Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 13:09   #16

Re: AIS from OpenCPN to Navionics

@Pinguino: Your help has been (more than) amazing. I guess that you are far more then a casual user. During this process I have taken copious notes on the process I followed which I will happily share with anyone who wants them (this may not be the best place / as I suggested: I'm happy to help with drafting documentation). I'm getting much closer to my goal (hooking up an ESP8266 based sensor) but I have another question. I just connected my GPS as a Connection to Signal K. All works fine and through:
  • GPS receiver
  • Signal-K Server
  • UDP Socket
  • Navionics
It plots my current location. That's a long way from where I started

Now, when I start openplotter I get a warning about a "Serial connection with no alias assigned". That clearly relates to to the aliases we discussed earlier but when I use the "Serial" application, I added aliases to both ports in the Devices Section (neither of which are the GPS receiver I think...) but on the connections screen attached (I hope that worked), if I click edit; I'm redirected to the Signal-K server and I can't figure out where to fix this alias issue? Thoughts?
DoubleDutch1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 14:49   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Usually this is what appears when you start openplotter-serial without any device connected:

the devices that we see indicated by the red arrows correspond to devices incorporated in the GPIO port of the Rpi. We will ignore them.

Let's see now what happens if I connect a USB device such as a GPS:

The blue arrow shows the new device detected after pressing the update button and also tells us that it is connected through a HUB.

Now we will create the alias for this USB device:

We mark the device, assign it the gps alias, assign it the NMEA 0183 data format as my GPS works with NMEA0183 and choose to remember device by manufacturer. If we have two devices from the same manufacturer should choose the other option, remember device by position in the HUB as it is the only way to differentiate. Proceed to press the apply button. Then we will see highlighted in green our GPS device with its assigned alias:

Now we can choose between two options. Either we create our connection directly in signal k or in kplex by hand or we press the connections tab and use the openplotter assistant:

If we choose to use the wizard to create, for example, our signal k connection, this window will appear:

where we must assign the device's baud rate and press the auto button to create our brand new connection. If we choose the kplex option, the openplotter-kplex application will be opened to continue with the process.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 01:47   #18

Apologies for not getting back to you on this detailed explenation. I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Things got in the way but I will report back when I have gone through it. Thanks again.
DoubleDutch1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 06:11   #19

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
Usually this is what appears when you start openplotter-serial without any device connected:

the devices that we see indicated by the red arrows correspond to devices incorporated in the GPIO port of the Rpi. We will ignore them.

Let's see now what happens if I connect a USB device such as a GPS:

The blue arrow shows the new device detected after pressing the update button and also tells us that it is connected through a HUB.

Now we will create the alias for this USB device:

We mark the device, assign it the gps alias, assign it the NMEA 0183 data format as my GPS works with NMEA0183 and choose to remember device by manufacturer. If we have two devices from the same manufacturer should choose the other option, remember device by position in the HUB as it is the only way to differentiate. Proceed to press the apply button. Then we will see highlighted in green our GPS device with its assigned alias:

Now we can choose between two options. Either we create our connection directly in signal k or in kplex by hand or we press the connections tab and use the openplotter assistant:

If we choose to use the wizard to create, for example, our signal k connection, this window will appear:

where we must assign the device's baud rate and press the auto button to create our brand new connection. If we choose the kplex option, the openplotter-kplex application will be opened to continue with the process.

Thanks Penguino. I've added a SK in OpenPlotter wiki page to this post. If any SK editor wishes to move this step by step procedure to that page users might appreciate it.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 06:38   #20

Boat: Hunter 37C

I've just completed an ESP8266 project that collects five temperatures, two voltages, and one pressure, all integrated into SK. I'd be happy to share my source code with you or anyone for that matter.
B25Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 09:46   #21

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDutch1962 View Post
I've been struggling with this for a few days now, and I think I'm missing something obvious so hopefully, someone can help me.

• I have OpenCPN installed on a Raspberry Pi (4) - works fine
  • For testing - I have added an AIS feed from Sanfrancisco Bay Area as an input Connection to OpenCPN: works fine and the targets show up on the map
  • My iPad connects to a wireless access point on the RPI. I know that works as well as I can connect to there RPI's IP, port 3000 and I see the Signal K Server home page - so that works fine as well.

My questions:

• I'm trying to get these AIS targets to show in Navionics in my iPad. I believe I should use <RPI-IP>:10110 for that that doesn't work as there doesn't seem to be anything broadcasting on port 10110. Even "Localhost:10110" on the RPI doesn't work.

• What roles does Signal K play in this context / should this AIS feed come through Signal K instead?

• What do I need to configure in OpenCPN so any device can connect to it and read this AIS data (so I can configure navionics on that IP Address / Port)

I'm using the OpenPlotter setup, but I don't believe that's relevant in this scenario. The people on the OpenPlotter forum have been very helpful, but we seem to be stuck on this one. Thanks in advance.
I think you have to make a connection with the Pi first. And then you get can the data in Navionics settings.

However I'am not sure if Navionics can show AIS objects. This was still a missing option in Navionics.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
I assume that you use openplotter and therefore the IP will be the one that assigns the default AP in such cases: 10.10.10.x.

https://foronavegantes.net/thread-4.html

Thank you / Gracias, after stuggling alone during several hour I found this thread and it worked straight away.

Just one thing: there is a setting in Navionics / Map Options to enable IAS data, don't forget it like me ;-)

Another things:
- I don't have as much data on AIS targets on Navionics than in openCPN, for instance I don't have the name of the flag of the boat, only the MMSI. I don't know if it's a navionics issue or if Signal K is not forwarding all information on AIS target. Any idea?

And also, I created manually i Navionics -> menu -> Paire device a connexion like 192.168.1.255 Port 2000 and then I had automatically the Digital Yacht Connexion created on 0.0.0.0 Port 2000. It looks like they are the same. I tried to remove one it didn't work until I stopped the Signal K server and restart Navionics. Then I could remove the Digital Yach paired device. It doen't look it has any impact.
ray122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:18   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

The Signal K server forwards the NMEA data it receives "as is", without modifying or filtering it unless we specifically do so. I think it is more a matter of how the data is displayed by each tool. Navionics probably tries to reduce the excess data so as not to clutter the screen.

Regarding the connections in Navionics I have also seen that they often give that kind of problems. I myself have one that is impossible to eliminate and I don't know why, but as it doesn't affect the operation I don't worry either.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, enc, navionics, opencpn