Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2021, 08:02   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
AIS Signal Problems

I'm having trouble with intermittent AIS readings on my laptop (Windows 10) using open CPN. I use the USB port/connection plug from my AIS (GME AIST120) into my laptop for GPS position as well as AIS data.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it'll work for a while and then stop. When it stops I get this notice: "USB device not recognized" It still broadcasts my AIS signal but doesn't send any data to the computer.

I have used contact cleaner, thinking corrosion of the contacts could be an issue. I've tried turning off, then on, both the AIS and the computer.

Help
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 08:57   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: AIS Signal Problems

Is the USB Hub separately powered? Sometimes it is a power issue if you have too many devices.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 05:01   #3

Thanks for the reply, but there's no hub.
Old 20-04-2021, 05:56   #4

If you gently put pressure on the USB connection into your laptop or your AIS can you induce a failure or cause it not to happen?
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 06:03   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Try updating the device's drivers if all else fails.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 18:27   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yes, and also it could easily be a loose ground or bad connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 07:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
If you gently put pressure on the USB connection into your laptop or your AIS can you induce a failure or cause it not to happen?
That's certainly a good thing to try. But I tried all three usb outlets on my laptop. It doesn't matter which. I originally used it on an older Win 10 laptop and eventually it got so it didn't work at all.
I haven't succeeded in turning off tap-to-click. That causes all sorts of problems. Perhaps static electricity changes a setting. Or it may be a software error. It amazes me how much "programming" we really need to know to go sailing.
I certainly appreciate the suggestions. I suspect the solution will be found when I invite for a sail someone who understands computers far better than I do.
Old 21-04-2021, 07:09   #8

Quote:
Which devise? The AIS?
Old 21-04-2021, 07:20   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
Which devise? The AIS?

USB drivers are the main culprits.

You can use Window's "Device Manager" to view the status of USB connections and to update drivers (via properties). Hopefully you can determine the USB connection that is for the AIS based on description, otherwise unplug it and see which device disappears. Once you know which USB device your dealing with, you can right click its properties and navigate to the section that lets you update or reinstall the drivers.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 07:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
That's certainly a good thing to try. But I tried all three usb outlets on my laptop. It doesn't matter which. I originally used it on an older Win 10 laptop and eventually it got so it didn't work at all.
I haven't succeeded in turning off tap-to-click. That causes all sorts of problems. Perhaps static electricity changes a setting. Or it may be a software error. It amazes me how much "programming" we really need to know to go sailing.
I certainly appreciate the suggestions. I suspect the solution will be found when I invite for a sail someone who understands computers far better than I do.

Just to be sure, try putting gentle pressure on the other end, the one that's connected to the AIS) as well. You never know......
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 17:45   #11

Quote:
USB drivers are the main culprits.

You can use Window's "Device Manager" to view the status of USB connections and to update drivers (via properties). Hopefully you can determine the USB connection that is for the AIS based on description, otherwise unplug it and see which device disappears. Once you know which USB device your dealing with, you can right click its properties and navigate to the section that lets you update or reinstall the drivers.
Thanks. I'll try that. Right now it's working. You know, the threat of calling the guy to fix it usually does the trick . (Did you ever read Steinbeck's Log From the Sea of Cortez where he talks about the outboard motor?)
Old 21-04-2021, 17:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
Just to be sure, try putting gentle pressure on the other end, the one that's connected to the AIS) as well. You never know......
The other end is hardwired in to the AIS. I guess I could shake wires. I'm reluctant to do anything with the AIS because it works. In these countries I don't need a display, helpful as it may be. I can't get in without a functioning AIS.

Tags
ais