Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2011, 18:33   #76

Re: BSB 4 PlugIn

Brak,

That's correct... you support bsb4 in your Polar View Linux build right?

Dave,

OpenCPN.org/downloadplugins has been updated to include the bsb4 plugin. I'm still thinking about how to make it easier for plugin makers to publish on opencpn.org. Any more thoughts about this?

Will
Old 15-04-2011, 18:35   #77
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Brak,

That's correct... you support bsb4 in your Polar View Linux build right?
Yes, PolarView now supports BSB v4 on Windows, Mac and Linux. And so can OpenCPN, if it so desired.
Old 15-04-2011, 18:38   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
And so can OpenCPN, if it so desired.
Are you offering to write a plugin?
Old 17-04-2011, 19:23   #79
Marine Service Provider

Folks....

There has been some private communication from brak regarding OpenCPN BSB4 support for linux and Mac.
Its a complicated proposal, but let me summarize:

1. Polar Navy LLC has offered to make available to the OpenCPN project an SDK enabling the creation of an OpenCPN PlugIn supporting BSB4 on linux, Mac, and Windows.

2, The SDK would be delivered to one or more volunteer OpenCPN developer(s) ("developers"), probably under NDA/License between Polar Navy LLC and the "developers".

3. The "developers" would develop a commercial, paid-for, closed-source PlugIn supporting BSB4 on some platform(s).

4. The "developers", or other interested persons, ("distributors") would sell and deliver the PlugIn to individual OpenCPN users ("users"). A portion of the proceeds would revert to Polar Navy LLC. Pricing and delivery arrangements would be up to the "distributors".

5. And the linux/Mac BSB4 user "user" is enabled and happy....

As you can see, it gets complicated quickly. This is partially a consequence of the mixed open/closed source model that results, and a reasonable business requirement to protect property and earn a profit for activities performed.

On the other hand, the process has the potential to produce a working BSB4 OpenCPN PlugIn for Mac and linux.

So, if there is interest in this proposal by any prospective developers, I recommend that they should proceed immediately and independently in discussions with Polar Navy (brak).

I plan personally to become neither a "developer" nor a "distributor" in this context, mainly because:
a. my plate is full with advancing the base OpenCPN code, and
b. my full-time cruising lifestyle does not lend itself to a software distribution business.

Let me be clear: I support this proposal, and would be very happy to see it proceed.

Also, if I have overcomplicated, or oversimplified the task, I appologize, and gratefully accept improvements.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 18:44   #80
Marine Service Provider

Updated BSB 4 PlugIn

Ahoy Windows BSB4 Users:

Attached is an update to the BSB4 PlugIn for OpenCPN

Notes:
1. Fixes FS#412 : Crash with toolbox, using BSB4 plug-in

2. Please note new PlugIn naming scheme.
<plugin name>_<OS and arch>_<plugin api version>_<plugin version>_pi.<extention>

plugin name .. (anything)
plugin api version ... pi<version number>
plugin version ... v<version number>
OS and arch ... win32, win64, lnxi386, lnxamd64, mac???, mac???

So, in this case we get:

Code:
 bsb4_win32_pi14_v10_pi.dll
Comments on the naming scheme appreciated. We dreamed this up to help keep track of PlugIns on the download site(s), and possibly enable an automated PlugIn updater.....More to come....

Enjoy
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: doc bsb4_win32_pi14_v10_pi.dll.doc (105.0 KB, 127 views)
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 01:00   #81

Boat: Phantom 19

Dave...
Did you code some logic to load just the latest available version of each plugin? Just wondering how will we behave when the user does not delete the previous version dll.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 05:43   #82

Pavel, Dave... glad you're both here on this topic as I think you guys have created the most plugins so far.

Pavel: With a file name convention, if OpenCPN sees two of the same <plugin name>_... , then it can just choose the one with the higher version number.

As I see it, even with a file naming convention, we are still going to have to maintain a list of available plugins. The master list should exist on OpenCPN.org. I can create some simple forms on the site to make it easy for plugin creators to publish and update plugins on the list. The http://opencpn.org/downloadplugins page can also be auto-generated from the list.

What i need to know from you guys is how we should format the master list and what data it needs to contain.

Will
Old 27-07-2011, 05:27   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post

Personally, I am doing it primarily because it's the most fun I've had working on a software product in many years.
Well said. It's so important to have some fun in this life and when you can accomplish that in a way that also helps your friends it's even better.

George
Old 31-12-2013, 19:07   #84

Boat: Roberts 38 offshore
Chart mark text box

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hi Folks....

