Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2021, 00:05   #1

Android OpenCPN ENCs

I have been using OpenCPN for some time on Android with raster (BSB) charts. But it looks like the Android version of OpenCPN can't decrypt S-63 encrypted ENCs.

Windows, Mac and some other versions of OpenCPN have a plugin for S-63, but not Android, as far as I can see from the official OpenCPN download page. Despite that:
1. this page says the android version can display S-63 ENCs (https://download.cnet.com/OpenCPN/3000-20426_4-77410680.html : "IHO S52 compliant display of worldwide S57 and S63 vector charts.")
2. The Android version of the OpenCPN manual talks about a plugin for S-63 ENCs.

This all looks confused. Please can someone tell me the story on this and give me some pointers to how to go about setting up OpenCPN to work with S-63 ENCs (if it does).

Thanks
DerekN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 01:46   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Android OpenCPN ENCs

There is actually no S-63 plug-in for Android. With NZ switching their public charts to S-63 there is now some more motivation to add S-63 to Android, but this not a one-day task.

At this moment S-63 cells can be used under Debian/Ubuntu/Raspian/OtherLinuxDistros, Windows and macOS.

The presentation of S-57 and S-63 cells is identical - well, S-63 cells are encrypted S-57 cells.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 02:20   #3

Thanks. I downloaded some S-57 charts into Android and they seemed ok.
Old 26-10-2021, 02:25   #4
bcn

S-57 is the base format for OpenCPN.

For which region did you plan to use S-63?
Old 26-10-2021, 09:05   #5

Well, initially I was looking at NZ, since I see they are dropping raster charts in future. But having read about vector charts, I understand many authorities (including Australia) are using S-63. So it seems to be becoming important. Personally, I think its an insane idea to encrypt charts. Countries like NZ have made electronic versions of their charts free and downloadable - now they want to lock them up subject to access certificates. Absurdly retrograde.
Old 26-10-2021, 10:27   #6
bcn

The background of going S-63 in the case of NZ is the title "Official Charts": valid as carriage requirements.
Boils down to controlled distribution.
In case of NZ the only cost is the S-63 UserPermit, the cells and updates are free.

In AUS the situation is a bit different. The S-63 sets do cost some money, quite some in case you want the complete collection.
Alternative are licensed charts as those from o-charts for OpenCPN which have the same content and update frequency. However we can't call those "Official" ones. https://o-charts.org/shop/en/12-oeevc

Hubert
Old 26-10-2021, 15:08   #7

Boat: Ganley Timerider
Send a message via Skype™ to Al Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekN View Post
Well, initially I was looking at NZ, since I see they are dropping raster charts in future. But having read about vector charts, I understand many authorities (including Australia) are using S-63. So it seems to be becoming important. Personally, I think its an insane idea to encrypt charts. Countries like NZ have made electronic versions of their charts free and downloadable - now they want to lock them up subject to access certificates. Absurdly retrograde.

Although LINZ in NZ had stated their intent to discontinue raster charts at the end of December this year, when they called for feedback the word they got was that this was a retrograde step, so the raster charts will be around and supported for a while yet. It also looks as if the take-up of their vector charts hasn't been as great as was anticipated.
Al Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn