Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-02-2011, 06:52   #991

Hello Mark

I do not know if the ChartDatum->WGS84 shifts shall be included in the polynomials or not. I guess that polys are just for ref XY points vs. points lat/lon in the datum of the chart and then datum shifts are added by the rendering SW afterward.

If this is not the case, the alpha mc2bsbh with -p support shall be modified.

Ciao, Marco.

P.S.: do you have the alpha mc2bsbh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartnut View Post
I have a need to create a kap file to feed to a program/application that *only* uses the geo-referencing polynomials (WPX ... PWY). It does not use the REF/ parameters at all. I know that GPS-Marco created a alpha mc2bsbh addon for creating the geo-referencing via a -p parameter. The chart in question has printed on it that WPG84 co-ordinates must be moved xx minutes South and yy minutes West in order to plot them on the chart.

What steps should I take to create such a kap file that has the correct geo-referencing polynomials in the fiile. I quess the unknown info I need is, does the "mc2bsbh -p" function include the Lat and Lon shifts in its calculations?

TYIA,

Mark
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 12:26   #992

Boat: Niagara 35
Geo-referencing polynomials

Hi Marco,
Thanks for your response. Yes I do have the mc2bsbh with -p support and have used it for converting many charts (over 100). It appears to work correctly with its 3rd order polynomials; or should I say I have not encountered any meaningful errors so far. I thank-you greatly for creating this feature!

Based on your response, I conclude that the 3rd order geo-referencing polynomials created by the -p parameter does not do ChartDatum->WGS84 shifts (depicted in the DTM/ bsb token). Not a problem. I will calibrate the chart using MapCal using the WGS84 shifts manually, then run mc2bsbh -p to create the polynomials that will then have the WGS84 adjustments in them. I only have a couple of these charts. They are somewhat old (15 yrs), but still appear correct based on my personal knowledge of the map coverage area. This is a special case since the SW that renders the images (which are reprocessed kap files) is not standard!

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS-Marco View Post
Hello Mark

I do not know if the ChartDatum->WGS84 shifts shall be included in the polynomials or not. I guess that polys are just for ref XY points vs. points lat/lon in the datum of the chart and then datum shifts are added by the rendering SW afterward.

If this is not the case, the alpha mc2bsbh with -p support shall be modified.

Ciao, Marco.

P.S.: do you have the alpha mc2bsbh?
chartnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 10:12   #993

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Re: Charts

Would anyone mind sharing a world view BSB chart that will work in OpenCPN?

I have a bluemarble chart and a world bathymetric chart that did work in older versions but they hang and force close 2.3.1

This is probably a known issue or some change that I am not aware of since I have been away and not able to keep up with the fast pace of the project.

Thanks in advance,
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 10:18   #994

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Would anyone mind sharing a world view BSB chart that will work in OpenCPN?

I have a bluemarble chart and a world bathymetric chart that did work in older versions but they hang and force close 2.3.1

This is probably a known issue or some change that I am not aware of since I have been away and not able to keep up with the fast pace of the project.

Thanks in advance,
What about the two charts near the end f this page Pilot Charts for Chart Plotters | Official OpenCPN Homepage?
Any problems with those?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 10:23   #995

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
What about the two charts near the end f this page Pilot Charts for Chart Plotters | Official OpenCPN Homepage?
Any problems with those?

Thomas
Thomas, I will check when I get home this afternoon. Thanks for pointing those out, I didnt see them.
Old 25-02-2011, 10:39   #996

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Surveyor..

Try this: Worldmercator.kap - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Tore
Old 25-02-2011, 10:58   #997

Boat: 29'
Revisiting old Maptech charts and others for OpenCPN

Forgive the digression..I have a ton of these ol hdrs.A google search""maptech hdr charts" brings me back to here! http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d-30418-2.html
didn't seem resolved,so I'm offering this,as a way.Maybe there's a better? but...It may help with other chart or map formats that you want too.The first problem is OPENING these and the next is CAPTURING them as a single chart instead of the little .pcx graphic tiles they really are.
For this,I am using the newer OziExplorer with the Maptech pcx plugin.This is available as a workable Trial Version.You can't export these as images from the trial,so onward...Other programs(I have VisNav4.1)also open these but You NEED the "scrolling window" that Ozi has...

The next Need is a Screen Capture Application that will capture the scrolling window.Snagit ,available as a free trial,is the ONLY one that works for me.Faststone won't capture big charts without mistakes.PickPic only captures strips.If you find a better way,post it.
..A few notes about Snagit:It demands your email to activate.Thereafter ,you can uncheck updates and block it in your firewall.
Both of these are good apps for some things and worth the $ to uncripple.

