Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 17:47   #1

Database problem??

Running opencpn on windows 10, and windows 8. Ok I've created a bunch of maps with ge2kap, and the charts are beautiful, and they open beautifully, I have different zoom folders within each titled folded like this.....
C:\charts\navionics\10
C:\charts navionics\14
C:\charts\GoogleMaps\

Each map type folder has numbered folders within to allocate a different zoom level. Generally I create charts at zoom levels 10, 12, 14, and 16. I create chart groups for each parent folder like this:

C:\charts\navionics = Navionics group
C:\charts\GoogleMaps = GoogleMaps group.

The charts work beautifully until I create the the second group. In other words, the charts work and zoom beautifully, while they are the only group on the program. When I add any other chart group for the charts I create, there are whole zoom levels that disappear from the chart outlines and they will not load. The only fix is to uninstall opencpn and reinstall it. Then once again, after I add the second folder, they all become broken again. My folders and files have no spaces in the name. I've tried every trick I know to fix this and I just havn't been able to figure it out. Anyone?? Thanks, Robb
Rube2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 11:59   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Database problem??

Rob, you can:
1. Create multiple Chart Groups.
2. Select the Chart Group to display by Right Click in the Chart area and Pick Chart Groups then pick the group.
3. Go to the wiki https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...pn_user_manual and use search "Charts" read the extensive manual about Chart Files & directories, Chart Groups. Chart Tab, Chart Downloader, etc.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 12:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Rob, you can:
1. Create multiple Chart Groups.
2. Select the Chart Group to display by Right Click in the Chart area and Pick Chart Groups then pick the group.
3. Go to the wiki https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...pn_user_manual and use search "Charts" read the extensive manual about Chart Files & directories, Chart Groups. Chart Tab, Chart Downloader, etc.
I'm already using chart groups. There is a glitch in opencpn database. You can't have maps of the same name even if they reside in different folders. This really needs to be fixed
Old 29-10-2017, 12:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

Rube2112...

re:
"You can't have maps of the same name even if they reside in different folders."

This is done intentionally. For example, NOAA charts downloaded by region contain duplicates of small scale raster charts. OpenCPN chooses only one (the latest) of the duplicates for the database to avoid congestion.

What is your setup that causes trouble with collapsed duplicate chart names? Maybe we can come up with a solution in this case.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 12:47   #5

I think I have fixed it. The way I fixed it was to recapture all of the maps again with GE2kap, and this time instead of naming the different Zoom folders just 10, 12, 16, for the different Zoom levels, I renamed each zoom level giving it the full name for instance GoogleMapsTampaBay16 GoogleMaps14. Giving everything a individual name seems to have solved the problem. I've just never seen a database act this way before. Robb