Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2020, 02:35   #481

Boat: Privilege 482
Re: Climatology

Hey, thanks for all the help. You know what, I gave up and uninstalled v4 and went picked up the new v5.0. The plugin seems to work fine now. Sometimes you just gotta know when to fold, apparently.

Now just need to figure why this version can't see the NMEA output from my vesper....
Old 26-03-2020, 04:34   #482

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I though later that I should have asked exactly what you did when you removed the plugin. I would have removed all climatology.dll and all climatology data directories under Program Files (x86)/ opencpn/plugins
and Program Data /opencpn/plugins

That might have been the problem. Hope you like 5.0
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 09:35   #483

Boat: Beneteau First 435

Love the climatology plug in!

Quick question, what are the temporal values for the data points in the data files? Daily, weekly, monthly? Would it select and calculate from the current and future month, or is it more granular?
avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 09:43   #484

Sean and I used data from mostly Noaa databases. The data originally was very granular, but to get it compact and useful Sean had to process it. At the time he was sailing around the world and I provided support by downloading reams of data, sometimes 200-250 mb and give him a sample. Then he would build a script that processed it send it to me and I would run it. Eventually got all the data down to 7mb. This was at a time when 7mb was a lot to download over the internet.

Long way to say, the data is Monthly.
Old 17-07-2020, 10:09   #485

Boat: Beneteau First 435

Thanks for the quick response.

Given the ability to select Granular dates in the plugin and the improvements in internet connectivity for downloading data, it would be fantastic to have more granular data (1st and 15th, 1st, 10th and 20th, or similar). It would really help users find the typical ‘shoulder’ of seasons, which remains in the realm of local knowledge and out of reach for pilot charts and the climatology Plugin.

And I am loving it now!
avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 14:05   #486

Are you suggesting that we find the sources again (NOAA changes over time and particularly attitudes about having climate data "public") and then rebuild with daily or weekly data?

Wow that's a big job. No way without help, plus we need Sean's programming skills big time.

PS: I think it is a worthwhile project, and if you are serious about it, there is a list at the end of the manual with all the sources. Also I think it is in the About for the plugin. You can verify each source still exists or find where it is now located, or find publiclly accessed alternative data. Then post the results here.
Old 20-07-2020, 11:15   #487

Beta Testers,
JonG and I have a version of Climatology that installs using the new Plugin Manager. It is based on frontend2, by Jon.

I have seen a problem with download and reading of the Climatology files, which reside in github at Sean's remote repository. The Plugin gets hung up apparently reading "current 02" and the progress bar stops, actually looking in the logs we see that "current 01" is not read either.

I was able to rename the windows "C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\climatology_pi\dat a" folder to data-07-20 to get it out of the way, and then restarted Opencpn and Climatology, whereupon I was advised that Climatology had no data, and asked if I wanted to download it. I answered yes and it downloaded and loaded successfully.

I was then able to select under "Config Menu", the Wind Tab, and set Size=100 Space=100 and Opaque to 50%. Then the Wind roses worked for me, and I was able to run Climatology with Grib_pi and Weather_routing on a giant Atlantic crossing. The isobars change color showing that Climatology data is being used on the last half. The routing goes all the way to Greenland (where it is cool) and down the back side of England.

So, the question is, is this ready for release?

If not, what do you think is wrong or not working about the installation? Under what conditions does it install successfully? If the previous version of Climatology is completely removed including the "data" directory, does it always install properly and run?

Pick the correct tarball for your environment from the Cloudsmith.io/~opencpn/climatology-alpha with a Search for v1.4.5*tarball and download this beta test version and use the "Import Plugin" in Options > Plugins, try to install and run it.

If you have trouble, uninstall all versions of Climatology and try again.
If that does not work, rename the data file.

Let us know the results please. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatoloygy.png
Views:	45
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	219662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (835).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	219663  

Old 20-07-2020, 15:48   #488

Boat: Nauticat 32

Hi Rick,

I’ll give this a try this evening. Not sure the “hang” issue is limited to Climatology. I’ve had the same thing happen in Climatology and had it seemingly cross over into weatherfax. I say I don’t think it’s a climatology issue because in weather fax - reloading already downloaded graphics - it could be helped along by moving the cursor through the download window, which is wired and difficult to explain, but worked. I think I was successful doing the same thing in climatology too. That doesn’t really make any sense, but it was kind of a trackpad scrolling action that helped.

Since I reloaded everything, I haven’t had the issue again, but it did cause some hang ups along the way.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 17:06   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarns View Post
Hi Rick,

I’ll give this a try this evening. ...

