Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 08:34   #1

Boat: 1981 Pearson 36 Cutter
Baja Mexico Charts

Hi

I am looking for a source of electronic charts for Baja Mexico including the west coast of Baja, the Sea of Cortez, and the approaches to La Paz. I want to run these on Coastal Explorer.

Can anyone help?

Richard
SV Water Spirit
Rchrdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 08:49   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Baja Mexico Charts

Rchrdm...
Mexican government. Hidrografía

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 09:31   #3

Thanks!

I apologized, but I don't read Spanish. Could you guide me to the section of the web site that has the chart catalog and downloads? Is there a charge for downloading charts?

Richard
Old 29-01-2014, 09:42   #4

Richard...
It is all on this very page. Your first Spanish lesson:
Catalog = Catálogo
Price = Precio, Price list = Lista de precios
Chart = Carta
There are no free downloads of the charts, you have to pay for them.

Pavel
Old 29-01-2014, 09:46   #5

Thanks. I think I can handle that! (mis-spelled above, should be "apologize").

I did manage to download a chart catalog in PDF format.

Richard
Old 04-02-2014, 07:13   #6

Apparently the web site only lists the charts and does not provide a way to sell them. Does anyone know where to buy these charts? (Electronic versions)
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16   #7

Rchrdm...
You have to contact some of the bodies selling the charts - listed in the catalog under "Puntos de Venta de Cartas y Publicaciones Náuticas"

Pavel
Old 04-02-2014, 07:30   #8

Thanks. On page 9 of one of the downloads, there is a list of chart vendors. The first one has a web site, but no apparent way of buying charts on the site. The rest have email addresses and phone numbers. I'll try to contact some of them.

Is this the best source for marine charts of Baja Mexico?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:44   #9

It is the only official source of charts. I would try the first e-mail there - it's the central office, so they should at least redirect you somewhere.

Pavel
Old 09-03-2014, 23:51   #10

Hey Rchrdm,

I am looking to get maps for Baja as well. Did you have any luck with buying them? Can you recommend any of the companies on that list?

Thanks!
nbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 11:34   #11

I found some poor resolution raster charts of the Sea of Cortez, but that's about it so far. Please send me an email at rchrdm at earthlink dot net.
Old 16-03-2014, 16:28   #12

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Richard

The Mexicans are not the only source of electronic charts for the Sea of Cortez... Many companies will sell you raster or vector electronic charts.

With that said, in some places, depending on how far you go up the Sea, the charts will be inaccurate, sometimes up to a 1/4 mile off. This is because some of the Sea of Cortez has not been surveyed in over 100 years.

Find your electronic charts in the US. Once you are in La Paz, ask the local cruisers were to purchase the Sea of Cortez Paper Charts published by the Mexican Navy. They recently did some surveys or parts of the Sea and they seem to be more accurate than any other paper charts.

I didn't use raster charts, I used a Navionics Gold Chip in my Raymarine CHart Plotter, which was fairly accurate thought the Sea. When it wasn't, I would overlay my radar on the chart and determine the correction. I also didn't carry paper charts up there and found I didn't need them. I made it all the way to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) on my electronic charts. They were also very accurate on the west coast of the Baja.

I would also highly recommend Shaun Breeding and Heather Bransmer's Guide to the Sea of Cortez and Guide to Pacific Mexico. These are the BEST guide books for Pacific Mexico and will give you all the information you need, including chartlets, GPS waypoints and local knowledge.

On a side note... I spent 19 months in Mexico before heading south, through the Panama Canal, back to Mexico and eventually Florida. I covered about 9500 NM from San Francisco to Florida and if I had to do it over again, knowing what I know now... I would never have left Pacific Mexico. It is some of the most beautiful cruising grounds we saw and much cheaper than anywhere else!!!

Good luck and have a great time

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 17:03   #13

Thanks, Tom. That is all very useful information. The Mexicans have apparently done a recent update to their charts, but it is difficult to get hold of the electronic copies. I thnk they released them to the major chart vendors, such as Navonics. I did hear that Navonics was pretty good for the Sea of Cortez and I could buy these from Rose Point Marine (makers of the Coastal Explorer software I use). I am also using an iPad charting app that has pretty good charts from Blue Latitude. I don't really need anything better for now.

Nice to hear about the good sailing on the Mexican west side.

Richard
Old 16-03-2014, 22:43   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Richard

The Mexicans are not the only source of electronic charts for the Sea of Cortez... Many companies will sell you raster or vector electronic charts.

With that said, in some places, depending on how far you go up the Sea, the charts will be inaccurate, sometimes up to a 1/4 mile off. This is because some of the Sea of Cortez has not been surveyed in over 100 years.

Find your electronic charts in the US. Once you are in La Paz, ask the local cruisers were to purchase the Sea of Cortez Paper Charts published by the Mexican Navy. They recently did some surveys or parts of the Sea and they seem to be more accurate than any other paper charts.

I didn't use raster charts, I used a Navionics Gold Chip in my Raymarine CHart Plotter, which was fairly accurate thought the Sea. When it wasn't, I would overlay my radar on the chart and determine the correction. I also didn't carry paper charts up there and found I didn't need them. I made it all the way to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) on my electronic charts. They were also very accurate on the west coast of the Baja.

I would also highly recommend Shaun Breeding and Heather Bransmer's Guide to the Sea of Cortez and Guide to Pacific Mexico. These are the BEST guide books for Pacific Mexico and will give you all the information you need, including chartlets, GPS waypoints and local knowledge.

On a side note... I spent 19 months in Mexico before heading south, through the Panama Canal, back to Mexico and eventually Florida. I covered about 9500 NM from San Francisco to Florida and if I had to do it over again, knowing what I know now... I would never have left Pacific Mexico. It is some of the most beautiful cruising grounds we saw and much cheaper than anywhere else!!!

Good luck and have a great time
I have seen up to 2 miles, so far. La Paz Yachts can order the charts. Three I believe for the sea. I bought 2.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 06:08   #15

Yes, I have been in touch with La Paz Yachts, thanks.

Tags
baja, charts, Mexico