Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2017, 21:47   #1

Automate the GRIB files retrieval

Hi All,

Currently using OpenCPN with the GRIB viewer, and using the email transaction to retrieve GRIB files.
Is there a way to just get OpenCPN download the GRIB files from a web service instead of manually sending an email then storing the attachement received?

Thank you
rodanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 03:53   #2

Re: Automate the GRIB files retrieval

I use ZyGrib to view and download gribs while I have Internet access. This is mentioned near the bottom of the Grib Plugin section of the OpenCPN Manual.

Quote:
More to know

ZyGrib is a free and open-source software (FOSS) dedicated grib viewer. Grib files can be downloaded by ZyGrib and then opened in OpenCPN.
Here is the link to ZyGrib.org:

zyGrib: grib file, weather data visualization

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 04:25   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodanger View Post
Hi All,

Currently using OpenCPN with the GRIB viewer, and using the email transaction to retrieve GRIB files.
Is there a way to just get OpenCPN download the GRIB files from a web service instead of manually sending an email then storing the attachement received?

Thank you
Been thinking the same recently, but not getting very far. Looks like you can get gribs using command line scripts or curl but too complex for me so far, maybe a few late nights with buckets of coffee might get somewhere , another possibility might be using node-red to send and recieve the emails then save the attachment somewhere but again, first glance looks like the stock email node isn't great with attachments.
Anyone know more care to share? Would be nice always having the most recent grib saved automatically. Ta
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 04:57   #4

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Been thinking the same recently, but not getting very far. Looks like you can get gribs using command line scripts or curl but too complex for me so far, maybe a few late nights with buckets of coffee might get somewhere , another possibility might be using node-red to send and recieve the emails then save the attachment somewhere but again, first glance looks like the stock email node isn't great with attachments.
Anyone know more care to share? Would be nice always having the most recent grib saved automatically. Ta
Some functions of the grib plugin has been used from the sources of zyGrib which is opensource with source code available. But sadly not any function to get easily grib data. A server is needed to process the users requests and get the specified data from NOAA sending them to the requesting user done by php scripts. Reading the sources of zyGrib anyone can see how this works.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 05:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Folks...

Take a look at this:

GRIB Filter

and this:
Scripting grib_filter on NCEP's nomads server

Several GRIB models are available....

Essentially, you build a complex URL with many parameters, and submit a GET method call to the NOAA servers. Down comes the filtered GRIB.

Would be a nice addition to the GRIB Plugin...

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 06:58   #6

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

We cannot use the code in zygrib for this without permission from zygrib as it would use the server's bandwidth for opencpn use.

I think grabbing directly from noaa as mentioned should be implemented, but also possible is to host grib data from opencpn.org? Do we have the bandwidth to run a webapp for this?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 07:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

Sean...

opencpn.org bandwidth: Of course, we don't know how much demand we would see from a grib server, so it would be hard to estimate. But surely it is worth prototyping, just to see....

If we need more bandwidth from our ISP, we could fund this by donations, I would think.

First GRIB model to consider, I think, would be NOAA RTOFS. NOAA discontinued the grib-filter support for this model, so there is no easy way to get reduced-area/reduced-value GRIBs from this model. It is all, or nothing. All is huge....

And then maybe the high-definition Euro models....

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 08:40   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Sean...

[snip]

And then maybe the high-definition Euro models....

Dave
The 0.01° gribs from Meteo-France (AromeHD) are available in 'chunks' covering a large part of Western Europe here (courtesy of Olivier Bouyssou of Weather4D fame) (Grib1 format, wind and sea-level pressure, North Sea, Channel, France Atlantic, Lion Gulf, Corsica, Balearic Islands, 8 to 23 Mo, hourly for 2 days)
Index of /AromeHD
They are extracted from HUGE public downloads (in grib2 format, with a wealth of parameters at many altitude levels available from Meteo-France)
Answering a question of mine on a French Forum when first announced, Olivier mentioned that he did not fear being overwhelmed by download requests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	149953   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot 001.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	149954  

Name:	ScreenShot 002.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	149955   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot 003.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	149956  

Name:	ScreenShot 004.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	149957   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot 005.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	149958  

Name:	ScreenShot 006.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	149959  
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 03:01   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yes. This would be ideal. I also think the download page would be popular.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:53   #10

We shouldn't lose track of this for NCEP nomads. I have put in a request to to reenable the Gribs filter for rtofs and it was received positively, with a response that they would put it on the list for the next cycle and would try to do it.

The area where rtofs need improvement, I believe, is in the representation of near coastal tidal currents. There are significant commercial advantages in making these improvements, including assisting in hurricane surge predictions, neap (period of moderate tides after equinoxal) and excessive equinoxal tides, in a time when coastal assets are at risk. However logical this is, the agency is stressed to even provide the current assets and resources, is under funded and will not be able to provide improvements, without having greater support from the administration and congress.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:57   #11

So yes, I think a website page that enables all sailors to utilize the present assets would be very helpful, and I would hope the community would pitch in and help get bdbcat's suggestion going in whatever way they can help. I will certainly try to help.

Tags
rib