Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 18:31   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Artisense NG-1 Problem Fixed

A larger boat has had an Artisense NG-1 installed for use with Routing Software (Opencpn) to provide Nmea data via a USB cable.

After installing the NG-1 driver, rebooting several times and finally getting to the good old Device Manager in Win10 (simply right click and look for it), which showed the USB Artisense NG-1 and under Ports showed a COM7 NG-1.

We then went to Opencpn Option settings under Connections and made a new connection picking Com7, but at 4800 and 38,400 baud nothing showed. Finally after looking at Artisense's Nmea software we saw it was running at something like 112,200 baud. I had never heard of using that, but when this was set in Opencpn, the Nmea debug window showed sentences but they did not appear to be Nmea, just gibberish after the first part.

Then we realized that Opencpn was trying to read NMEA2000!

After review of the documentation they realized we needed a different Artisense device, but they quickly found the instructions had a wiring workaround to provide Nmea0183 to Opencpn.

So, just remember to get the right Artisense device, the one for Nmea018 and OpenCPN, it just makes it easier. Then NG-1 can be changed to 0183 however.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 22:13   #2

Re: Artisense NG-1 Problem Fixed

can you please elaborate on this "wireing workaround" . I have often wondered, that the nmea2k option in the ocpn connection dialog is never enabled.
another option could be openplotter
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:42   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Artisense NG-1 Problem Fixed

Look at the manual, it details this. You have to pop open the Artisense cover and do the wiring shown in the manual.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote