Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 15:37   #1

actiseense ntg-1 to raspberry Pi to opencpn

I have a nema 2000 network on my sailboat, and want to connect opencpn to the network. Have been using a actisence ntg-1 for several years. According to what I can find in the Opencpn manual a raspberry pi , in my case a 3b, can act as a nema 2k to 0183 server via signalk.

have the Pi working, found the signalk page and have tried to install it with no luck.
cannot tell from the site where one has to download the signalk software.

wondering if anyone with experience in connecting to an atctisence NTG-1 to raspberry, then to opencpn on a PC can help.
Th https://youtu.be/5F9hE6DqPQE

This is where you are going next summer I think
Enjoy

nak you
AMckeown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:32   #2

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: actiseense ntg-1 to raspberry Pi to opencpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMckeown View Post
I have a nema 2000 network on my sailboat, and want to connect opencpn to the network. Have been using a actisence ntg-1 for several years. According to what I can find in the Opencpn manual a raspberry pi , in my case a 3b, can act as a nema 2k to 0183 server via signalk.

have the Pi working, found the signalk page and have tried to install it with no luck.
cannot tell from the site where one has to download the signalk software.

wondering if anyone with experience in connecting to an atctisence NTG-1 to raspberry, then to opencpn on a PC can help.
Th https://youtu.be/5F9hE6DqPQE

This is where you are going next summer I think
Enjoy

nak you

Thje best thing you can do is using OpenPlotter. With SignalK working and other additional options. They are working on the version 2.00, which will be released very soon. This version is based on the latest Linux Buster and OpenCPN.

I have used the canable board for the reception of NMEA2000 to 183 and the otherway also works.

You need to set some SignalK options. But is worked for me.

My advise is to wait for the 2.00 version.

Regards,

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:19   #3

https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-s...nstallation.md

Once you have NGT-1 configured you need to enable the plugin to convert to NMEA0183 and configure OpenCpn to connect tcp on port 10110.
teppokurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 19:11   #4

I also have an Actisense 2000 NGT-1, an NMEA 2000 backbone with B&G instruments and a Windows 10 laptop. I would like to use OpenCPN software. I have used OpenCPN for navigating using just a GPS signal from a "hockey puck" GPS module (model BU-353) and Windows XP. I believe this module is not compatible with Windows 10. I also have a Garmin 78SC handheld and Android and iPhone devices.

In an ideal world, I would like to send the data from the G&G instruments to the other devices that other crew have (phones and tablets).

I am a newbie at using this forum so my apologies if I am not accessing it properly.
Captkenkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 19:53   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Do you have a BandG GoFree wifi?
https://www.bandg.com/bg/type/connec...reless-module/

This would give your PC /Opencpn access to your N2K data.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 05:12   #6

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkenkaye View Post
I also have an Actisense 2000 NGT-1, an NMEA 2000 backbone with B&G instruments and a Windows 10 laptop. I would like to use OpenCPN software. I have used OpenCPN for navigating using just a GPS signal from a "hockey puck" GPS module (model BU-353) and Windows XP. I believe this module is not compatible with Windows 10. I also have a Garmin 78SC handheld and Android and iPhone devices.

In an ideal world, I would like to send the data from the G&G instruments to the other devices that other crew have (phones and tablets).

I am a newbie at using this forum so my apologies if I am not accessing it properly.

I'am using a Raspberry Pi 4 or 3B+ and OpenPlotter. Not with an Actisense but a Canable canbus adapter card. But I think it is about the same for the NGT1.

First move is to get the NGT1 working as can0.

Then you can go to the SignaLK Settings. Use Opcan. Switch this to on and set NGT1 as source.

NMEA2000 is now translated via Canboat to SignalK. Login an restart signalK.

Next is SignalK to NMEA183 and set the choises which items you like to receive in NMEA183.

You can also add N2K AIS to NMEA0183.

The outcome goes to the multiplexer Kplex.

De Raspberry Pi has a wireless Acces point. You can receive the data on another navigation system. Make a wireless connection with the PI. The adress for the data is 10.10.10.1 port 10110 in other navigation software or OpenCPN.

You can also use the VNC server in the RPI and receive the Pi deskstop via an VNC client.

VNC client work almost every computer, tablet or smartphone.

Then there are the SignalK instruments. These can be used in every browser.

But the princible is: NMEA2000 via NGT1 to the signalK/canboot translation >signalK tot nmea183.

Looks a bit complicated but it works very wel.

Regards,

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 13:30   #7

I want to make sure I understand. I would purchase SignaLK hardware and software to make the conversion?

If this is correct, would it be easier to purchase an Actisense NGW-1 and use it instead of the NGT-1?

A related question is: Is OpenCPN (or similar software) using NMEA 0183 going to give me inferior results because 0183 is an older system?
Captkenkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 09:45   #8

Quote:
I want to make sure I understand. I would purchase SignaLK hardware and software to make the conversion?
No, you already have everything needed.

You can run the free open source Signal K server on your Windows machine. It can use your NGT-1 to connect to your N2K network and convert the data from N2K to Signal K to NMEA0183 and make that data stream available to OpenCPN over TCP.

Sorry, there are no good instructions for installing and running Signal K server on windows, but it is definitely doable and I am sure somebody here or on OpenPlotter forums can lend a helping hand.

OpenMarine - OpenPlotter
Old 23-08-2019, 09:58   #9

Quote:
A related question is: Is OpenCPN (or similar software) using NMEA 0183 going to give me inferior results because 0183 is an older system?
NMEA0183 is the only format that OpenCPN uses internally, so there you have little choice.

NMEA2000 specifies the physical connection and format of the data on the wires.

NMEA0183 does the same, but being older is more limited in scope and data rate.

But you can transfer NMEA0183 formatted data over modern Wi-Fi and Ethernet, where it can exceed NMEA2000's data rate.

Most phone/tablet navigation apps support only NMEA0183

For basic stuff like speed over ground and wind data it makes little difference which you use, provided your software supports it. But there are no standard sentences in NMEA0183 for everything, for example engine torque & load etc or data for multiple engines.
Old 23-08-2019, 10:37   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Another approach :

If you have Simrad/B&g plotters, these translate the N2K network data into 0183, including AIS, and make this data available over their Ethernet ports.

If you have a spare ethernet port, just buy the adapter and plug it into your computer. Set up O to read UDP, put in the IP address of your plotter, and Bob's your uncle.

You can even control and use your radar over this connection.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn