Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2020, 21:30   #1

Boat: Catamaran, Crowther "Super Shockwave", 42 ft l, 26ft beam
Android 9 CPN Global Sat GPS connectivity

An Android tablet from Soniq that has no active GPS is loaded with maps and CPN OK.
It also loads and gets a fix from the Global Sat PUK GPS and writes to a log file on Android.

I cannot get it to work with Open CPN. Can anyone give me some guidance?

I am not an IT techo and love Open CPN.
Ozblithespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 05:24   #2

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Android 9 CPN Global Sat GPS connectivity

Ozblithespirit,

The website for the Android version is here:
https://bigdumboat.com/aocpn/forum/index.php

Subscribe, open a new thread and if Mr. Register has the necessary time, no doubt he will give you an answer.
Remember to include in your first post some information about the Android version of your device and the device model you are using.

Optionally, look in the "Android / data / org.opencpn.opencpn / files" folder of the main memory or the SD card, the opencpn.conf and opencpn.log files to attach them to your first post.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 06:13   #3

The Android device, purchased new 10th June 2020 from www.soniq.// Model PT1019A Serial No. Q012CA1001251.// Androi 9, 16GB capacity, 2GB RAM Support up to 32GB MicroSD // Rockchip 3326 Quad core, //802.11 b/g/n &bluetooth 4 // The Android passes a message "Internal GPS installed but not enabled" in the load options I specify use an external GPS /////// G-Star 1V, Model #BU-353S4 GPS PUK// Android CPN purchased from PlayStore Mr Register.// Have CM90 and NZ charts mounted OK and GPSprovides a fix displayed when connected with GlobalSat application. I have the Android communicating as a file depository to Windows 10 laptop to load maps etc..
Old 23-09-2020, 06:29   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Try not running both applications that use the gps at once.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 15:01   #5

Many thanks for the advice. I selected "use external GPS" within CPN and in Android selected "force stop" on the GlobalSat app (but not uninstall).
I had expected a need to load a plugin to the cpn Android program but have not seen a plugin option (may not be looking in the right place?). Is there a GPS plugin that needs loading in the Android CPN version?
I loaded the GlobalSat app to prove that the connection cable modifier was operational (Mini to micro USB adapter). My past experience with cpn is only as a user of the windows version (not a techo).
Old 23-09-2020, 17:25   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sorry, I can't help here, my Samsung S4 has a GPS so I selected Use Internal GPS.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 18:22   #7

Android 9 GPS problem fixed; user unfamiliarity with cpn and dumb fingers . Many thanks for offers of assistance.
Old 24-09-2020, 00:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozblithespirit View Post
Many thanks for the advice.....
I had expected a need to load a plugin to the cpn Android program but have not seen a plugin option (may not be looking in the right place?). Is there a GPS plugin that needs loading in the Android CPN version?

Ozblithespirit, no, there is no special plugin for this.

In fact the list of plugins available for OpenCPN, Android version, is much smaller than that of plugins available for the Windows, Linux or MAC version.

That said, if Dave Register adapts, or succeeds in adapting, and I believe he is working on it, "OpenCPN for Android" so that this version can use other plugins existing for the Windows version, then the list of plugins for "OpenCPN for Androïd" will be much larger.
That said again, smartphones and tablets running Android do not have enough possibility of communication with the outside. Therefore, many plugins should not be able to be adapted for "OpenCPN for Androïd".

So, the easiest way is to be patient. And wait for the next version of "OpenCPN for Androïd".
Old 24-09-2020, 01:06   #9

Ozblithespirit,

To retrieve external data from another GPS, the best is to be able to transmit by WIFI (or blueTooth) these data to your device and using a connection (Options / Connection) to make receive, by this process, by OpenCPN the data . It is something that I use regularly. In this case, ensure that the internal GPS is deactivated.

Tags
gps