I'm back online now. Time to talk about BSB4 Plugin.

I have implemented a BSB4 PlugIn for OpenCPN. As you might expect, it required some changes to the PlugIn API layer to accomodate arbitrary chart type loading, georeferencing, and display.
These API changes will appear in Beta Version 2.4.0 which will be published in a week or so, as will the PlugIn.

The BSB4 PlugIn uses the Maptech DLLs provided with the chart folios as purchased on disc. This fact has the following implications:

1. This PlugIn supports Windows only.
2. BSB4 charts will be available only on the computer for which they were successfully registered by the original end user.
3. The PlugIn makes no attempt to understand or "crack" the encryption algorithms. The DLL interface is treated as an opaque portal for reading decrypted .cap chart files. As was speculated, the PlugIn contains a DLL "wrapper" of sorts.
4. The BSB4 PlugIn will not be distributed as OpenSource. It will be a binary-only DLL, looking just like all other PlugIns at run-time.

Please take careful note of (2) above. If a user somehow "acquires" a copy of a BSB4 chart folio, it will not be useable with this plugin on a computer other than that for which the folio has been registered with its copyright owner. TNSTAAFL on this one.

Linux/Mac support: Maptech provides no packaged libraries for alternative O/S support. Such libraries could be developed as an exercise for the interested programmer. AFAICT, this would require executing a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with Maptech, as well as the payment of a non-trivial fee to Maptech. I'm not willing to fulfill either of these requirements personally, especially the NDA....

The BSB4 PlugIn will be "free", as in "Free Beer". I am not at all interested in (re)entering the retail software distribution business. Happy users might make a corresponding non-trivial donation to the project as they see value.

Beta copies of the PlugIn will appear here (on this thread as attachments). The final release host has yet to be determined. It will probably not be on opencpn.org, due to licensing issues.

So, that's it. Comments welcome as always.

Its good to be back in the OCPN sandbox, I think.

Dave
Hi Dave

have written a couple of cruising guides for SW Pacific islands ( PNG - Solomon Islands) and would like to use Open CPN to run it. Problem I have is where to find the text I write in Way point properties box when I wont to export the text???? Hope there is and easy way to sort it out for me
Thank You
Hans
Old 01-01-2014, 06:53   #85

Boat: Phantom 19

Hans...
I really don't think that asking exactly the same question in third randomly chosen thread will change the answer to it you already got here and here... If you need more explanation, tell us what's not clear, please.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:56   #86

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave,

A French sailor asked us on a French forum.

This user has OpenCPN of maptech charts he bought intending to use with marine OziExplorer software.

He wanted to use with OpenCPN (and bsb4 plugin). There has not happened.

When downloaded charts in maptech, he had to download charts tailored to Oziexplorer .. These are ".map" expansion charts.

Do you know if there is way to use these charts with OpenCPN?

B.R. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:13   #87

Boat: Dufour 35

Gilletarom

I don't think so.

Ozi explorer .map charts can easily be converted to .kap charts.
Check out this old thread -> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hlight=map2kap

But, ...I suspect that the MapTech encryption layer will make this approach impossible.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 13:32   #88

Hi all. This thread is 6 pages plus, and after about five hours I'm exhausted, as is Google:

Is there a user manual / man / instruction sheet for the BSB4 plugin? If so where?

I've installed openCPN under both Win7 and Linux, all is good, not a terribly steep learning curve. I have my BSB4 charts on the machine and have pointed openCPN to their directory, but it sees the .kap but not the .cap. I have licenses and all that, but need to know how to give it to the plugin.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Andy
MV Pilgrim

<):-)

(guy with a sailor hat... :-)
alavarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 20:07   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavarre View Post
Hi all. This thread is 6 pages plus, and after about five hours I'm exhausted, as is Google:

Is there a user manual / man / instruction sheet for the BSB4 plugin? If so where?

I've installed openCPN under both Win7 and Linux, all is good, not a terribly steep learning curve. I have my BSB4 charts on the machine and have pointed openCPN to their directory, but it sees the .kap but not the .cap. I have licenses and all that, but need to know how to give it to the plugin.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Andy
MV Pilgrim

Have you enabled the plugin?

Have you done a Force Full Database Rebuild?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:27   #90

Boat: 10.50 mètres

hello Alavarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavarre View Post

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Andy
MV Pilgrim

Read this thead : http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ics-64744.html

Read also this : http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1522811

If you can read french language, read this page :

Cartes lisibles par OpenCPN.

B.R. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags