Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2014, 15:43   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Caught by Driver Update for Globalsat 4

My Samsung laptop built in software updater program told me I had a driver update available for my Win 8 machine and stupidly I let it install it after which my openCPN was not working, Had to redefine the Com Port in use and then to reset the baud rate as the new driver was defaulting to 9600 not 4800, it worked occasionally but erratically and the displayed position was jumping around ( albeit on my condo balcony not right out in the open) often by several miles. I used the driver rollback feature in control panel/devices to go back to the original or last installed driver and it is now back OK again or at least it seems to be.

When will I learn not to auto install updates!? Anyone else had a problem? Did I do summat daft??
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 15:54   #2

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"
Re: CAUGHT BY DRIVER UPDATE FOR GLOBALSAT 4

Wait....opencpn works on your win8? I have been trying for days to get mine to. Maybe I need to re-install and not get updates.
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 16:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdrskr View Post
Wait....opencpn works on your win8? I have been trying for days to get mine to. Maybe I need to re-install and not get updates.
I absolutely loathe Win 8 but yes I have got OpenCPN working on it. However it would not work with my original BU 353 Globalsat puck even after downloading and trying new drivers as suggested by others, I then bought a newer Globalsat IV GPs which does have Win 8 drivers whereas there were apparently none available for the original BU353. I have managed to recover and set up my old Vista laptop with OpenCPN and the original BU353 GPS as one I can leave permanently on board the boat so not totally wasted.

I just wish I had not clicked on the ' install all' button for the two suggested updates presented by Samsung's WIN 8 software updater App. This same pesky APP previously kept telling me to re- install the free trial Norton Antivirus that I had deliberately uninstalled because it was a real PITA demanding money for add-ons I didn't want and eventually even to continue in basic form, when I could use the highly rated MS security Essentials for free anyway.
Old 15-02-2014, 16:28   #4

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"

I have a garmin puck, cpn see's it in the settings but when I go to see my position I'm not there. I started a thread awhile back but no help.

I got rid of Norton as well and use free AVG. Work well for me and win8 sucks. Gonna get vista I think.
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 19:25   #5

I thought I had got mine fully sorted but then cpn itself started acting weird and freezing and not responding to any commands when asked. It seems the updated driver installation had changed the baud rate setting at least, possibly other settings also. I had to use system restore to get it useable and running responsively again and even then had to disable ( uncheck) accelerated graphics in the settings whereas previously it was working with this enabled. ( apparently a known issue with the latest releas 3.2.2

All working properly again now and heck I had nothing better to do than mess with this for several frustrating hours tonight......
Old 16-02-2014, 11:56   #6

Boat: Gemini 3200

I haven't had any problems running OpenCPN on my Windows 8.1 computer, but I haven't even tried to connect my BU-353 GPS receiver to it. Everything I've read indicates the problem is with the BU-353 drivers, not OpenCPN.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 13:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
I haven't had any problems running OpenCPN on my Windows 8.1 computer, but I haven't even tried to connect my BU-353 GPS receiver to it. Everything I've read indicates the problem is with the BU-353 drivers, not OpenCPN.

Fabbian
Which is why if you read what I said , that I bought a Globalsat G-star IV GPs which does have Win 8 drivers. My Samsung laptop has an updater App that searches for anything on the computer that it needs updating, it found an update for the globalsat Prolific driver, downloaded it afte which I had the problems, I Later did have an issue with OpenCPN not responding which is a known issue for the latest version, so I did what it said on the release notes and ubchecked the 'use accelerated graphics' option. mine is all hunky dory now but next time Sammy Sung wants me to upgrade something that is working fine as it is, then I will tell him to take a long walk on a short plank
Old 17-02-2014, 06:39   #8

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
mine is all hunky dory now but next time Sammy Sung wants me to upgrade something that is working fine as it is, then I will tell him to take a long walk on a short plank
Can't argue with that. Too many times I've seen "upgrades" break working features. The trouble is even if you turn off automatic updates they will eventually convince you that you need an update. Whether the update is automatic or manual there's the risk of breakage. Glad your is working OK now.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 07:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Can't argue with that. Too many times I've seen "upgrades" break working features. The trouble is even if you turn off automatic updates they will eventually convince you that you need an update. Whether the update is automatic or manual there's the risk of breakage. Glad your is working OK now.

Fabbian
This was a Samsung upgrade APP and it pops up when anything loaded has a later driver available, It isn't auto install but a nagging 'you need to.... to keep your machine working properly' message that eventually you succumb to. MS updates I can opt to turn off but not this one it seems