Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 03:56   #1
Marine Service Provider

Chart Accuracy and Detail Comparison

With the sad loss of the Cruise Ship off Tuscany here is chart comparison of the local area The wreck site is the 6.6 rock I have marked it as a waypoint on the transas map which i downloaded in the last hour I have also marked the wreck site on the NGA chart with a waypoint

The charts in order are transas via isailor, NGA, Cmap 93, Navionics (via iNavX) and GE

o

r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 04:02   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
While this is the site that the captain brought the ship to ground her it's not in my opinion the accident site

Dave
Old 15-01-2012, 07:57   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Chart Accuracy and detail comparison

The application has an issue, right?

: "...The charts in order are transas via isailor, NGA, Cmap 93, Navionics (via iNavX) and GE..."

Can the OP PLS comment?

THX,
barnakiel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	somewhere.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	36013  
Attached Images

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 08:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

The app chart has no issue. The data shown is vessel Isla gps position currently my sitting room in Turkey

regards

richard
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:53   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Doh!

Now I understand.

THX.

BTW If this is THE rock then the ship still steamed somewhat (?) - it seems to be very close to the seawall in press pictures.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:59   #6

Hello,

as far as I can understand, this is the final route of the Costa Concordia. She hit the "Le Scole" rock 300m south of Giglio harbour. Maybe a terrible mistake of the captain.

Name:	CostaConcordia-Route1.png
Views:	497
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	36017

Name:	CostaConcordia-Route2.png
Views:	658
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	36018

Name:	CostaConcordia-Route3.png
Views:	700
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	36019

Here is the latest AIS positions of the ship.

Mappa delle navi in diretta - AIS - Traffico Marittimo e Posizioni

Regards, Marco.
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 10:11   #7
Nearly an old salt

Yes the issue is teh Le Scole shoal. but as yet Ive not seen any actual AIS data that suggest she went near it. MT certainly doesnt show it near enough and the update frequency isnt high enough. Its seems to fit the story but I believe the track you show is conjecture at this stage.

Dave
Old 15-01-2012, 10:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

There is no doubt the ship hit the rock, or that the rock is in the ship , I think what is interesting is that the company says it was the fault of the navigation system, and that this was secondary to a electric blackout. Are they eventually going to blame it on the GPS?
And, was anybody really paying attention at the helm? Someone who could do a quick running fix, establish their position on a (gasp) paper chart and save the ship??
And don't give me that "they don't need paper charts and a eye compass" crap....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 10:18   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

BTW I think this is an excellent example of how all the electric stuff in the world does not save you if you depend on it completely for your navigation. A GPS and a paper chart with an able sailor on the bridge would have averted this "navigational disaster". Or even a hockey puck and chart and sailor...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 11:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes the issue is teh Le Scole shoal. but as yet Ive not seen any actual AIS data that suggest she went near it. MT certainly doesnt show it near enough and the update frequency isnt high enough. Its seems to fit the story but I believe the track you show is conjecture at this stage.

Dave
Yes, it is a conjectur. But look at the latest 2 AIS points in MS before the ship has turned north taking note of speed and routes: 15.4kn-276°, 15.3kn-285°

This suggest the ship was running fast towards the Island and just beginning the right turn (as I draw on the map). During the right turn the ship drifted with the stern making a wider circle ( Turning circle diameter for a Container ship ). This explain why the ship hit the rock only with the second half of the hull near the stern: see Foto Lo squarcio nella nave affondata - Tg24 - Sky.it

Anyway, the captain is now in prison...

Ciao, Marco.
Old 15-01-2012, 11:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
Looking at the pictures it seems to me that the ship was heading the other way around and ended very close to the entrance of the small craft port. Look at the only lighthouse in the area (at least according to my chart).
Bye
Actually, few hundred meters after having hit the roch the captain said he made a 180° turn, stopped the engines and dropped the anchor. So the ship grounded with the bow towards the small port (south).

Ciao, Marco.
Old 15-01-2012, 12:23   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Chart Accuracy and Detail Comparison

AIS this and AIS that, Plotter this and that, plotter this and that! thats the problem! any seaman with a 100 ton ticket knows that almost ALL charts are incorrect, and when approching shore day or night all navigation needs to be aided by eyes and ears ,somebody just plain dropped the ball !! take all the crap you have found and throw it away the ship hit a rock and sank! any normal cruising sailer would never have been this stupid ! plain bad seaman ship ! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 14:22   #13

Invective all aside - the ship hit the bottom somewhere very near a lighthouse.
The captain may have conducted himself in a questionable manner. That is for the investigators to sort and mull.

My questions are: Who was driving? What did the con say to the navigator? Was the Captain informed of this? Which officer had the bridge? BAC of all actors?
xiabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 16:22   #14
Nearly an old salt

Most recent media reports now claim that the ship hit the outer edges of la scole a well charted rock outcrop south of the port and close inshore. What in the name of god brought a ship that size that close inshore in darkness. If is was deliberate the captain and whole bridge team should be locked up for a long time. Further media reports now claim the shop came close to " salute" the port.

This is not a chart or AIS or anything electronic fault this now looks like it was deliberate and the bridge team screwed up royally.

The only saving grace is that the ship remained more or less upright for a good proportion of the night. In fact it turns out the deputy mayor of the port visited the ship and said everything was ok. It was only much later when the list increased that major panic broke out, but by then a huge proportion has been got off.

The damage was to the port side and as the captain approached the port he anchored and swivelled the ship to ensure she settled towards shallow water. It's not clear but it doesnt seem He went aground at the port merely anchored.
Old 20-01-2012, 09:11   #15

For your info, this is the last route of the Costa Concordia. This track is derived from its GPS data.

La rotta della Concordia minuto per minuto: il tracciato Gps - Video Repubblica - la Repubblica.it

Ciao, Marco.

Tags
charts