Join Date: Dec 2005
Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Boat Icon
Originally Posted by BlackOak
I know, this has been discussed before, but I have looked for the thread using the search feature, no joy there. I just want to make the "ownship" icon a little smaller. I have gone into the INI file, and its not there. I am using OpenCPN
Version 3.0.2 Build 2012-07-07 on a windows xp service
pack 3 OS.
It pays to read the documentation
that comes with OpenCPN. This is what it says for your version
The size of the ownship icon is adjustable through the config file. Add these lines under the "[Settings]" header:
The Ownship rendering logic, using the built in icon, is :
1. Default: If no value is specified for OwnshipMinMM , the built-in yacht icon will be used, and no ownship scaling is performed.
2. If OwnshipMinMM=kk is specified, the built-in yacht icon will be used, and scaled as though it represented a vessel 12 Metres long, scaled up or down according to the display chart zoom factor. However, the minimum size will not be less than (kk) mm. In no case will ship icon be smaller than 1 mm on screen.
3. If both OwnshipMinMM=kk and OwnshipLengthMeters=nn are specified, then the built-in yacht icon is scaled according to the chart zoom factor, calculated as though it represented a vessel of length (nn) metres.
4. If, in addition to Rule 3, OwnshipBeamMeters=mm is specified, then the built-in generic ship icon is used, scaled accordingly.
5. If you installed your own ownship.xpm icon, then Rule 3 applies. It is assumed that the ownship icon closely fits the bounding box of the graphic in the length dimension. OwnshipBeamMeters must be omitted or zero
6. If canvas scale is larger than 1:300,000, then the ship icon is rendered as a red or grey target, according to IHO recommendation.
7. GPS antenna location offsets may be specified by OwnshipGPSOffsetY=yy and OwnshipGPSOffsetX=xx.
Y offset is from bow, measured in meters. Default is one half ownship length.
X offset is from ship centerline, positive values to starboard. Default is zero.
Note that you have to add the lines to the ini file yourself. Make sure that OpenCPN is not