Thankyou, I am all ears. Interesting your experience about hangups across plugins.

I have a theory, that the new plugins are not compatible with their old "data" files and that is causing trouble until those files get overwritten.

If that is true, then old plugins should be completely removed first.
Old 21-07-2020, 01:31   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Thankyou, I am all ears. Interesting your experience about hangups across plugins.

I have a theory, that the new plugins are not compatible with their old "data" files and that is causing trouble until those files get overwritten.

If that is true, then old plugins should be completely removed first.
Had some trouble installing it, as there's an issue with the Mac and importing of plugins. When I figure out how to work around that, the tarball imported fine, but the old plugin seemed to block the new, as it installed, but wouldn't show up in the toolbar as "Enabled."

I exited O5.2, physically removed the old plug 1.4 plug in, and relaunched. I reenabled the new one at that point and had no further trouble with it. It worked with the existing data set and using WR built a 23 day route from BVI to Ireland without issues. Works with Dark Mode, too, where 1.4 didn't. The toolbar icon shows up, where 1.4 didn't, although it's not "Dark Mode" compliant.

I'd say post it. It works better with 5.2 than the old one did.
Old 21-07-2020, 03:37   #491

Steve, Thankyou. That confirms my experience.

I have asked Bdbcat if I should make a PR to plugins to put it in the master catalog, in the meantime download the tarball from Cloudsmith opencpn repository and use "Import Plugin"

Pick the correct tarball for your OS Environment from the Cloudsmith.io/~opencpn/climatology-alpha with a Search for v1.4.5*tarball and download this beta test version and use the "Import Plugin" in Options > Plugins, try to install and run it.

But FIRST, Users should remove all traces of legacy Climatology

Clean out and removed climatology (windows example)
  • C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\opencpn\plugins\climat ology (has data directory)
  • C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\opencpn\plugins\climat ology_pi.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\climatology (including data directory)
  • C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\cache\tarballs\ removed all climatology tarballs in the cache.
Then install Climatology_pi v1.4.5.0 getting a prompt "data does not exist, download yes/no?"

Now you are on the road to a successful installation.
Download and install properly and it should work.
Old 21-07-2020, 08:41   #492
Marine Service Provider

Rick...

See: https://github.com/OpenCPN/plugins/issues/208
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 06:47   #493

Hi Rick,

Climatology update 1.4.13.0 came through on my plugin manager update this morning. Works as it should.

FYI about one thing, it's toolbar icon is generic again. Not really an issue, as it has been that way on the Mac for a long time and it's not "dark mode" like the rest, but I thought I should throw it out there as it is a change over the previous 1.4.5.0 you posted and I imported, in which the icon worked correctly over the previous old 1.4 version.

See screen shot...

Great job getting this done. I have just three to go (polar, logbook, Dash_T or Tactics) to be completely upgraded. (sorry for the not so subtle hint)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 6.30.01 AM.png
Views:	36
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	219831  
Old 23-07-2020, 08:44   #494

I will look into the icon issue again, for climatology, I have to reissue to include flatpak build anyway.

Polar is almost there. I think I have to change the path routine to the new one. It has been updated to frontend2 and all api changes made etc. It compiles but crashes Opencpn because of the path issue.

Logbook is on my list because Polar uses it too.
And off course Tactics... DashT maybe

I am also working on Cel-Nav right now too.

For awhile there I was just redoing plugins due to other change, but I think that has settled down now, so maybe more progress?
Also I was bugging Jon who was very helpful as always, but he was juggling lots of different programming issues too. I think I've learned more in the process however.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:22   #495

Bonjour à tous,
Après une vérification des realease de mes plugin sous OPENCPN 5.2.4, Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS 64bits, j'ai une erreur de mise à niveau 1.4.16.0 de ce plugin. Extrait du log
Good morning all,
After checking the realease of my plugins under OPENCPN 5.2.4, Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS 64bits, I got an error upgrading 1.4.16.0 of this plugin. Extract from the log

13:12:30.936 WARNING Downloader.cpp:84 Failed to get 'https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/opencpn/climatology-beta/raw/names/climatology_pi-1.4.16.0-ubuntu-x86_64-20.04-focal-gtk3-tarball/versions/1.4.16.0+789.7501f36/climatology_pi-1.4.16.0-ubuntu-x86_64-20.04-focal-gtk3.tar.gz' [The requested URL returned error: 404 ]
Merci, cordialement.
Thank you Best regards.
bernard03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle