Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 21:17   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
B&G wifi module interfacing to OPCPN

I have some new B&G instrumentation, Zeus chartplotter, radart, ais, etc.

There is a wifi module that allows you to mirror what you see on the chartplotter etc on your android/ios products.

I am wondering if this would be possible to connect data to a windows computer running opencpn? I would assume that if the wifi can broadcast the data out, somehow it could get picked up. I am not sure if this is an open protocol, but figure that the android/ios apps somehow are taking regular network data and displaying it?

Anyone know how this would work?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 23:30   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Re: B&G wifi module interfacing to OPCPN

The B&G Wifi module works just fine with Opencpn (and other NMEA reading software, such as Seamantec EDO Instruments). Opencpn will show your correct boat location, all AIS targets, instrumentation, waypoint, etc. If you have the 4G radar, Opencpn will also display and control that.

What it can't do is actually replicate your chartplotter screen like the mobile apps. I have not yet found a way to do that on a windows display, and I've tried things like Droid4X Android emulator.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 23:36   #3

Boat: Van Der Stadt Seal 36

I use this device (Wifi version unit) successfully between all B&G Triton, Raymarine and Vesper AIS and OCPN

ShipModul Marine Electronics

Regards
Will
CaptWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 13:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomda View Post
The B&G Wifi module works just fine with Opencpn (and other NMEA reading software, such as Seamantec EDO Instruments). Opencpn will show your correct boat location, all AIS targets, instrumentation, waypoint, etc. If you have the 4G radar, Opencpn will also display and control that.

What it can't do is actually replicate your chartplotter screen like the mobile apps. I have not yet found a way to do that on a windows display, and I've tried things like Droid4X Android emulator.
Whomda, thanks. Are there instructions to connect opencpn to wifi module. the module works in access point or client mode. Access point gives access to the data, so if i download the app to my tablet/phone, i can see it like on the chartplotter. client mode gives my b&g chartplotter access to the internet, which is not what I want.

But I don't know how to setup opencpn. Is it as simple as just connecting my laptop to the wifi module, and the data will then appear on opencpn?

http://www.bandg.com/Documents/produ...language=en-GB
Old 15-05-2016, 16:13   #5

Boat: Baltic 43

thanks for starting thread, found it by doing search as I to have a B&G Zeus touch and trying to figure out how to get gps, etc. info onto opencpn.
looking forward to whatever intel there is on this subject.
john
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 23:34   #6

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

If you know your display's IP address you can use a GoFree enabled plotter as an Ethernet TCP server for NMEA 0183 data. Go to Network > NMEA0183 > Ethernet for information on how to connect your app. My HDS is only connected to NMEA 2000 sensors, but it generates a full NMEA 0183 stream with all available data (sensors, GPS, AIS). It even includes a non-standard sentence so that air temperature, heel, trim, barometer and rudder data can be transferred. Very well done! - See more at: Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: A closer look at Lowrance's HDS Gen2 Touch

The Ethernet page will show the IP address and TCP port number (10110) that you can use to connect OpenCPN.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 06:26   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Your WiFi module must be in access point mode for anything external to work. I only find client mode useful for software updates.

Settings for Opencpn:

Tools->Options->Connections

Add Connection
Type: Network
Protocol: TCP
Address: (Your Zeus IP Address, something like 192.168.0.95, but can be set on your chartplotter)
DataPort: 10110

The rest of the settings as default or your preference
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 14:31   #8

Boat: Baltic 43

thanks Merrimac and whomda
was able to connect gps through my gofree wifi. it was the port data I didn't have correct. although I couldn't find where to put my wireless module to access point mode. ckd my MFD for wifi settings and my ipad is the only addition
anyway, the gps works so I will explore opencpn and see what other options are available to interact with my Zeus touch like radar and such.
thanks again.
john
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 15:43   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Go to B&G website see what Apps work with their wifi interface. You do not need OpenCPN for that. How would you like to use two at once? Overlaid?

Windows is Windows, for a reason, just start the B&G App in a separate window and place the two side by side.

