Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2010, 04:02   #1

Boat: Pansy 46' Scottish Fifie/Zulu
Ahoy There

lurked for a while, and thought its time to get my finger out and register!

loving it so far though. tried it on ubuntu and windows with great success, not so much success on the mac though, which would be my ideal platform, but not giving up. Its been a long time, but I used to program on the mac (way back in system 7 days!) so might try get my fingers dirty with the mac build/development. Destined to be using this on an old (75years!) Fifie/Zulu herring drifter I'm restoring

couple of Questions I've searched and searched for but can't find answers for.

one is mac specific... trying to open CM93 charts, can't get that to work at all, the only other UK charts I've got are Maptech BSB4, all licenced and activated, but aware of the fact that bsb4 is not supported so fair enough. DO have some ancient HDR charts, but not sure how to convert them, CM93 would be mu ideal though. any suggestions as to opening em?

the other question relates to tracks. Not been out and played proper on the water with it yet, so maybe it will all become apparent when I do, but can individual tracks be saved/loaded etc as an when needed? be nice to be able to keep a permanent history of everything and everywhere I've been
markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 07:56   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Hello & welcome to the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark View Post
Its been a long time, but I used to program on the mac (way back in system 7 days!) so might try get my fingers dirty with the mac build/development.
That's very brave of you. Here's the lowdown on the previous attempt..

Quote:
Destined to be using this on an old (75years!) Fifie/Zulu herring drifter I'm restoring
Your blog is really good fun, and you're writing lots - nice

Quote:
one is mac specific... trying to open CM93 charts, can't get that to work at all, the only other UK charts I've got are Maptech BSB4, all licenced and activated, but aware of the fact that bsb4 is not supported so fair enough. DO have some ancient HDR charts, but not sure how to convert them, CM93 would be mu ideal though. any suggestions as to opening em?
Well gotta get CM93 working on Mac, check thread above

Encrypted charts not happening, although it is a bit of a nuisance as its nigh impossible to buy non-encrypted charts in Europe..

Some info about chart conversions here, there's something re: HDR in there

Quote:
but can individual tracks be saved/loaded etc as an when needed? be nice to be able to keep a permanent history of everything and everywhere I've been
Tracks are exported using GPX out which you may have to activate in tools/settings. On linux, I use a separate logger to get a permanent flightbox type log (even if opencpn crashes or I delete all tracks by accident). I do think opencpn should really log everything forever but I don't run this show
Old 13-06-2010, 07:56   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Welcome MarkyMark, there's much here but computer issues are something else. Hopefully someone here will know what you are talking about! I'm southern UK and have learnt much from the Forum. mostly by reading, sometimes by being put right after I've posted. Not every one is always right here, there seems to be several different answers to each question. Takes some experience to balance the answers against the relevance to your own boat and situation.
Old 13-06-2010, 07:59   #4

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Well, there you go. By the time I'd typed my response 'idpnd' had already got the exact answer. Good luck with the project, will she be launched before the winter sets in up north?
Old 13-06-2010, 08:10   #5

Hello Eleven, if I ever get this lump of steel going I shall be coming your way
Old 13-06-2010, 08:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Well, there you go. By the time I'd typed my response 'idpnd' had already got the exact answer. Good luck with the project, will she be launched before the winter sets in up north?
depends which winter you're reffering to! Was hoping it would have been done by last year, but you know how these things are. especially with wooden boats.

what started as a few deck repairs turned into a full deck!

off to read through the links above and see what I can do
Old 13-06-2010, 08:43   #7

forgot to say

the encrypted chart issue really hacks me off. As tax payers we pay for the things to be created but end up paying for them over an over again

I've bought the same charts nearly 10 times in the last few years, on cartridges for navionics, cmap & garmin, raster on cd from maptech, vector on cd from CMAP etc etc

most annoying

figure I've paid for them enough times over so don't feel so guilty about using a downloaded CM93 package
Old 13-06-2010, 08:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark View Post
As tax payers we pay for the things to be created but end up paying for them over an over again
Quite!