Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 09:39   #1006

Boat: 29'
Re: Charts

Cagney,I don't have a single chart that floats like that in OpenCPN,quilting off,on,borders off on,whatever.Weird.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 19:04   #1007

Boat: Hanse 370
CM93 Chart Selection

I have just loaded OpenCPN under Ubuntu 10.10 on to an early model EeePC with 4GB SSD and 512MB RAM. It works fine even if the screen is a bit small.

I have 2 questions:
1) I am using CP93 charts. I have the full set which take up 1.3GB. I am only interested in Eastern Australia and the Pacific Islands. Can anyone tell me how to separate out only those charts for a particular geographic region? I can't see a pattern to the directory numbering.

2) Is it possible to turn off the "Chart Bar" (don't know the proper name) at the bottom of the chart. It is yellow for about the left half of the screen. I understand it has some use when different chart sources are used but not with the contiguous CM93 charts.

Any info assistance appreciated.
Ray
Gypsy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 02:59   #1008

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: CM93 Chart Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy23 View Post
I have just loaded OpenCPN under Ubuntu 10.10 on to an early model EeePC with 4GB SSD and 512MB RAM. It works fine even if the screen is a bit small.

I have 2 questions:
1) I am using CP93 charts. I have the full set which take up 1.3GB. I am only interested in Eastern Australia and the Pacific Islands. Can anyone tell me how to separate out only those charts for a particular geographic region? I can't see a pattern to the directory numbering.

2) Is it possible to turn off the "Chart Bar" (don't know the proper name) at the bottom of the chart. It is yellow for about the left half of the screen. I understand it has some use when different chart sources are used but not with the contiguous CM93 charts.

Any info assistance appreciated.
Ray
The CM93 charts used to come in regions, that could be loaded separately. What you are looking for is region 7, which basically covers Australasia.

There is no feature to turn the chart bar off, probably because most users use other charts along with CM93, and then it's quite handy.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 03:28   #1009

Thanks Thomas for the hint about region 7 but I still can't see how that relates to the folder names/numbers. Any more clues.

As to the chart bar, I thought that might be the case. Just looking for all the screen real estate I can get. Since my cruising these days is almost all N-S the landscape 16:10 of the Eee PC is not the most appropriate. I even found an option to rotate the screen 90deg and played with OCPN. It worked a treat but it screws up the Ubuntu top menu buttons. Oh Well!!
Ray
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49   #1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
I just did a fresh install on a machine here at work which has never had OCPN on it before and I get the same results.

It looks like there is a limit on how far out I can zoom out which limits the use of these maps. There appears to be a map on the map bar but i cant highlight it or pick it.

Its not a big deal I guess, unless I find other kap files in my collection that wont load.

EDIT: I believe my problem is related to the problem in the "Limit zoom out on Raster charts" thread.

Hi,Surveyor.
I can duplicate the "two grey bar" and "no chart available" IF I scroll North or South right off the mercator earth....could it be so simple?Never noticed til I read your post and started tinkering!
Old 03-03-2011, 18:26   #1011

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Hi,Surveyor.
I can duplicate the "two grey bar" and "no chart available" IF I scroll North or South right off the mercator earth....could it be so simple?Never noticed til I read your post and started tinkering!
Happy, thank you for taking up the cause....

I have recently discovered that my installation of OCPN will load the kap files in question if I pick the directory folder they are in instead of picking the individual kap files.

Is this normal behavior? I assume that it is and after thinking about it, it makes sense to organize charts by areas rather than sets. That is how I organize survey/geo drawings. I will need to create a working directory while cruising to copy charts into from my sets based on where I am/going.

I would be interested in learning how others organize charts while they are on the water.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 18:34   #1012

Hi ....
UNINSTALL OPENCPN? Since I don't yet know how to place a post I'm replying to this one as it is speaking about Open. I think I made a bad mistake by download ENC Charts. One computer has ENC and the other has RNC. I'm not sure I know the difference or which one is better for us. I really don't like the ENC but there is NO UNINSTALL anywhere. I would just start from scratch and use the RNCs. Anyone know how I can do this? Delete this program so I can redownload? Preparing to bring a boat up from Georgia, ending up in Connecticut and love this program but need to fix these charts! Thanks in advance :-)
artressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 19:30   #1013

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Slightly different problem which has never happened before.

I constructed a route across the Pacific and notice that at smaller scale (so I could get an overview) the route disappears. I have to zoom back in to find it then follow it along to a new section of the chart. Interestingly, it only happens in mid pacific, the Panama and Oz ends of the route appear at all zoom levels. As I said - this hasnt happened before (or maybe I havent noticed it??)so I dont know what's up. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:10   #1014

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by artressa View Post
Hi ....
UNINSTALL OPENCPN? Since I don't yet know how to place a post I'm replying to this one as it is speaking about Open. I think I made a bad mistake by download ENC Charts. One computer has ENC and the other has RNC. I'm not sure I know the difference or which one is better for us. I really don't like the ENC but there is NO UNINSTALL anywhere. I would just start from scratch and use the RNCs. Anyone know how I can do this? Delete this program so I can redownload? Preparing to bring a boat up from Georgia, ending up in Connecticut and love this program but need to fix these charts! Thanks in advance :-)
Hi,
the program is one thing, the charts another, so uninstalling the program won't help you much to get rid of the charts...
To solve your problem I suggest RTFM at Installing Charts | Official OpenCPN Homepage Other chapters worth reading as well, by the way
To get rid of the ENCs completely, just delete them from your disk - they are just data files, no install/uninstall needed.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:51   #1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Happy, thank you for taking up the cause....

I have recently discovered that my installation of OCPN will load the kap files in question if I pick the directory folder they are in instead of picking the individual kap files.

Is this normal behavior? I assume that it is and after thinking about it, it makes sense to organize charts by areas rather than sets. That is how I organize survey/geo drawings. I will need to create a working directory while cruising to copy charts into from my sets based on where I am/going.

I would be interested in learning how others organize charts while they are on the water.
Yes,it is the way it's done.
Installing Charts | Official OpenCPN Homepage
and,yes,
I just load folders as sets that cover the area I'm in.
This is still a lot of kap charts!a gb at least and 600 miles Of course,it's nice to have an overview too but because I also have the CM93 loading,this serves the overview function pretty well and is anyways nice to have alongside the raster kaps...If I did'nt have cm93,I'd have a folder for the larger view charts that cover the world just for the heck of em and load this folder with my locals on startup.

That said,I can load all my folders in OpenCpn (3-4 gb) +cm93 all the time too but maybe it's a little bit slower....and I like speed on startup.

If you haven't already,it's informative to read the openCPN log (for xp its likely here:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn\opencpn.log")
-because, it shows what Opencpn thinks of your charts....some may not be getting loaded!They will stand out in the long list and it pays to spend some time investigating why...
Old 04-03-2011, 14:47   #1016

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Here's a few interesting planning charts of the Philippine islands in .kap format

4shared - PHILIPPINES - shared folder - free file sharing and storage

Tore
Old 04-03-2011, 15:23   #1017

I culled the CM93 directories by trial and error to separate the area I wanted. Quite boring but useful in the end - THEN - I thought to look in the opencpn.log. It lists the charts loaded in a session which would have narrowed down the options considerably!! I should have put my thnking cap on earlier.
Ray
Old 06-03-2011, 18:40   #1018

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
I culled the CM93 directories by trial and error to separate the area I wanted. Quite boring but useful in the end - THEN - I thought to look in the opencpn.log. It lists the charts loaded in a session which would have narrowed down the options considerably!! I should have put my thnking cap on earlier.
Ray
Well thanks for passing that time saver along to the rest of us. Some of us may have figured that out before the fact, some of us after and some never!

Thanks,
Extemp.
Old 06-03-2011, 21:30   #1019

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Ray
I wrote an explanation of the cm93 directories here:Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Single Post - CM93 v2 Charts
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 21:49   #1020

Thanks Thomas, I came across it a little earlier and was just re-reading it. Thanks for putting in the effort for the full explanation.
Ray

Tags
charts, kml, raster2bsb, tiff2bsb, bsb