Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2022, 01:48   #1

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
Activating route at desired waypoint

When I activate a route, it seems that OCPN activates it at the waypoint nearest to a straight line ahead regardless of distance from the present position. This may not be what is required.

Consider the intended route in the attached screenshot around Lands End to St Ives. We are lying at anchor pointing N and OCPN activates the route at a routepoint in St Ives. The only way around this seems to be to wait until we are heading for the first waypoint before activating. If tacking, that may not be easy.

Have I missed something here?

What I am looking for is the ability to activate at the first waypoint - better, even to have a choice, especially as I cannot move the waypoint back - there is no opposite to activate next waypoint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	258496  
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 04:37   #2

Boat: Kelt 8.50
Re: Activating route at desired waypoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipole View Post
When I activate a route, it seems that OCPN activates it at the waypoint nearest to a straight line ahead regardless of distance from the present position. This may not be what is required.

Consider the intended route in the attached screenshot around Lands End to St Ives. We are lying at anchor pointing N and OCPN activates the route at a routepoint in St Ives. The only way around this seems to be to wait until we are heading for the first waypoint before activating. If tacking, that may not be easy.

Have I missed something here?

What I am looking for is the ability to activate at the first waypoint - better, even to have a choice, especially as I cannot move the waypoint back - there is no opposite to activate next waypoint.

Did you try right clicking on a waypoint and select activate?
JM
houlejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 04:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by houlejm View Post
Did you try right clicking on a waypoint and select activate?
JM
Right clicking on a waypoint not in a route allows you to navigate to that waypoint.
Right clicking on a waypoint in a route does not. It allows you to remove it from route etc. but not to navigate to it. Besides it would need to activate the route and to that waypoint. I do not see that ability.
Old 28-05-2022, 05:53   #4

Boat: Kelt 8.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipole View Post
Right clicking on a waypoint not in a route allows you to navigate to that waypoint.
Right clicking on a waypoint in a route does not. It allows you to remove it from route etc. but not to navigate to it. Besides it would need to activate the route and to that waypoint. I do not see that ability.
Thats it. Activate the route. If the waypoint activated is not the one you want, Right click on the one you want and you have the choice to activate it.
That is the way it works for me.
JM
houlejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 06:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by houlejm View Post
Thats it. Activate the route. If the waypoint activated is not the one you want, Right click on the one you want and you have the choice to activate it.
That is the way it works for me.
JM
Ah! You have to activate the route first. Then you can activate a specific waypoint within it. Got it! Thanks
Old 13-06-2022, 15:01   #6

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

As 'activate' is the agenda of this thread, I would very much like to understand what the word activate is intended to mean. I am a new OpenCPN user setting up my first passage plan.

Perhaps put another way: why would I want to activate a route, and especially why activate a waypoint. And also when would I want to do this?

So the manual says:
Activating Routes and Active Route Console
Right clicking on the Route, changes the color from blue to orange and brings up a comprehensive menu. Clicking “Activate Route” or performing the same action through the Route Manager changes the route color to red and a new route information window appears on the right side of the display. This Active Route Console displays data particular to the Active Leg (XTE, Bearing, VMG, RNG & TTG) or the Active Full Route.

So is that it? Does it simply mean providing extra options?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13-06-2022, 16:06   #7

Boat: Gemini 3200

Activating a route makes it the active route so OpenCPN will steer you along that route, switching from one waypoint to the next as you reach each waypoint. Activating a waypoint tells OpenCPN that waypoint is your next destination. You sometimes want to that for a waypoint which is not at the beginning of a route.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 17:33   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

OK I get it. Thank you so much fgd3, much appreciated.

I suspected it might be something one does underway, rather than in planning my passage planning. Makes sense.
Old 13-06-2022, 22:33   #9

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

What about using the autopilot route plugin? The logic in route position bearing mode should be completely different and not have this problem.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 07:18   #10

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Activating a route makes it the active route so OpenCPN will steer you along that route, switching from one waypoint to the next as you reach each waypoint. Activating a waypoint tells OpenCPN that waypoint is your next destination. You sometimes want to that for a waypoint which is not at the beginning of a route.

Thanks, In the manual the Routes and Marks Manager, Using Routes, and Creating Routes have been revised and new links provided.
See Create Route - activate route https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._route_console
Also Using Routes https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...activate_route
And Route and Mark Manager https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...e_mark_manager

These sections need revision, simplification and improvement in the next manual.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
route