Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 17:13   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 C
Charts Display

I have tried out OpenCPN 4.4.0 on my Win-10 desktop for a little while, and constantly experience that the ENC charts don't load properly. Most often it seems as if the borders between the various chart files do not allign, but at other times the charts don't even show on the screen.

The attached screen grab demonstrates the latter issue. As can be seen, I have previously - at the time when the charts loaded propertly, plotted the detailed course from New Bern, via Oriental to Morehead City (all NC), but when opening OpenCPN today I am unable to see the charts that the course was plotted on, only the plotted course - as if it is partly over land.

Is this a known issue with OpenCPN - or are there settings, tweaks or other tings I should be aware of that can prevent these problems?

Help will be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-03.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	138947  
viben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 17:24   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Charts Display

viben
You are in single chart mode, where only one chart at a time is shown. Change to "quilted mode" by pressing the "Q" key on the keyboard, or go to Options -> Display -> General and tick "Enable chart Quilting". Please have a look at the manual for an in depth explanation.

/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 19:18   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Charts

Quilting

Options - Setting The Charts
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:15   #4

Chart quilting is checked in options. The result from pressing Q on the keyboard is that the only chart being displayed disappears, or worse.... (See screed grabs.)

All charts are stored in the same place so access should not be and issue.

I have tried to reinstall the program a couple of time, but to no avail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-06 (1).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	139091   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-06 (2).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	139092  

Old 06-01-2017, 11:36   #5
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Your chart piano for the second screen shot shows that "Quilting" is not enabled: the single chart indicators would have rounded edges, not squared ones.

With quilting enabled (= rounded edges), what happens when you click on one of the "piano keys"? You have no active chart (= light green) on the first shot.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:13   #6

Ok, that probably happened when I went to options and unchecked / re-checked quilting. However, it was checked when I went in there the first time to confirm.

I just did a complete download and install of the NC charts. That seems to have fixed the problem from now... But the idea of it happening while offshore, without wifi, is not tempting, if this is "the fix".

If it happens again while testing, maybe trying the "Scan charts and Update Database" or the "Force Full Database Rebuild" would be options to try?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:41   #7
bcn

Downloading and re-installing is not the fix.

If no vector chart shows up and you have the chart in sight piano populated just tap on one of the charts. Will bring up the full picture...
Old 28-01-2017, 17:32   #8

This has to be a bug. I have a new install of 4.4 (WIN7) and loaded only ENC charts. I could not get quilting to work. I have most of the same symptoms and have deleted and re-downloaded files several times to no avail. I finally deleted everything and downloaded only raster files. They work as they should and meet my needs for now. Hope this gets fixed. The ENC charts I could see occasionally are much better to look at than raster when close in.
yahzdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 10:08   #9
Marine Service Provider

yahzdi...

I assure you, what bcn said above is true. Quilting ENCs works. Just touch the green button.

Could you post some screenshots?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 11:32   #10

Hi Dave,

In order for me to post screen shots I would need to recreate the conditions, which would mean deleting all my raster files, downloading..., etc.

Having given this some thought since I posted, I should clarify. I think everyone in this thread is right. I have Open CDN 4.4 loaded on my desktop Linux Mint 17.1 system with 8 core processor and 16G ram and plenty of disk space and quilting works flawlessly. On my ThinkPad X220 with 8G ram and SSD drive with WIndows 7 64bit pro, it does not.

I have been a computer guy since before PC's and have followed all the directions scrupulously; clicked on all the right green things and did everything else I could think of and still the same results.

So, if I assume everyone is intelligent and observant and truthful; I conclude that there seems to be an environmental anomaly, otherwise known as a moth getting too close to a vacuum tube in someones ENIAC (a computer bug), and someone else who has no moths around, YET; and the first step to fixing a bug is accepting the possibility that there is one. And even then the effort may not be possible or justifiable. This conclusion is partly based on a 25 year technical career with IBM.

I am trying for cute here; not sarcastic.

And finally; I use NobelTec Odyssey because it came with my boat, I was able to transfer the license and it works fine. Being a Linux fan, I was checking out alternatives just for the fun of it. If I had to buy Odyssey, I probably wouldn't, not after seeing Open CDN. I could live with the compromise of working with raster charts for what I need in the waters I sail (Puget Sound and Straight of Georgia in NW Washington), or I would buy a different laptop to run it on . My boat will never see the open sea nor be out of sight of land in clear weather; and I am a fair weather sailor.

Regards,

Yahzdi
Old 29-01-2017, 11:42   #11
bcn

Question,

what does the log say?
And - perhaps try with OpenGL On/OFF.
Or for fun the 4.5 published yesterday - just to increase confusion

Hubert
Old 29-01-2017, 11:54   #12

Hi Hubert,

As many years as I have worked with computers, I rarely do it for fun. And this effort has recently passed the 'fun' stage.

I do have another thought. This may not be a bug, but a hardware incompatibility. Change the label and it is suddenly not a problem !!

Regards,

Yahzdi
Old 30-01-2017, 15:51   #13

I uninstalled CPN on my Windows machine, so it was easy to install 4.5 and download charts. Same results. It is now uninstalled and the machine is dedicated to NOBELTEC Odyssey. End of story for me.
Old 30-01-2017, 15:54   #14

FYI - I called it CDN a lot. Which is CPN with the leg kicked out from under the P.

Hope humor is allowed!

Tags
charts