Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 14:09   #1

B&G 3G radar display not making sense

Hi,
Trying to get radar to display in OpenCPN however keeps displaying information that doesnt match coastline or location.

Radar image seems to tear - gaps between returns, and notice "laggy" or program seems to stop responding, example when selecting radar options there is a delay between selecting and actioning.
Also scan is not fluid, seems to start and stop.
Task manager cpu, ram and gpu usage all ok.

Have tried Navico BR24, 3G and 4Ga, no change.

Noticed when starts scan, packets says 160+ but then says 15/0 when finished sweep. Spokes also 4300, but then says 400/0/15 when complete

Using Open CPN 5.2.4
Radar plugin 5.1.4
Windows 10 Getac V110
B&G 3G radome, has ethernet connection direct to laptop

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radar.png
Views:	92
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	228262  
Mattzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:09   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: B&G 3G radar display not making sense

Mattzilla..
First:
With that firmware date you should use radar type: Navico 3G.
Next:
Ive a 3G and it works wo problem. Have you checked the scanner for failures? When transmit does it rotate as it should? Is the drive belt OK and not slippage? Is it dry inside or should you take it indoor without the cover. If possible test it also with a MFD.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:00   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Same here, no problem using (from memory) the BR24 plugin and the 3G on both a PC and a rPi. I'd eliminate the basics and try it with another ethernet cable if you can. In my experience the vast majority of these sorts of issues tend to be cabling related rather than hardware failures. If you're connecting via a switch (which my setup does so it should be expected to work all things being good), see what happens if that is taken our of the circuit too just in case it's causing dramas.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:44   #4

Thanks for the input.
I am trying to get my laptop to interface with this setup, I have not checked the cable from radome, or the operation as is in situ up the mast.
Previous owner had this setup working with Open CPN version 4 I believe.
I have changed the short ethernet cable from loom to laptop and no change.

Sounds like a hardware issue as opposed to software or configuration, have no MFD but will put on list of things to check when back in port.

Cheers
Old 08-12-2020, 02:54   #5

Is it possile to find old version 4 and compatible Navico plugin to try?
I disabled all other plugins and seems to scan smoother, and no program not respondings/lag, however the data displayed still seems irrelevant to whats surrounding me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radar 2.png
Views:	74
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	228288  
Old 08-12-2020, 04:00   #6

Since you've a 3G, like me, the radar_pi version 4 will likely not make any difference.

Your last picture is somewhat similar to an old BR24 I've exchanged to a new 3G. Also a lot irrelevant echoes shaped as yours. What if you change the range to closest possible? There is mine still "nearly" working at home for plugin test purposes.

re:"I have changed the short ethernet cable from loom to laptop and no change."
This is likely not the cause but do you've a RJ45 connector somewhere in the loom. Check for oxide, moisture or similar.

Also far fetched but try to increase ->Installation->Interference rejection to avoid any possible influence from other scanners around.

Mast climbing next?
Håkan
Old 08-12-2020, 10:22   #7

Tried zooming in and adjusting those settings, no effect.
I did change the bearing alignment to what previous owner had (120) in his settings that just moved the echos.
He also said should be strong land echos and was working. I recall seeing it working on his laptop in the marina less than a month ago and has not worked on mine properly since picked up yacht.
However I no longer have access to his laptop to test - all I know was a version 4 install with old plugin.
What about graphics card incompatibilities causing it to display incorrectly - my laptop says Intel 5500.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radar3.png
Views:	58
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	228305  
Old 11-12-2020, 21:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Mattzilla..
First:
With that firmware date you should use radar type: Navico 3G.
Next:
Ive a 3G and it works wo problem. Have you checked the scanner for failures? When transmit does it rotate as it should? Is the drive belt OK and not slippage? Is it dry inside or should you take it indoor without the cover. If possible test it also with a MFD.
Håkan

Hej Håkan,

I fired up the radar while underway, and interestingly seem to get the same radar image pattern as had at the last location.
Maybe the belt is broken - if that were the case, would the radar app ppi still appear to scan on the laptop by completing the 360 degree sweep?

Mine does the sweep, but the returns look almost identical to what I had at last location. I did check the physical connections up the mast but looks like remove radome time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radar.png
Views:	67
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	228501  
Old 06-01-2021, 15:53   #9

Quick update on this - Have removed radome from mast, opened up and drive belt is in excellent condition, turns freely by hand which is a bit disappointing as was hoping that was issue!

Next step is to try and get hold of another cable to bench test unit and /or try on MFD to prove radome is ok.
Old 22-01-2021, 16:32   #10

Update - updated firmware and tried on MFD with a new loom on the bench - looks like same issue on MFD - that is echos not matching terrain.

Looks like radome issue/repair or replace time...
Old 23-01-2021, 00:34   #11

Mattzilla..
Thanks for the report.
Sorry to read about the failure you've experienced but it's good you've verified it's not an radar_pi issue.
Obviously things like this can happen. As mentioned I'd a similar fault on my now replaced BR24. (But that one I now use for some radar_pi tests at home.)
Håkan
Old 10-02-2021, 15:34   #12

Final update to my story - just fitted a Halo20+ to the mast, and so far working great! The detail is amazing. Happy that diagnosis was correct!!!
Thanks for advice and help from everyone.

Seems my symptom with the old 3G was same as Hakan saw - that is internal hardware issue.

Question - What is difference between HaloA or HaloB? Currently on HaloA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Halo20.png
Views:	64
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	232275  
Old 10-02-2021, 22:12   #13

Matzilla..
Very good. Thanks for the report.
A/B: The Halo supports two independent radar scanners. Select to use both and you can for example have the A for long range on one canvas overlay and the B for short range on the other. Or any combination of PPI's and overlay you may find useful.

Tags
radar