Introduce(import)Ozi to your stack of hdrs-for me,showing it the CHARTHDR folder did the trick.Ozi then outputs a ream of map files.
If you have a new computer,skip this...but assuming you're fairly "thrifty" -or you would just not bother converting 1996 charts!- and are using an old computer,it also wants to capture all your computer resources as well so here's what works fastest:

Configure snagit right from the start to avoid its Graphics Editor.
MainWindow:
Profiles:Highlight All-in-One
Profile Settings:Input=Scrolling Window,Output=File,Effects=NoEffects
..in the top menu bar beside "File", go into"Capture" and see that Remember last used format is checked and that the default format(full colour PNG) is used...I tried to tweak output to save later steps as a 16 colour bmp or tif for instance in all kinds of ways but with a 1.6ghz and 768ram,it chokes.You can try changing the output folder but again,I leave it as default and batch convert these pngs to 16 colour tiffs or whatever your pref for later use,but cropping borders (if wanted) is a hands-on op.

but the png will work fine to calibrate in Map_Cal2+Libbsb(See Marcos excellent batch file depending on your process)or recalibrated in OziExplorer+ then handed off to Cagney's Map2Kap...
IF you don't crop em
Calibration is easy because you can copy the calibration points out of the OZI .
BUT I do,because the borders are huge and that is part of the purpose in my long description.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 11:12   #998

Have you read §5 on this page Conversion Using Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage???
Or ... about HDR/pcx here Chart Formats | Official OpenCPN Homepage??

I wrote this script that makes one big tiff out of the zillions pcx tiles.
Maybe it's time for you to explore Linux
Looking at the script, it should be pretty straight forward to "convert" to windows as it is mostly a lot of Image Magic.

Thomas
Old 25-02-2011, 16:03   #999

Boat: 29'

Cagney:Yes,Idid.Irfanview wasn't fooled by all the funny extensions either and knew they were ".pcx" too,but stitching seemed pretty hard without overlaps...and Linux!
I likely will go to the penguins... to dodge the blurry bloat that passes for a "New"Os these days....

PS:the new Map2kap is dandy!I've simplified a bit by just downloading the libraries (tiff-3.8.2-1 binaries and dependencies)and copying the needed files to the map2kap_0.1.11 folder.GnuWin32 and ImageMagick are actually not installed...

"D:\KEEPERS\Navigation\BSBconversion\map2kap_0.1.1 1>map2kap GoogleHiggins15.png 20000 feet

Map2Kap Version 0.1.11
Image Magic convert OK
LibTif tiffinfo OK
LibBsb tif2bsb OK
Check your kap file"

Cool,man!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 17:00   #1000

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
The World Chart

The World Chart put out by the United States Government dated 1996.
No copyright claimed. Works nicely with OpenCPN.

Does OpenCPN have a place to store this for others to use?

Two files, a .bsb and a .kap

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The World.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	24213  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 00:55   #1001

Re: The World Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The World Chart put out by the United States Government dated 1996.
No copyright claimed. Works nicely with OpenCPN.

Does OpenCPN have a place to store this for others to use?

Two files, a .bsb and a .kap

Mark
What about a link to the kap file? OpenCPN don't the bsb file at all.

Thomas
Old 26-02-2011, 04:11   #1002

I cant get any of the world overview maps, including bluemarble and Mark's world map, to work except one that someone sent me that is actually 3 tiled maps which works with quilting turned on.
Old 26-02-2011, 05:27   #1003

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Surveyor,
Maybe do a re-install?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 06:45   #1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Surveyor,
Maybe do a re-install?
I just did a fresh install on a machine here at work which has never had OCPN on it before and I get the same results.

It looks like there is a limit on how far out I can zoom out which limits the use of these maps. There appears to be a map on the map bar but i cant highlight it or pick it.

Its not a big deal I guess, unless I find other kap files in my collection that wont load.

EDIT: I believe my problem is related to the problem in the "Limit zoom out on Raster charts" thread.

Old 26-02-2011, 09:20   #1005

Click image for larger version

Name:	limited.png
Views:	219
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	24228
Limited zoom out?

Testing the two world maps on the opencpn.org download page I find no problem at all with the blue marble, see picture above. The magnetic world-chart behaves OK when quilting is off, but for some reason don't display as expected when quilting.

Thomas

Tags
charts, kml, raster2bsb, tiff2bsb, bsb