Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 14:56   #16

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Re: Car GPS as Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS-Marco View Post
Hello.

If you mean sending via USB the real-time GPS position, there is a trick. This works on my nuvi 255. Maybe similar but not identical method work for other nuvi.

I assume no responsibility for using this method. It just works for me. Since it is a Garmin Nuvi hack (undocumented garmin feature), it may even destroy your nuvi . Do it at your own risk .

1) Switch on you nuvi. Then enter the diagnostic screen. For nuvi 255 you have to press the battery level icon for 8 seconds. Maybe is the same for your nuvi, otherwise try to Google for entering diagnostic screen for your model.

Attachment 21514

2) Only at this point connect the nuvi to the PC. The nuvi will not enter in the mass storage mode.

3) Now on the nuvi diagnostic screen, press EXIT. This will reboot the nuvi to the normal operation but after this reboot the nuvi will not enter the mass storage mode . Nuvi is now connected to the PC, working normally and sending the GPS position data out from the USB .

Of course Windows must have already installed the USB Garmin Driver to use the GPS USB data.

Ciao, Marco.
Thank you Marcos!
Worked fine for my Nuvi 265w.
It was kind of funny to see OpenCPN to jerk my "boat" from the route I have been planning to all blackness! It seems the coasties have not released charts for the mountains.
jeanathon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter