Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 18:30   #1

Boat: Macgregor 26S
Adding my own lakes map

I want to create my own map to use in openCPN, i thought there would be TONS of simple plugins or websites or android apps to do this but I cant find even one. Everything I can find isnt as simple as I'd think it should be... and seems to be set up for professional aerial photographers.

Has anyone else here found a simple way to use an image (and I assume 2 GCPs) to make a chart for use in OpenCPN?

Living in the midwest, I have seen TONS of JPG and PNG maps that I could use in areas that have no respective nautical chart...

For example, my local lake has a "fishing map" that is a soundings chart... i've scanned it in, and I've got sets of coordinates... I'm just frustrated by how the simple App I've imagined isn't something that's already been created by a bunch of people.

Image + two sets of GPS coordinates to orient the map = raster? What am I missing? Is this something someone here could create?

I imagine this would be very popular (lucrative) with backcountrynavigator users also, as there are lots of park trail maps done this way.
jt323bd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 19:00   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Adding my own lakes map

imgkap (Imgkap by nohal), mapcal + mc2bsbh, Sat2Kap (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2863437), qgis etc. - just make your choice.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 19:24   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Both Imgkap and Sat2Kap have worked well for me to map my home lake and surroundings. I am running both in Win10.
Old 05-04-2019, 19:58   #4

Boat: Macgregor 26S

Imgkaps instructions appears to be only for google satellite imagry... but I'll see if I can make sense of the terminal instructions when I get to my windows PC to try it, amd make it work somehow for my lakes "fishing map".

If someone understands this and has the ability... it seems like an android/ios app to do this would be a significant improvement over currently existing tools. with an image and any two known coordinate pairs on the map.
jt323bd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 21:16   #5

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

1. write down upper left corner GPS coord's for lat0 lon0
2. write down lower right corner GPS coord's for lat1 lon1
3. copy the image file into the imagekap folder
4. click the window icon on the taskbar
5. type cmd <enter>
6. type cd /imagekap <enter>
7. type imgkap mykap.png lat0 lon0 lat1 lon1 myresult.kap <enter>

If you replace the names and coord's correctly you will get a kap map of you image file. The image does not need to be from Google.
Old 05-04-2019, 21:41   #6

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt323bd View Post
Imgkaps instructions appears to be only for google satellite imagry... but I'll see if I can make sense of the terminal instructions when I get to my windows PC to try it, amd make it work somehow for my lakes "fishing map".

If someone understands this and has the ability... it seems like an android/ios app to do this would be a significant improvement over currently existing tools. with an image and any two known coordinate pairs on the map.
May I ask what seems to have anything to do with Google satellite imagery in "Imgkaps instructions" so that I can remove it? As far as I can tell, there is not a single mention of Google or satellite anywhere there.

Remember that imgkap is NOT Sat2Chart (Formerly known as GE2KAP), it is a multiplatform command line tool to make KAPs from pretty much any bitmap image you are able to georeference.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 23:38   #7

What about taking the image and placing it on Google Earth Pro? Then adjust the image to match the location.

Save as KMZ and convert to KAP or GeoTiff. I use MAPC2MAPC from:
https://www.the-thorns.org.uk/mapping/

A Windows program.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote