Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 10:25   #1

Boat: Nauticat 33
Airmar 800dst

P/N dst800bv-n2. Brass thru-hull, 235hz with paddlewheel(replaceable), digital, n2000. Per the factory tech, you can change the sender in the water.

Does this look like a keeper? Thanks
C_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:31   #2

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: Airmar 800dst

yes, it's a keeper.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:42   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

We had 2 of the plastic version, connected to a Raymarine network, electronically the first unit worked fine for 6 years and then slowly declined until it failed. Replacement still going after 3 years. Physically it works OK, the unit can be retracted to clean the paddle wheel, the less the boat is used the more often the wheel needs cleaning. The Plastic valve that restricts the water flow when the unit is removed is fragile, ours broke on both units and and was pretty flimsy in my opinion, but could have been operator error in not removing or inserting properly. The broken valve made no difference to performance, only to the amount of water that gushed into the bilge when removing.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:52   #4

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Breeze View Post
P/N dst800bv-n2. Brass thru-hull, 235hz with paddlewheel(replaceable), digital, n2000. Per the factory tech, you can change the sender in the water.

Yes, there's a spring loaded "flap" that closes when you pull the unit out of the tube. Be gentle at first, but when it starts to come out, don't hesitate... Water will be gushing in until the flap closes, which it won't do while the unit is in the tube. Also note, it's not a water proof flap. Some water will still come in. There should be a "blank" unit to put in place somewhere. I keep mine right next to the unit. Shove the blank in there and you are free to work on the actual. Swap back when ready.

If I remember, I swap with the blank if I know I'm going to be tied to the dock for a while. Tin Tin is correct. The less you work the unit by moving, the more growth you get and the more chance of repair is needed.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:30   #5

Done. Transducer+PropSpeed Foul-Release Coating+2day shipping(from release@warehouse)=$365

The tech recommended gpsstore and imarine. I bought from gps.

Thanks for the help!
Old 16-06-2020, 03:11   #6

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395

I have given up on the flap valve. It often came loose - usually being flushed inboard. Reinstating it when out of the water was incredibly fiddly. Spare flaps are impossible to obtain - I found.
Now I just put up with the ingress of water. I like to have my partner standing by in case I was unable to get the blank in, if I had a stitch, cramp or worse. On my previous boat I had. a problem and took a lot of water in.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 05:17   #7

Good to know for future reference.
Old 16-06-2020, 05:23   #8

Update. Received the unit promptly. I ordered it with the brass thru hull but received a plastic one instead. Airmar said oops, mistake, will get the correct one right out. Called me back 1/2 hour later saying only have plastic ones in stock. Still waiting for the order to arrive.
Quote:

Old 16-06-2020, 05:26   #9

When I was looking at the transducer, there is a round connector at the end of the cable. Will surgery and soldering be required?
Quote:

Old 16-06-2020, 06:09   #10

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395

While on this subject, I found the safety wires a pain - lots of pricked fingers trying to reconnect them.

I now have small wire closed loops made from monal wire through each attachment point and use re-usable cable ties to hold the plug/transducer in place, should the threads fail. It is easy to undo or re-do the ties as required.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 06:17   #11

Thread failure, that would be a heck of a surprise. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 16-06-2020, 06:47   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Pretty sure that would be Bronze, not brass?
Fingers crossed but my flapper is still working, I have the plastic thru hull. Mine is not NMEA 2000 but connects to the display that is, I wonder if it’s data gets onto the network that way?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 10:39   #13

You're confirming it's definitely plastic not brass or bronze. The key in the product code is the letter B. Thanks for the info and good luck with a swap. Experiences seem to vary widely.
Old 18-06-2020, 09:43   #14

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

The end of the cable should be a NMEA2000 connector. This goes onto your network.

Our plastic flap disappeared in the first 6 months. You will know when its missing as water intrusion when the transducer is removed will no longer be a trickle, but will be a solid stream about 1.5 ft high!

And as the other poster said, the flap is not available as a separate item, but you can get the complete theu hull assembly for less than $40. We are on our second flap. We changed out the flap only when the boat was out of the water. Inserting it into the small slot and click in place is very tedious. Took about three tries with a white bucket below to catch the failed attempts.

We pull ours at the dock and put in blanking plug. Pull it slowly as I think that is less stress on the flap. Growth gets pretty bad on the paddlewheel otherwise, and i think would be very difficult to antifoul.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 09:50   #15

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
We pull ours at the dock and put in blanking plug. Pull it slowly as I think that is less stress on the flap. Growth gets pretty bad on the paddlewheel otherwise, and i think would be very difficult to antifoul.
Impossible to antifoul, I've found. I probably ruined one with too much antifoul as it stopped sending. Replaced it and never antifouled again with no trouble since. Gotta either keep it moving so growth can't attach, or replace it with the blank when dockside.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote