Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 12:09   #61

Boat: On the Hard
Re: BSB 4 PlugIn

OK I understand Pavel and thank Dave (and all the other dev's on this list)for doing the work on this and bringing it this far. My hat is off to you guys.

However, just let me say, this really sucks, (even though I completely understand, just disappointed) as charts for Linux users now cannot be updated legally or other. Once again we are dead in the water. Been waiting now what, 4 years for something like this?

Running windows in a mission critical environment such as a nav system....well I wont say it. Enough to say, that no commercial endeavour does, without consequences that are less then desirable or multiple backup systems that are redundant and costly.

My personal ambitions was to run opencpn on an embedded platform with reduced and customized OS foot print to maximize the unit for navigation, charting. weather fax etc. Simple enough to do. See plug computiing. Guess Im going to have to look for something else to do now... Dam that was going to be fun.

Best of luck and continued success. Windows ain't happening on this man's sail boat. Simply far too high of a risk if you do a proper risk assessment.

--
/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 12:36   #62

Pls accept my apologies for my rant. I was just hoping to have this ready by the time I am ready to get under way again.

Playing with the .exe version and wine it may be possible to get it going on linux after all.

My concern is having updated charts on a stable system. Last year when we ran the older version on the netbook was stable as rock from the lower Chesapeake to Chesapeake City to Cape May. A rather pleasant experience and fully integrated with garmin hand held gps and secondary gps unit. Netbooks are nice with 8 hr battery life for this sort of thing but they are not water proof, hence the move to an embedded system which can easily be made water proof.

Continued success.

/ch
Old 18-03-2011, 13:49   #63
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailias View Post
Any hints when a linux version of the dll will be available for testing.

Secondly came across this issue from noonsite. Aparently the CM93 2010, issuance, ( which will require the pluggin) has major issues with some locations. Ports in Belize are off by a mile or more.

ref: Noonsite: Warning About C-Map Error in the Caribbean
CM93s are not BSBs and are issued by a different company with a different licensing and different protection. I seriously doubt the BSB 4 plugin will allow you to use the new encrypted CM93 charts.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 19:28   #64

Of course you are correct. I lost track of where this was going so made an incorrect assumption. Thats two in one day...sh..t..

/ch
Old 19-03-2011, 13:53   #65
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailias View Post
Of course you are correct. I lost track of where this was going so made an incorrect assumption. Thats two in one day...sh..t..

/ch
Luckily I don't make mitsakes.

Whoa, was that lightning?
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 14:24   #66
Marine Service Provider

Hello all....

Has anyone actually tried the BSB4 PlugIn on a Windows system for real?

Does it actually work?

Wondering
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 16:04   #67

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

We used it from Sidney to Anacortes and are now back as far as Reid Harbor. I love it. I get what I would call screen refresh issues occasionally that require me to close OpenCPN and restart it but it hasn't happened often enough for me to say how to reproduce them and it's way beyond my paygrade to say whether they are beta issues with OpenCPN or with BSB4. The most common situation leaves me with a route that doesn't scale to the new screen after I have changed the zoom level. So I end up with the route at the previous zoom level imposed across the new chart. I believe it occurs when I zoom out but I wouldn't want to guarantee that. I've also noticed some problems with displaying the track around the edges of quilted charts but that seems to sort itself out. Its such a dramatic improvement over Fugawi that I just have to keep pinching myself. On Sunday we'll leave Sidney for Desolation Sound so it will get a good workout then.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 09:59   #68

OK it seems that wine and opencpn dont play well, far too much work to get it going. So next attempt was virtual box or any other virtual machine. Basically you get windows stable and where you want it for nav purposes only, keep the charts on a common folder/directory on the HD, and then take a snapshot. Once windows craps outs and it will, just recover the snapshot and your are good to go.

Only way I can see, on linux to keep current with upstream charts if you use the BSB4 pluggin and rely on BSB4 based charts. Other then that I see no upgrade path for linux users when it comes to charts outside of US continental waters (thanks NOAA)

Suggestions welcomed in case I missed something.

/ch
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello all....

Has anyone actually tried the BSB4 PlugIn on a Windows system for real?

Does it actually work?

Wondering
Dave
Hi,
Yes, I've tried it but have problems...
Have some maptech charts delivered by NV Verlag. They have extension bsb/eap. Thought these were BSB4 but I might be wrong.
Anyway, I run with opencpn 2.4.0 on a Winxp system where these charts are originally installed.
Opencpn does not detect or show these charts at all.
Any help appreciated!

Regards,
/p
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:33   #70

Boat: Wasa 410

I am pretty sure NV Verlag (translates freely as "NV Publishing Company") use their own format called NV.Digital.

/Jonas

Edit: ...been considered earlier...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mat-45120.html
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:02   #71

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave,

On the French forums, nobody asks questions about the bsb4 plug-in. Nobody said: "It's Ok." Nobody said: "It will not." Nobody said: "I'll try."

Those who had bsb4 also had another charting software.

And the other sailors?

Since the release of IPAD, last year, it is possible to buy a charting software, but less efficient qu'OpenCPN which costs only 30 euros and a porfolio of bsb4 cart is also sold 30 euros which covers a large sea area.
The price for the same card portfolio, which covers the same area for OpenCPN be used on PCs with Windows, is 150 euros or more .... !

I suspect that most sailors interressés are pending. ... What?
First, in my opinion, a lot of sailors waiting for the PC cards for use with Windows or Linux are less expensive. It may also be waiting to see if it works well.

Secondly, another problem occurred with the success of the iPad-1 and Ipad_2. These tablets are convenient, with their touch screen, and because they are easy to get on the decks of boats.
Other manufacturers have released tablet PCs and several thead forums leads me to believe that many sailors do not want to invest in equipment and charts probably will not until he saw what equipment and what operating system will prevail.
The existence of the Android system is an issue in this case.

I hope that it will not delay too much the development of plug-in bsb4.

Best regards

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:58   #72

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
Hi,
Yes, I've tried it but have problems...
Have some maptech charts delivered by NV Verlag. They have extension bsb/eap. Thought these were BSB4 but I might be wrong.
Anyway, I run with opencpn 2.4.0 on a Winxp system where these charts are originally installed.
Opencpn does not detect or show these charts at all.
Any help appreciated!

Regards,
/p
"bsb/eap" is the NV Verlag's own chart format.
BSB4 charts has the file extension ".CAP".
So, really no surprise here.
But....there are requests for an NV plugin.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:47   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
"bsb/eap" is the NV Verlag's own chart format.
BSB4 charts has the file extension ".CAP".
So, really no surprise here.
But....there are requests for an NV plugin.

Thomas
Ok, I understand. Thought NV used a Maptech format as their charts are bundled with Maptech software.
Anyhow, an NV plug-in would be nice!

/p
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:15   #74

Can we link to the bsb4 plugin on the opecpn.org site? I have a separate web server to put it on... Perhaps with it's own page.

Will
Old 14-04-2011, 17:34   #75
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
sailias,
unfortunately never is the answer to your question right now... Post #51 higher in this thread explains why.

Pavel
It does not have to be "never".

Tags
bsb