What source offers the best charts for the Bahamas
rreid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 14:36   #2

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: bahamas charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreid01 View Post
What source offers the best charts for the Bahamas
Getting them from O-Charts is probably the easiest/best. Otherwise, you're looking at getting an S-63 license and buying from Chartworld or similar for the most current set to use with OpenCPN.

As far as the accuracy of any of them, I don't have enough experience with them to advise, as I've not yet been to the Bahamas. I'd get mine from O-Charts if I was headed that direction.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 15:01   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423

Explorer Charts are considered the best. C-Map offers them. It is nice to have Explorer in electronic and paper. There is ton of good info on the paper version. Aquamap also supports Explorer on a tablet or phone. We used Navionics too in the spring of 2018. I think Navionics makes it look like there is more resolution than really exists. Either way be sure you are using updated versions.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 15:04   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423

P.S. If you are a Facebook user, there is a pretty good group over there for Bahamas Cruising. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...epa=SEARCH_BOX

This is the blog from our trip
juno423.blogspot.com
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 17:21   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Explorer Charts are considered the best. C-Map offers them. It is nice to have Explorer in electronic and paper. There is ton of good info on the paper version. Aquamap also supports Explorer on a tablet or phone. We used Navionics too in the spring of 2018. I think Navionics makes it look like there is more resolution than really exists. Either way be sure you are using updated versions.
We started with navionics chartplotter. (Also had some older paper explorer charts)We touched ground a couple spots where navionics claimed deeper. So from several friends recommendations we bought aquamaps for the tablet with Bahamas explorer charts.
It was so much better!
I highly recomend aqua maps with explorer charts
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 18:43   #6

Boat: Nauticat 32
bahamas charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post

Aren’t Explorer Charts what’s available on O-Charts. The oeRNC plug in makes them super easy to install into OpenCPN.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 22:57   #7

Boat: Dufour 35

Explorer charts are definitely the best. This subject has been discussed umpteen times on this forum. Use the search function.

Check out O- charts https://o-charts.org/shop/en/oernc/4...ts-exumas.html

Navionics charts are not recommended. Actually dangerous in some instances.

S-63 vector charts. Not recommended in this case. Useless and a waste of money, except for a few commercial harbors. The have nowhere near the coverage required by cruisers.

For Windows nv-charts is another candidate. While these charts are decent for the Bahamas, they are not quite up to Explorers standard.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, charts