Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 21:11   #1

Boat: 49ft custom power catamaran
Curious response in OPCN

I have two major inputs in my NMEA backbone. Both are Garmin products, a gps and a depth gage (actually made by Airmar). Under "Input Filtering" when I choose "Accept only Sentences" and then select all sentences, I now only get the gps inputs and no depths. If I choose "Ignore Sentences" and then select none to be ignored, I get both gps and depth inputs. The first choice worked for several years and I must admit I didn't notice what happened when the depth started to no longer be read. I am using a Raspberry Pi and have had this same response with Jessie, Stretch, and Buster using an applicable different version of OPCPN with each. Does this only seem strange to me?

wefleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:38   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Curious response in OPCN

wefleenor..
I agree the "Accept only sentences" list can be a source for confusion.
But first: What's your aim to use a filter at all? What do you want to filter out?

"Accept only ..." option is used to list only that/those sentence(s) you want to receive. The attached tick list does not cover all available NMEA0183 sentences and it may be you have to add certain of them yourself. But if you want to receive everything you would not chose any filter but rather leave both filtering options unselected.

Håkan

Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
wefleenor..
I agree the "Accept only sentences" list can be a source for confusion.
But first: What's your aim to use a filter at all? What do you want to filter out?
Håkan
Håkan,

It seems that one of the two options needs to be selected. Since I only have gps and depth on the NMEA network, I originally had those sentences selected under the "Accept only Sentences". I didn't think the system needed the added noise the non-used sentences would create. That worked for several years. Only out of frustration did I try the "Ignore Sentences" and give it nothing to ignore.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:42   #4

Boat: Najad 34

wefleenor..
I may misunderstand but why do need to filter. That's normally not needed at all. The only kind of reason to use any filter is e.g. if two sources send GPS position but from different positions on the boat creating "jumps" or a sensor transfer "bad" data.
And you don't save OCPN from work. The filter function shall also be executed. Also are some extra data from a GPS limited work compared to for example 100 extra AIS targets when enter close to a harbor.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:48   #5
Moo

Are you on OCPN 5?

There was an issue in older versions where once you had filtered something couldn't get rid of filtering so had to select something. I forget exactly but OCPN 5.0 seems to work as you would expect.

Chris
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Are you on OCPN 5?

There was an issue in older versions where once you had filtered something couldn't get rid of filtering so had to select something. I forget exactly but OCPN 5.0 seems to work as you would expect.

Chris
Chris,

I get the same result on 5.0/Buster as I did with 4.8.4/Stretch and 4.8.2/Jessie - I tried them all. Once you have selected the option you can't get the genie back in the bottle. It just seems strange to me that ignoring nothing is not the same as accepting everything.

Bill
Old 03-02-2020, 14:07   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Stuffing around with filtering has always been a bit of a painful exercise. I've personally found changing the priority setting for the connection sources appears a better solution to resolving the issue of receiving the same data from multiple sources (that data being mostly GPS - especially with phones and tablets - as Hakan mentioned) using version 5.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:12   #8

Boat: Oneoff

For most simple installations filtering is not needed. But as already mentioned 2 position sources are causing trouble. (Jumping of position)
The easy methode is setting priority, but this works only for the same kind of sentences. So if you have 1 GPS sending a RMC message and a 2nd sending a GLL message, you need to do filtering. Connecting an AIS needs also filtering out the AIVDO if you have an other gps connected.