Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 08:34   #1

Boat: Marine Trader DC 38
AIS Sentences OpenCPN/Maretron USB100

OpenCPN 4.0.0 on Win 8.1 (USA) with Maretron USB100 N2K interface - latest firmware.

My trawler boat Altamira has a medium size N2K network with a Simrad NSS7 MFD, group of Maretron modules (USB100, GPS, DSM150, +), and an Actisense EMU-1. OpenCPN has worked/does work fine showing position, etc on this HP laptop.

Now, I have a new Simrad RS35 VHF w/DSC/AIS on the N2K network. I am sure there is AIS data on the N2K network, because the targets and information display fine on the NSS7 MFD. Sadly, I do not see any AIS data, target list entries, or targets on OpenCPN. The OpenCPN NMEA debug scroll never shows any AIVDM or AIVDO sentences, either.

I suspect that the Maretron USB100 is not translating the N2K PGNs relating to AIS into corresponding NMEA sentences. This seems odd, because Maretron's own chart plotter SW (N2KView) appears to use the USB100 interface module - I don't have N2KView, so I can't be sure.

Has anyone else run into this issue, and is there a solution other than purchasing additional hardware? I have not yet appealed to Maretron, but I do have a bunch of their equipment.

Thanks.
Joe
v10builder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 00:18   #2

Boat: Oneoff
Re: AIS Sentences OpenCPN/Maretron USB100

Looks indeed like the translating from n2k to 0183 is going wrong. Likely the USB100 doesn't understand AIS sentences.
But the good news, the Simrad vhf has also a nmea 0183 output. Take this to the laptop should work.

Tags
ais, enc, opencpn