Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2020, 16:46   #1

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Can a windows 10 tablet be used with a Navico 20+ radar?

I am planing new equipment for my boat but at the same time want to avoid Simrad/Navico's budget busting big buck MFDs. I don't want to get really involved with OCPN only to later learn there's no easy marriage for a tablet with an Halo20+. OK, I know I am missing basic a understanding of OCPN which I will spend time to learn if it helps. Thanks in advance to any thoughts, recommendations those of you with knowledge might provide.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 16:53   #2

Re: Can a windows 10 tablet be used with a Navico 20+ radar?

My own experience is that Windows 10 can't be used for anything. Except to turn a working laptop into an overpriced frisbee.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 17:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
My own experience is that Windows 10 can't be used for anything. Except to turn a working laptop into an overpriced frisbee.
Thanks John, is there anything that will work with a tablet?

EDIT: By that I meant bridging a Halo20+ with a display
Old 19-02-2020, 17:18   #4

Boat: Norseman 447cc

The short answer is yes, here's a link to the plugin https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/navicoradar.html. I have not used the radar plugins personally since I have a Garmin display for my radar but I have OCPN installed on an older Surface, it works fine, though it is horribly slow on the tablet I have at the moment, only 2GB of memory but everything seems to work just fine. Direct sunlight makes things impossible to read... OCPN has a bit of a learning curve but once you get used to it you'll find it is pretty powerful and not too difficult to use.

I have tried installing Linux on the same surface and it just didn't work so well, Linux on tablets aside from Android, just doesn't seem to work. I find disabling automatic updates makes the Surface much easier to deal with and given I only use it for OCPN behind a firewall I am not too worried about malware. The new USB dongle also makes it a whole lot easier to share charts with my Linux laptop which I use for planning routes.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 17:39   #5

Thanks SVS---

I am aware of a tablet's limitations such as their limited nits for example. I am going to do more research starting with your suggested URL
Old 20-02-2020, 00:38   #6

Boat: Najad 34

foggysail..
If you refer to a tablet without a internet wired port you've to rely in wifi and most wlan routers will not be capable to transmit the radar data traffic. https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...-(Navico)#wifi
A Win10 laptop is of course excellent with radar_pi as any other PC.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 07:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
foggysail..
If you refer to a tablet without a internet wired port you've to rely in wifi and most wlan routers will not be capable to transmit the radar data traffic. https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...-(Navico)#wifi
A Win10 laptop is of course excellent with radar_pi as any other PC.

Yes, I prefer Win10 for an operating system. My response above to John at Cruisingcat essentially was asking if different options existed. One major consideration for daylight operation of course is finding something with at least 1000 nits. Heck, Dell solved that with many in their Latitude laptops which are far less expensive than the break the bank MFD's that cost more than the radar. I choke on paying those big bucks and sort other options which I am very happy to learn now are available. I do not need a viewing device that is weather proof.

Tags
navico, radar, wind