Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2019, 19:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Asus Tinkerboard Install

Ok I am trying to upgrade from a Pi with the OpenCPN OS to the Asus Tinkerboard. I was having issues trying to figure out how to install OpenCPN on my new Tinkerboard. I figured I would update people of the process here.

I got the ppa in and with a little work got OpenCPN installed.

First I installed the root user so I didn't have to sudo my commands so if you are a regular user you might need sudo in front of these
"sudo passwd root" change password
"sudo passwd -u root" unlock root
"su" change to root

To get the ppa installed these were the steps I took
First I had to "apt install software-properties-common"

We are also missing dirmngr
"apt install dirmngr"

I also install nano because it is an easy text editor
"apt install nano"

This lets us install the PPA repository, but there is an issue with getting the key so we run
"apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 67E4A52AC865EB40"
It should mention adding or getting key "Launchpad PPA for OpenCPN"

Then add the ppa

"add-apt-repository ppapencpn/opencpn"

The next issue was there was a lot of dependencies missing that I couldn't add so we modify the build by going into the repository file
"nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/open*"
And changed disco to xenial. That was the only build that didn't give me errors.

"apt update"
"apt install opencpn"

It was in my education folder under the windows???(sorry) menu

I hope this helps someone else and plan on updating it as things progress

My next step will be trying to get an AIS radio installed similar to the one on the Pi OS, verifying GPS works(when I get out to the boat), and getting VNC viewer installed
clion520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 18:28   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Asus Tinkerboard Install

I apologize I do not know how to edit my post. I can't see an edit button on the topic or in my profile.

UPDATE
Ok so I'm running into a couple of issues

I think I was able to get the AIS setup using OpenCPN software but I was being silly and trying to shift my install location using a usb extender for my usb hub and kept crashing. The problem is I formated and couldn't get back there easily. Now onto the installs.

To install GPS.
Add a connection choose Serial for the type/radio button
Dataport should be easily identifiable mine was /dev/ttyAMC0 - ........ GPS/GNSS Receiver
If you run into this problem finding this and have issues troubleshooting it let me know
Then change your Baudrate(I believe most are 9600 but you will have to verify yours)
Then I have always read to make priority 0
Apply then you should be good to go

To install VNC
I was unable to get the GUI for RealVNC or get any setup that looked close to the Pi so I followed
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-273.html
and installed x11vnc
I can attach to it using VNCviewer like I would for the Pi
I also haven't gone through setting up a PAN??(Personal Area Network or whatever to share wifi)

Now on to the AIS.
The process of using OpenCPN software requires adding like 3 other programs, I think RTL-SDR radio, aisdecoder1.0.0.0, and one other I can't remember(why I passed by this installation this time)

I found
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tuto...ship-tracking/
and used AISdeco2 from that site
You need to add a connection in OpenCPN
Add a connection choose Network for the type/radio button
For Protocol choose UDP for the type/radio button
Address is 127.0.0.1
DataPort is 10110
Again Priority 0
Apply and on to installing and running AISdeco2
I am having a hard time getting onto the AISdeco2 site so here is the tar/gz file(if the link breaks let me know)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bj...dVYjgAf6gAjEKY
Extract the tar/gz file(I put it in folder ais in my home)
This is the command(again mine is in home/ais) to get it up and running, I know you need to get your own freq-correction(mine is -98 if you don't know it check the readme for a program and walkthrough to find it)
"./ais/aisdeco2 --freq-correction -98 --udp 127.0.0.1:10110"
let the window sit open in the background

I believe this is working properly but my boat is stuck in my slip and my AIS target is not here currently(checked on a known good system, the Pi)
If there are any issues I will update again but if not this is as far as I am currently taking things(I will set up a PAN so I don't need wifi to connect to my VNC but won't post that update). I don't have a radar and until I have a backup I will not change my depth finder to something I have questions on, maybe when I get more comfortable with my area I will try to add in other features but as of now this works for me.

Thank you all for your time and good luck in your boating adventures, be safe out there
clion520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 22:52   #3
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clion520 View Post
I apologize I do not know how to edit my post. I can't see an edit button on the topic or in my profile.

UPDATE
Ok so I'm running into a couple of issues

I think I was able to get the AIS setup using OpenCPN software but I was being silly and trying to shift my install location using a usb extender for my usb hub and kept crashing. The problem is I formated and couldn't get back there easily. Now onto the installs.

To install GPS.
Add a connection choose Serial for the type/radio button
Dataport should be easily identifiable mine was /dev/ttyAMC0 - ........ GPS/GNSS Receiver
If you run into this problem finding this and have issues troubleshooting it let me know
Then change your Baudrate(I believe most are 9600 but you will have to verify yours)
Then I have always read to make priority 0
Apply then you should be good to go

To install VNC
I was unable to get the GUI for RealVNC or get any setup that looked close to the Pi so I followed
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-273.html
and installed x11vnc
I can attach to it using VNCviewer like I would for the Pi
I also haven't gone through setting up a PAN??(Personal Area Network or whatever to share wifi)

Now on to the AIS.
The process of using OpenCPN software requires adding like 3 other programs, I think RTL-SDR radio, aisdecoder1.0.0.0, and one other I can't remember(why I passed by this installation this time)

I found
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tuto...ship-tracking/
and used AISdeco2 from that site
You need to add a connection in OpenCPN
Add a connection choose Network for the type/radio button
For Protocol choose UDP for the type/radio button
Address is 127.0.0.1
DataPort is 10110
Again Priority 0
Apply and on to installing and running AISdeco2
I am having a hard time getting onto the AISdeco2 site so here is the tar/gz file(if the link breaks let me know)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bj...dVYjgAf6gAjEKY
Extract the tar/gz file(I put it in folder ais in my home)
This is the command(again mine is in home/ais) to get it up and running, I know you need to get your own freq-correction(mine is -98 if you don't know it check the readme for a program and walkthrough to find it)
"./ais/aisdeco2 --freq-correction -98 --udp 127.0.0.1:10110"
let the window sit open in the background

I believe this is working properly but my boat is stuck in my slip and my AIS target is not here currently(checked on a known good system, the Pi)
If there are any issues I will update again but if not this is as far as I am currently taking things(I will set up a PAN so I don't need wifi to connect to my VNC but won't post that update). I don't have a radar and until I have a backup I will not change my depth finder to something I have questions on, maybe when I get more comfortable with my area I will try to add in other features but as of now this works for me.

Thank you all for your time and good luck in your boating adventures, be safe out there
I use aisdeco with a sdr too.

If you use the --no-console (check syntax) command line switch you dont get any output, in the terminal window, and can close the term. Cleans things up a bit.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, clion.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:11   #5

Hi
You can find a illustration of the performances here

https://youtu.be/0EMTQcx-90E
S version has more performances than this (standard version with sd card)
jrtimjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:07   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

What do users think of the asus tinker board as compared to RPI 3/4 for OpenCPN?

It's OS is tinker OS (debian variant), Ubuntu variants (Elar Systems) and Android. Would this work with OpenPlotter?

ASUS SBC Tinker board RK3288 SoC 1.8GHz Quad Core CPU, 600MHz Mali-T764 GPU, 2GB $63

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Tinker_Board

https://www.asus.com/us/Single-Board.../Tinker-Board/

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/20...spberry-pi-3-b
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:24   #7

I made test with different os : Armbian , android, elar-system, but the only one that can read 4k video is Iinaro. I use only opencpn and i have not made test about openplotter installation.
jrtimjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
What do users think of the asus tinker board as compared to RPI 3/4 for OpenCPN?

It's OS is tinker OS (debian variant), Ubuntu variants (Elar Systems) and Android. Would this work with OpenPlotter?

ASUS SBC Tinker board RK3288 SoC 1.8GHz Quad Core CPU, 600MHz Mali-T764 GPU, 2GB $63

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Tinker_Board

https://www.asus.com/us/Single-Board.../Tinker-Board/

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/20...spberry-pi-3-b
Not using a tinkerboard myself, but an Odroid.

Why do you think OpenPlotter would not work?

In short:
- opencpn and xygrib in openplotter did not work (with an 32-bit linux it should work without problems, with 64-bit it won't)
- openplotter-i2c needs /dev/i2c-1 (it crudely rejects i2c-0 and ignores i2c-2)
- SignalK, CanBus, Serial, PyPilot and I2C work (with above remarks)
- OpenPlotter blocks installation of certain script through the self.isRPI variable. This is mostly some quick&dirty exclusion to differentiate between intel and arm, but it also blocks different arm SBC's.

Ultimately I ended up using only pypilot, i2c and signalK. Canbus can be omitted when using candlelight and serial also only adds an extra userinterface you can live without.

When I say "it crudely rejects" you can read it as "the python script can be changed to fit another SBC when only the port changes".
hreuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:28   #9

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtimjak View Post
I made test with different os : Armbian , android, elar-system, but the only one that can read 4k video is Iinaro. I use only opencpn and i have not made test about openplotter installation.
I would like to hear about your and other's experience using OpenGL/Gles on the Tinkerboard with OpenCPN. I am back using my laptop after trying a PI4. Radar and tactics_pi overlay on the PI4 graphic chip was dismal. I am hoping my (older) Tinkerboard with a Mali graphics chip will do better.

Any advice on what distribution to start with (Armbian/Ubuntu/..)?

Thanks

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote