editing works for me as it always did as long as I'm logged in.
Quote:
Another question would be whether the "beta manual" should reflect the current beta or the latest git source and if the former, where should new functionality changes not yet in any beta be documented?
IMO there's no problem if it follows the current master when someone is fast enough to describe his commits , better than being delayed...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 15:43   #40

You're right: I was at least partially being stupid: I can edit the beta manual / wiki but not the stable manual. May I propose that the TCP data connections section is copied from beta to stable (as it applies to the current stable version) before I update the wiki for the code change I submitted yesterday?
Old 31-05-2014, 15:16   #41

Boat: Hylas 44

muttnik

Many thanks for the in/out TCP datastream. I was able to connect to the autopilot over a wifi router using a TCP to RS422 converter Amazon.com : TCP/IP Ethernet to Serial RS232 RS485 RS422 Converter : Computer Data Switches : Camera & Photo.

$ECRMC and $ECRMB to the autopilot and $APHDG and $APRSA from.

The GRadar was transmitting over the same router. There were no interference problems. Both connections worked perfectly at the same time.

The next step is to buy 2 more converters, one for AIS and one for converted NMEA2000. At that point the only wired connection to the laptop is for power.

Thanks again

Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:12   #42

As Chuck has noted, bi-directional TCP connections should be possible as of the recently released beta. I hope nothing got broken in the process :-)
Old 15-07-2015, 10:38   #43

Boat: Island Trader 1981, 37 feet

More confused then ever. I have successfully installed gradar on windows xp with my new 18 inches digital garmin radom. Now guess what i would ike to have some back up BUT my other laptop is a windows 8 :-( so i start all over again.

gradar_pi message says: The radar overlay plugin is unable to control the radar scanner.

scanner is located at 172.16.2.0
interface available on this computer is
169.254.153.206/16
127.0.0.1/8

To me, that is chinese... Where should i go what should i do? I feel soooo handicaped.

Thanks for any help
CapSud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 00:05   #44

CapSud, this thread is essentially dead as the behaviour reported was fixed a while ago. I think your question is more likely to get an answer over in.. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gin-79081.html
Old 16-07-2015, 03:19   #45

Boat: Island Trader 1981, 37 feet

On Open CPN opening i get the log window showing

0: Found network interface: 169.254.153.205/16
1: Found network interface: 127.0.0.1/8
2: Found network interface: 192.168.2.31/24
3: Scanner at 172.16.2.0 is <<NOT>> accessible for master control.
4: Successfully added to multicast group 239.254.2.0
5: ->gradar_pi: First Packet Rx 6: True Heading: -1.#IND Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 99 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99
7: True Heading: 0 Mag Heading: -1.#IND Variation: -1.#IND thpri: 99 mhpri: 99 vpri: 99

I feel like a new born in a engeneer's discussion, so is there a full step by step document i could read, understand and apply to make my Garmin 18 hd to work on windows 8.1 ?
CapSud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle