Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 12:17   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7
Activating Canadian CHS Charts on RaspPi?

All: I am rebuilding my onboard RPi computer over the winter. As part of this project I have purchased new CHS charts for our cruising area. Our old charts were very old.

As I am running OpenCPN on Linux, I am trying to figure out how to activate the charts on my RasPi. The information on the CHS site shows an activation done with an old school setup.exe file that's included with the download.

While I have purchased the charts, I haven't downloaded the chart packages yet as I want to figure this out first.

One idea could be to install Wine on the RasPi and run the setup.exe under Wine. Not sure if anyone else has tried this.

Another idea is to activate the charts on a Windows computer and copy the charts on to the RasPi? Not sure if there is any sort of digital anti-copy technology in the downloads.

I am hoping that someone else has figured this out and can share how to do this.

Thanks in advance!
jacrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 13:29   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Activating Canadian CHS Charts on RaspPi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacrider View Post
All: I am rebuilding my onboard RPi computer over the winter. As part of this project I have purchased new CHS charts for our cruising area. Our old charts were very old.

As I am running OpenCPN on Linux, I am trying to figure out how to activate the charts on my RasPi. The information on the CHS site shows an activation done with an old school setup.exe file that's included with the download.

While I have purchased the charts, I haven't downloaded the chart packages yet as I want to figure this out first.

One idea could be to install Wine on the RasPi and run the setup.exe under Wine. Not sure if anyone else has tried this.

Another idea is to activate the charts on a Windows computer and copy the charts on to the RasPi? Not sure if there is any sort of digital anti-copy technology in the downloads.

I am hoping that someone else has figured this out and can share how to do this.

Thanks in advance!

You are talking about the CHS raster charts?
The latest ones are BSB3 (.kap) not encrypted and shall install in OCPN as such.

CHS vector charts (ENCs) are available as oeSENC charts at o-charts.org, the chart outlet of OpenCPN.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 13:34   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7
Re: Activating Canadian CHS Charts on RaspPi?

bcn: Many thanks. As I have been researching this, I came across a post of yours announcing the ENC's available at o-charts.org. I will also get these.

Thx.
jacrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts