Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 13:03   #1

Command line senc creation for all NOAA enc charts- bad idea?

Platform is a Galaxy tab S, 16gb with a 64gb microsd. This is primarily a navigation device and I would prefer to have it run smoothly even if it takes relatively a lot of space, I like to be able to route plan far in advance but opencpn senc creation can make this a frustrating process. Can anyone give me an estimate of the space and time needed to prewrite senc files for the entire US? Alternately is there a way to do this for only a select area such as the gulf Coast or east coast? I suppose I could install only those chart areas then run the senc creation command and install the rest of my charts after? I don't mind taking up considerable space with these files and/or giving it some hours to process if this will eliminate senc loading wait times.
Related question: if thsee files will be very large (ie > 5gb will it slow processing times in opencpn if I store them on my microsdxc card? Is it even possible to set the senc directory?
calderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Command line senc creation for all NOAA enc charts- bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calderp View Post
Platform is a Galaxy tab S, 16gb with a 64gb microsd. This is primarily a navigation device and I would prefer to have it run smoothly even if it takes relatively a lot of space, I like to be able to route plan far in advance but opencpn senc creation can make this a frustrating process. Can anyone give me an estimate of the space and time needed to prewrite senc files for the entire US? Alternately is there a way to do this for only a select area such as the gulf Coast or east coast? I suppose I could install only those chart areas then run the senc creation command and install the rest of my charts after? I don't mind taking up considerable space with these files and/or giving it some hours to process if this will eliminate senc loading wait times.
Related question: if thsee files will be very large (ie > 5gb will it slow processing times in opencpn if I store them on my microsdxc card? Is it even possible to set the senc directory?
To create all senc files, you can start opencpn
Code:
opencpn -unit_test_1
To create senc files for just one chart group it should be possible to remove the unvanted chart gropups and add them later. Opencpn will sow all charts in order during the process of enavling senc's.
petter5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:08   #3

OK I'm having trouble understanding how to run the command line in android. I downloaded a terminal app and got this:

a200@chagallwifi:/ $ opencpn [-unit_test_1]
/system/bin/sh: opencpn: not found
127|u0_a200@chagallwifi:/ $ opencpn -unit_test_1
/system/bin/sh: opencpn: not found
127|u0_a200@chagallwifi:/ $
Old 06-04-2016, 07:28   #4

Started a new post for this question which is more specific:
How to run command line in android app - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Tags
charts, enc