?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 19:01   #10

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Some other information here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-160190.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-166258-2.html
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:32   #11

OK, need to bump this up again as I am trying to connect, but unsuccessfully. No problem putting the zeus in access point mode. Connect the laptop to zeus wifi. gives me a connection w no internet present, not a problem. Zeus at 192,160.0.10

Go under tools, add this tcp and dataport recommended.

Where would i see anything now on opencpn chart. I was hoping that boat location should be shown from gps info transmitted, ais info being transmitted, even hoping that I would be showing wind etc info? I think I am connecting, but not enabling something? Should I be seeing a dialog box, or tranmission of nmea?

I am back at the boat this weekend, still on the hard, but will take some screenshots if need be.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

(...)

There is a wifi module that allows you to mirror what you see on the chartplotter etc on your android/ios products.

I am wondering if this would be possible to connect data to a windows computer running opencpn? I would assume that if the wifi can broadcast the data out ...

(...)
If Zeus App can display the screen and control it, this has nothing to do with apparent data availability. Note where I made your own words bold. Zeus App does not seem to be data based, it feels much more like remote desktop style of control.

Can you PLS make our life easier and link directly to the part of your manual where it says there is nmea data being sent out by your unit over wifi/tcp/udp.

And then we can start talking. Otherwise we could be searching for the black cat. ;-)

Cheers,
b.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:27   #13

Quote:

(...)

Where would i see anything now on opencpn chart. I was hoping that boat location should be shown from gps info transmitted, ais info being transmitted, even hoping that I would be showing wind etc info?

(...)
There is a nmea data flow window in OpenCPN connections "Show nmea debud window". You click it after you enter all relevant net connection parameters and accept it (=you make the connection).

Except it only shows data when data is being sent (and received).

Are you sure your unit SENDS nmea data over wifi?

barnakiel
Old 11-05-2017, 11:39   #14

thanks for replying. sorry if not clear. don't care about the gofree wifi app that mirrors the display on my phone or tablet. I already have a 12" chartplotter so this is just silly to mirror it on a tiny screen..

I am trying to get nmea data from chartplotter/radar/ais etc to opencpn. Pretty sure that this is being sent via wifi. But I guess that is point of my thread. Whodma above says that it should happen. I have it connected (I think), but I guess I am not sure it is either working, or I am working it correctly.

Where would I see this information being displayed in opencpn? The boat can't move yet, but it should show up on the chart I would think. So should ais info from surrounding boats. What about depth and wind speed, angle etc?
Old 11-05-2017, 16:50   #15

Quote:

(...)

I am trying to get nmea data from chartplotter/radar/ais etc to opencpn.

Pretty sure that this is being sent via wifi.

Whodma above says that it should happen.

Where would I see this information being displayed in opencpn?
Have you read my posts above?

I repeat: In OpenCPN : Options/Connections - first add a new connection and set it up with the net parameters as specified by your Zeus manual / your PC wifi adapter connection properties. Accept the setup. Now you have the connection and you can look up what comes thru it.

Once you have set up this connection, tick the "Show NMEA Debug Window" (it is towards the top part of the am Options/Connections screen). This opens a new window that shows all and any data that flows thru OpenCPN. (beware the data flow window may be obscured by the Options/Connections dialog window - move this one or close it).

If the window is there but it is empty - no data is being received.

As for Whodma knowing - send a PM to Whodma ask him HOW. It is great to know something is possible it is twice as great to know how things get done.

I have again made bold the parts of your post where you may be wrong. PLS read my two replies earlier today.

A cat is considered dead unless proven otherwise. I will be very happy to learn it IS alive. Just I have read Zeus3 manual and did not see any indication that nmea data is being sent over wifi AP.

So PLS do me a favour and let me know which Zeus, which manual and page you are reading. Then let's come back to the matter if we do find a proof from B&G where they say it is possible.

I have a cheapo old tablet here that can simulate a wifi plotter and send data over wifi AP. Then I can connect this PC to it and show you where the data is seen in OpenCPN but this is not the point. The point is your Zeus may not be sending nmea over wifi AP.

Let's start at the beginning: Zeus plotter model? Instruction manual link? Which page of it says what you want is possible.

Over and out, but will be again online tomorrow. Maybe you will have it solved by then. If so, PLS post the recipe for success so that us here can use the new knowledge.

Cheers,
barnakiel

Tags
wifi