Originally Posted by nohal
Maybe, maybe not. Currently there is no support for animated PNGs in wxWidgets so it would be, to say the least, "a bit complicated". The amount of time I personally am willing to invest into such a feature is exactly none.
If the new .PNG animations are not supported by wxWidgets, how about the long standing animated .GIF format?
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra
if you could give a compelling reason it would help as I cannot see a reason why it could be useful.
Far more than simply creating silly animated icons like blowing kisses, rolling eyes or similar, there are a number of valid reasons for animated icons;
1. It adds realism to charts
2. It will be most useful for lights - especially light houses with timed light sequences,
3. User's can easily create all the light houses for the planned route
for easy identification once on route
- without having to search List of Light tables.
4. It will cause the icon to stand out against the clutter found in busy waters.
5. A database of these animated lights with it GPS
co-ordinates can be made available to all users.
6. It will be another feature exclusive to OpenCPN.
7. And many other useful features.