Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2021, 02:02   #1

Android tablet and SD card

I do not have enough memory on my tablet so I tried to use an SD card to store my maps, but it seems that Open CPN is not able to read them from that location. Funny thing is that I have downloaded on the SD card, same folder, also some geotegged satellite images and they are visible.
Any suggestion?
Thanks
Giovanni
arcticsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 04:15   #2

Boat: BENETEAU
Re: Android tablet and SD card

Hi Giovanni,

Are you using Dave's Register version?

I am usin this version and everything is working well, maps & currents are stored on an SD card.

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 05:16   #3

Boat: Amel Sharki

Why not go to the special Android forum of the payed version? Even if it might be difficult to get an account for it as seen in the many complaints for it here.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 06:19   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

In Settings!Charts!Add Directory you should see at the top two tabs: Device and SD card. Select the SD card and add the directory. When asked, give permission for access.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:15   #5

Hi Paul. I am using the free version and I have not been able to see what are the differences between the free and the paid versions.
My problem is that in Settings!Charts!Add Directory the program does not let me change directory nor it does let me see the SD card. Climbing the directory tree it stops at /storage/emulated/0
Old 07-03-2021, 07:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticsailing View Post
Hi Paul. I am using the free version and I have not been able to see what are the differences between the free and the paid versions.
My problem is that in Settings!Charts!Add Directory the program does not let me change directory nor it does let me see the SD card. Climbing the directory tree it stops at /storage/emulated/0
Do you see the Tabs at the top that I mentioned above? Maybe invest the 10 dollars in the paid download?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:29   #7

No, the tabs are not there. Of course a quick fix could be investing the 10 $. I probably will do it near the day I will be back to sea (sigh!). In fact it was pure annoyance for a SW that does not perform as it should. Thanks for the attention, Paul.
All teh best.
Giovanni
Old 07-03-2021, 08:50   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41

Updated and many more plugins: one of MANY reasons to go for "paid" version. Plus SUPPORT!
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:05   #9

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
I will emphasise that version has lots of bugs and is over 6 years out of date.

Download the $10 Dave Register version and learn to use it long before you need it on the water, It's very different to the one you've been having problems with.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 19:40   #10

Quote:
No, the tabs are not there. Of course a quick fix could be investing the 10 $. I probably will do it near the day I will be back to sea (sigh!). In fact it was pure annoyance for a SW that does not perform as it should. Thanks for the attention, Paul.
All teh best.
Giovanni
The paid version is much more up todate. But don't get your hopes up too much. I run it with CM93 charts, lots of satellite kap and mbtiles files, etc. In this configuration on my Samsung tablet it is not all that stable. I often have to kill the app as the menu and control bar stops working. It also often ends up with the chart selection tabs off screen and unreachable. A pain when I am using it to view Sat images while working my way through coral bommies.
Old 07-03-2021, 21:13   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The paid version is much more up todate. But don't get your hopes up too much. I run it with CM93 charts, lots of satellite kap and mbtiles files, etc. In this configuration on my Samsung tablet it is not all that stable. I often have to kill the app as the menu and control bar stops working. It also often ends up with the chart selection tabs off screen and unreachable. A pain when I am using it to view Sat images while working my way through coral bommies.
I do the same... LOTS of satellite charts, mbtiles, CM93, oesenc, raster. I do NOT have these issues on any frequent or regular basis.

The only explanation I can see is that I am running on top-of-the-line (in mid 2020) Tab S6 with max memory & storage.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 21:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
I do the same... LOTS of satellite charts, mbtiles, CM93, oesenc, raster. I do NOT have these issues on any frequent or regular basis.

The only explanation I can see is that I am running on top-of-the-line (in mid 2020) Tab S6 with max memory & storage.
Mine is a Galaxy Tab A6.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:47   #13

Thanks. I'll do it!
Old 08-03-2021, 03:57   #14

In 2019 during the NortEast Passage I used very satisfactorily the C-Map application Embark because of the possiblity to use the updated russian maps (paid). But in the Arctic and more so willing to sail beyond 80° north there are no electronic maps available or not very reliable and it is necessary to use KAP or even better mbtiles satellite photos downloaded through sat2chart and sasplanet sw (this is what I use) and painfully downloading lots of them to be usen with OpenCPN. Whel I sailed the Pacific using satellite photos was a brand new technique and non very easy to do. There are still lots of submerged reefs not photografed yet (ex. Bevridge Reef).