Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2011, 19:05   #1

Boat: 29'
Current Prediction Not Displaying as SPEEDS

Ok,I should have noticed this before...seeing as I live in these.I have a couple of other apps for tide/current I use
From Version 1.3.6 to the newest Beta,...When I click the Current Tool Button,.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	26595

this example I found ( rightclick on the little solid square displays the table) is in BC, Canada,the Okisollos,specifically "Hole-In-TheWall" position 50 18' N,125 12' W.
Also,a bit south at Surge Narrows,a bit east at the Yucultas.
Tidal "Feet" aren't Knots of current.I think somehow the current and tide database are mixed together somehow.

Some current tables do display correctly.In OpenCPN 2.4.412 Beta,there are TWO current arrows at Surge narrows.One of these displays current,the other,a tide.

The Tide button ,on or off,works ok displays an ok value...and makes no difference to the oddness I see above with currents.
Is there something I am doing wrong?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 09:05   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Current Prediction Not Displaying as SPEEDS

Happy

I know there are a lot of errors in the tidal presentation.
But I don't know if this is one of them. I get a totally different dialog than you. I wonder were your HARMONIC and HARMONIC.IDX files originates? Try to delete the two files in Program Files/OpenCPN/tcdata. Then reinstall and check again.

Name:	hole.png
Views:	142
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	26604

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 09:42   #3

Thanks,Cagney!For the line of inquiry!

But no go!(Using 2.4.423 but likewise with old version as I said OP)Tried it,same odd behaviour-feet no knots!I looked at the reinstalled Harmonic and Harmonic IDX for a clue
I get this from hex editor...
HARMONIC is
# $Id: HARMONIC,v 1.2 2008/08/10 00:13:23 bdbcat Exp $..#..#..# Changelog..# ---------..# 2003-12-18 (rmk)..# Added the new primary stations from the Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory..# in the UK. There are 44 new stations from England, Scotland, and Wales...#..# 2003-

HARMONIC IDX is:
Tide2idx version 2.1 (2002-02-06)..# and distributed as part of the free WXTide32 program located at http://WXTide32.com..# Please do not modify this file unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing!....# Basic...etc

BUT I have WXTide and even tried replacing the harmonic idx from it.Hmm.many current stations disappeared...the ones that remain,they are working.I think they were among the few that did before,though.It's apparently the secondary stations?like Hole in the Wall?Arran Rapids?These are gone with my hack.I'll restore the others...
Old 26-04-2011, 09:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Hi Thomas,
I'm using the Beta version, and tried out Happy's scenario and get the same result as Happy did, the tide and current data seem mixed up. I deleted both tide files from tcdata, and then re-installed and got the same result.
Running on Win XP
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:03   #5

FIXED
! total cleanout did it.Hmm.Sorry about that.It was your confirmation,Cagney,that it SHOULD work...still damned odd,though.I saved a thing or two from the config folder that I suspect...

I found something called "station_mru.dat" in the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\badopencpn folder i saved...
Old 26-04-2011, 10:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post

FIXED
! total cleanout did it.Hmm.Sorry about that.It was your confirmation,Cagney,that it SHOULD work...still damned odd,though.I saved a thing or two from the config folder that I suspect...

I found something called "station_mru.dat" in the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\badopencpn folder i saved...
Good one Happy.
I was just going to ask you to find and delete "station_mru.dat" .
This is a bit of a fluke. The file is a cache to speed up OpenCPN. It is supposed to be renewed every 15 min, I think?
By mistake the code was commented out and is not present in this beta, hence an old stale file was there interfering.
As a side effect your OpenCPN is probably slower now, if you have tide & current going.
I take for granted that his will be corrected in the next beta.

Thomas
Old 26-04-2011, 10:43   #7

Oh,Cagney,don't let me use sharp tools today!
Thanks for confirm...

Believe it or not,I managed to corrupt that install again! This time,no station mru.dat to see. BUT I had started My old version O1 and that might have queered it....Scrubbed again and it's fine(fingers crossed).
I guess I won't do That again.I won't drag OCPN 1 out without knowing I'm the shallows.
...Leave this with me-it's likely just me using that old one as a test AFTER corrupting with that stale "station mru.dat".

If it's going to be a nuisance for others,-oh no,not you too
Nigel?

Well,Nigel,make sure you get to:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn
....and delete it EXCEPT if you like to tweak the cm93 charts SAVE that folder and restore it when things have settled.
The Program Files Open CPN doesn't need to be cleaned of plugins,gpx,user icons,...stuff that don't signify is what I mean(the uninstall message will say folder can't be deleted,eh?that's ok)
REBOOT after uninstalling.Hopefully,there's not something in the catacombs of WinRegistry ...or the PIF folder or...
Old 26-04-2011, 11:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Good one Happy.
I was just going to ask you to find and delete "station_mru.dat" .
This is a bit of a fluke. The file is a cache to speed up OpenCPN. It is supposed to be renewed every 15 min, I think?
By mistake the code was commented out and is not present in this beta, hence an old stale file was there interfering.
As a side effect your OpenCPN is probably slower now, if you have tide & current going.
I take for granted that his will be corrected in the next beta.

Thomas
but it((2.4.423) is still writing "station_mru.dat",eh,...so deleting it is the FIRST fix I will try if this happens again....
I'll let currents "run" realtime and see if O slows too much on the processor I have.so far,it's ok.It'd sure be nice to use just O instead of having another app running too!
Old 26-04-2011, 12:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
but it((2.4.423) is still writing "station_mru.dat",eh,...so deleting it is the FIRST fix I will try if this happens again....
I'll let currents "run" realtime and see if O slows too much on the processor I have.so far,it's ok.It'd sure be nice to use just O instead of having another app running too!
Still writing "station_mru.dat"...eh. Absolutely ama-X!#%-azing, the code is still commented out in the official Git and the Linux and XP I can check, are not writing the file..
What's your flight-level Happy Seagull
Thomas
Old 26-04-2011, 13:54   #10
Marine Service Provider

Hi...

423 neither reads nor writes station_mru.dat.
So, if 423 reports bad data, then the error is in the HARMONIC files.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 16:31   #11

Quote:
Still writing "station_mru.dat"...eh. Absolutely ama-X!#%-azing, the code is still commented out in the official Git and the Linux and XP I can check, are not writing the file..
Thomas
Hey,I'm back.Didya missme?haha.
Well,like I said,leave it with me ... I think I know now how I'm screwing up-it's by running the old version.I thought I could get away with it because it writes to a different config folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\opencpn - but apparently not.

and yes,the new station_mru.dat created 10:31:21 (pdt) ...just after the first "fixed"install at 10:03 .That install went corrupt so it MUST have been the Version 1.3.6 - indeed I have the log,and Vers 1.3.6 exited cleanly at 10:16:21....? go figure.Well,just let me hum along now without starting 1.3.6(it was still nesting as a semi-portable in a folder on a different partition
Just leave me with it awhile and see If another stationmru.dat pops up.
Old 26-04-2011, 17:11   #12

Darn.It went corrupt again.and yet another new shiny install and corrupt again after it ran right for a bit..Can't blame Version 1-I deleted it.No stationmru.dat so the eggs aren't fertile yet...I'm heading back in with a flame thrower.If I'm not back in 24 hours send help!(Sigourney Weaver,that is)
Old 26-04-2011, 18:23   #13

Quote:
Thomas
Ok,no more station_mru.dat but still goes corrupt as to feet instead of knots...I've been backtracking in FRESH installs.Everything deleted between with the "not for nav" screen and no old settings each install...reboots too.

On first flush,423 is ok....but goes corrupt on these northern currents on openCPNrestart.another symptom is that it's difficult to get a tide graph from the tide bars.
So,try 412.Corrupt from get go IN Georgia Straits see picture but ok up north and south in the Gulf islands..a couple of OpenCPN restarts.Same.But then I left the current buttons ON when shutting down.Next restart,northern currents corrupt...
So,try 324.On the 2nd run,Georgia straits No good see picture.North Currents ok.Now,I have the little green thingies for tide and tide graphs display fine...BUT I'm suspicious and leave the Currentbutton ON when shutting down...Restart OpenCPn and,sigh,,MOST(not all)northern currents are in "feet".but these have nothing to do with the actual tide-likely they are current numbers on the wrong graph.

So,I'm back to my original post symptoms but with Version 2.4.324..It's my feeling that leaving the buttons on before exiting has an effect.Some current stations still report ok.Surge Narrows is ok but Hole-in the Wall goes "corrupt".The Georgia Strait currents Stephens Pass,off Cape Lazo also go corrupt.Southern Georgia straits seem ok.
It's gotta be a database problem,doesn't it?
Old 26-04-2011, 18:26   #14

Name:	BadcurrentdisplayVers324 secondrun.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	26627

Name:	BadcurrentdisplayVers412 firstrun.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	26628

versions 324 and 412...
Old 26-04-2011, 20:51   #15
Marine Service Provider

Happy Seagull...

I think the problem is in the HARMONIC.IDX file.

Every current substation based upon "Seymour Narrows" is incorrectly coded in the .IDX file.

Example:

Code:
Existing:
cNAA:XX:XX: -124.8000  49.7167 -8:0 Cape Lazo
^15   0.20 0 15   0.20 0   1885 355 175 1 SEYMOUR NARROWS
Code:
Should be:
cNAA:XX:XX: -124.8000  49.7167 -8:0 Cape Lazo
^15   0.20 0 15   0.20 0   1885 355 175 1 Seymour Narrows, British Columbia Current
You could try to edit HARMONIC.IDX in place, just to test this hypothesis on your system. Works for me.

This will be corrected in the next Beta. There are several more fixes needed to the T/C data, as well.

Sorry for the run-around.
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote