Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2020, 09:13   #1

Any Advice please - Garmin HD18 with OpenCPN

HI,
First post on here (long time lurker), so, I hope I've put this in the right place.
I'm trying to connect a Garmin HD18 scanner unit to a Pi3, without success.
I've tried different Versions of Openplotter and opencpn along with the Gradar Plugin and the latest Radar-Pi 5. all to no avail.
I've also tried using my windows 7 laptop. I was running OpenCPN V5.
and tried rolling back to V4 and the Gradar_pi 1.5 plugin. All options have been fraught with error messages and issues!
Can someone point me in the right direction for an OpenCPN version and Radar plugin that will work together with my scanner.

At the moment, I can't get the scanner to power up reliably - Is this because I'm not establishing Ethernet communications?
I'm connecting with 2 patch cables and a F-F Crossover adapter and Grounding pin 5 (as shown in the Gradar documentation) - A couple of times this has initiated a scanner warm up (I have the cover off, so, can see it rotate), but, not every time...

Any pointers will be gratefully received and may prevent me pulling the rest of my hair out!
Jontysutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 14:55   #2

Re: Any Advice please - Garmin HD18 with OpenCPN

I am using the same radar with openCPN 4.8.4, GRadar 1.5 with success for 5 years now.
In regards to the cables, I am using the GARMIN cable provided with the radar, connected to the little component (forgot the name) that allows me to ground the pin 5.
Network adapter needs some config, as per the document, nothing else.
However, I recently had problems powering up the radar and it was due to a problem with the cable: The shield around the data cables is used for the ground and it is VERY fragile. it was damaged where the cable foes into the mast. Not completely cut but enough so it was always powering ON and OFF. I did solve the problem by cuttong the cable, crimp a new connector and protect the cable with a piece of hose around.
Hope it helps
lillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 10:52   #3

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Any Advice please - Garmin HD18 with OpenCPN

Read more about lillu's wise advice here: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...lation-(Garmin)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, garmin, lease, opencpn