Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2011, 13:45   #1

Boat: Pandora International, 23', "AIDA"
BN-903s Dongle and OpenCPN

A forum search threw this up---

To solve this problem, I was advised by a UK based expert as follows:

Set the Comm Port to Comm Port 5 in Device Manager,
Leave the Baud rate as it is, (It does not matter)
Under "Tools" in CPN, set the Comm Port to Port 5 and the Baud rate to whatever it was in Device Manager.

Then, take your laptop to some open space BECAUSE, regardless of the data stream reported by other "Find GPS" programs, OpenCPN will ONLY show your position WHEN, and ONLY WHEN, it can receive data from 4 or more satellites.

After re-setting the thing for what must be a hundred times, I took my laptop out to an area where I know my car Sat Nav gets strong signals and Whoopee!!! OpenCPN lit up and followed my boat. Well, actually, it was my car but who cares, It WORKS!!!

------ which seems to be the solution to my problem exactly---- except that I can't actually do any of it!----- starting with "Set the comm Port to Comm Port 5 in Device Manager" !! Can anyone explain how to do that please? and then perhaps I can have a look at the rest of it.

Actually the rest looks quite do-able, even to me.
MikePalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 14:56   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: BN-903s Dongle and OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePalmer View Post
A forum search threw this up---

To solve this problem, I was advised by a UK based expert as follows:

Set the Comm Port to Comm Port 5 in Device Manager,
Leave the Baud rate as it is, (It does not matter)
Under "Tools" in CPN, set the Comm Port to Port 5 and the Baud rate to whatever it was in Device Manager.

Then, take your laptop to some open space BECAUSE, regardless of the data stream reported by other "Find GPS" programs, OpenCPN will ONLY show your position WHEN, and ONLY WHEN, it can receive data from 4 or more satellites.

After re-setting the thing for what must be a hundred times, I took my laptop out to an area where I know my car Sat Nav gets strong signals and Whoopee!!! OpenCPN lit up and followed my boat. Well, actually, it was my car but who cares, It WORKS!!!

------ which seems to be the solution to my problem exactly---- except that I can't actually do any of it!----- starting with "Set the comm Port to Comm Port 5 in Device Manager" !! Can anyone explain how to do that please? and then perhaps I can have a look at the rest of it.

Actually the rest looks quite do-able, even to me.
Mike...in XP,it's like this.
Plug in your dongle and start your gps.Unfortunately,I'm not familiar with your dongle but I know it's bluetooth.You will have to find out which of the multitude of ports bluetooth creates is your gps.It'll be a "serial port" is my guess.But which one?For that,you must look in the software.Or use a tool like Xport,MiniGPS Lite for PC,Simplegps,to search for the nmea data stream...Google em.Get em all.Simple gps is very nice and xport CAN CHANGE THE PORT FOR YOU!..if it can find the gps now. The gps will be easier for these to find if the gps has a fix.Now,there's a choice.Would you like to go to OpenCPN and try to set it to find the gps at that port?Try this first.Even if you have to type in the port number.

Now,specific to your question:
Control Panel,System,Device Manager,look for "Ports".
Ok,there's a "+".Click it.Your gps is using one of these ports likely labelled a bluetooth serial port or similar.YOU MUST ALSO CHECK OTHER DEVICES,like modems,audio devices,even printers and these also have port numbers.This'll help narrow the search if the gps finder didn't work....and also,give you some candidates to shift UP if they are occupying ground floor suites...

Port 5 is not a special port that OpenCPN has affinity for as far as I'm aware but Ports less than "10" are good places for a gps because ...because they just are
If you MUST change the port number,you must first move the present tenant (somebody useless who doesn't pay rent)to another place .Higher above all others.

To do this.Right click it,choose properties,choose Port settings tab and FINALLY "advanced"....Port Number..see it there?Notice that clicking the scroll tells you what's in use.Pick something that isn't.You might have to reboot(restart) before moving on.
Now,repeat the process of "Port number setting changing your best guess as to the gps'port to this now-vacant port.Be methodical,and write down who you change so you can shift em all back if need be.Don't shift everything.Backtrack try again.Change as few as possible.
And then,of course,try the gps checkers and opencpn set to that port.

I hope this helps.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 13:51   #3

Thanks very much for all that. Much useful advice. A couple of problems though - the BN-903s isn't a bluetooth device it connects via USB, and there is no list of ports in Device Manager.
I will try again outside where I can see some satellites. Others have said that actually receiving a signal is essential.
I may have to return for another tutorial so please don't go away !
Old 06-04-2011, 17:00   #4

Quote:
Thanks very much for all that. Much useful advice. A couple of problems though - the BN-903s isn't a bluetooth device it connects via USB, and there is no list of ports in Device Manager.
I will try again outside where I can see some satellites. Others have said that actually receiving a signal is essential.
I may have to return for another tutorial so please don't go away !
Sorry,Mike,I looked it up and was sure it said bluetooth...my sincere apology.
I'm on XP.it looks like this,on a bad day.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard04.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	25915
Old 06-04-2011, 17:04   #5

Mike,
here's my USB gps plugged in.See?Port 9 at the bottom.By the way,I find it helps to open these picture in "a new tab" if you have firefox?i dunno about IE

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard06.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	25916
Old 13-04-2011, 13:21   #6

Thanks again Happy!
Been a bit tied up here lately adding a room to the house, and before I take the laptop outside and try again I have a small query. I bought a 12v transformer to use boat power - selectable outputs include 19 and 20 volts, but the mains transformer that came with the Dell has 19.5 volt output, so which should I go with? (or is even .5 volt either over or under equally unacceptable?)
Old 13-04-2011, 15:39   #7

Quote:
Thanks again Happy!
Been a bit tied up here lately adding a room to the house, and before I take the laptop outside and try again I have a small query. I bought a 12v transformer to use boat power - selectable outputs include 19 and 20 volts, but the mains transformer that came with the Dell has 19.5 volt output, so which should I go with? (or is even .5 volt either over or under equally unacceptable?)
Gee,Mike,you sure come up with some interesting questions!I'd try it on 19 and work the laptop hard...a movie in the dvd-rom and screen full brightness-be sure to do this.If no go,20 should be fine....be VERY careful you check the polarity before plugging that thing in.Make sure with a multimeter that polarity is correct.Frankly,I wouldn't touch such a thing with a 10 foot pikepole unless it said IBM,DELL,LENOVO,ACER etc on it but I know others have used em with success...

Myself,I prefer the AC inverter route.Why?Because the computer is somewhat protected by the OEM AC adapter as opposed to an aftermarket device providing some kind of stepped up DC-how do you suppose they do that,eh?So ,Beware for your laptop warranty.... if she's a beater,be wary just the same...
By the way,Mike,if you don't mind me saying,and I don't know your situation up there but it doesn't seem like you're surrounded by skyscrapers...?- it's darned rare you should need go outside to use a usb gps....I can use mine at the window.Open the window if you think the iron content in the glass is really high!
Aboard my fg boat,it works in the cabin,despite the dinghy ontop..(but my windows are admitted big!)...Works in the car too sitting on the dash.it's true OLD gps needed a long moment to update their almanacs and benefit from a full sky but new ones generally find themselves within a minute right out of the box.
Old 13-04-2011, 16:35   #8

Boat: Fantasia 35

It is very unlikely that the Dell can't tolerate an input voltage of +/- 10%. In your case that is about 2 volts. So, I suggest using 20 volts.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote