Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 04:24   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: A.T.T. calculation plugin for REEDS almanac and Admiralty Tide Tables

I think the idea is a good one and would like to see some kind of git or web based repository that would hold the most recent current data and all additions by those using the plugin. Kind of crowsourced tide data. This kind of thing is being done with depths, harbors and waypoints by venturefarther and squiddio and with languages for Opencpn.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:49   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I think the idea is a good one and would like to see some kind of git or web based repository that would hold the most recent current data and all additions by those using the plugin. Kind of crowsourced tide data. This kind of thing is being done with depths, harbors and waypoints by venturefarther and squiddio and with languages for Opencpn.
Certainly would be handy round Europe, though you'd need to be a bit careful about copyright, I think UK standard port tide data is copyright, not so sure about secondary port differences.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 08:20   #18

SC - Seasonal Change (AFAIK)... will take look in guide for A.T.T
registry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 03:47   #19

Last posts from many years ago ... this might explain why I can never get any sensible data from the plugin.
From 20 to 30 attempts during the last months only one was successful, as far as I can remember.
There have been recent updates of the plugin, but I cannot see they improved anything.

It is a beta, ok, but I really wonder why anything so useless is still on the list ...

And even if it worked I doubt its usefulness: before one has finished entering all the data for one instance correctly, one could have calculated three tidal heights on a scrap sheet of paper.

One of the reasons being that the order for entering the standard ports data is confusing: ATT has always and still list mean highs and lows like this:
MHWS, MHWN, MLWN, MLWS.
Whereas the plugin reverses order of the two latter ones. And similarly, this will very likely lead to a wrong order of data in the last line.

Another reason for some confusion or errors is the fact that
a) you need to enter commas instead of points before decimals and
b) any data one enters produces an endless number of nils after that comma rather than yielding a clear picture such as 2,60 (or better: 2.6). This makes corrections after mistyping more difficult.

Saving (and printing) does not work either. And unless one cannot prepare and store a couple of sets of standard port data at home (ready for use if needed), the plugin is little more than clutter in the attic.
Montyfrisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 15:15   #20

Someone interested is going to have to give this plugin a little love. It is not me.
Old 24-01-2024, 14:40   #21

@MontyFrisian

It is opensource here. This code was contributed by someone. I have been trying to maintain it as it stands and keep it current with the plugin template.

It is useful code that could be extended and improved by someone willing to spend a little time figuring it out. Any good PRs that improve and add features to this tidal program, will be merged. Users need to consider how they can contribute to this program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montyfrisian View Post
Last posts from many years ago ... this might explain why I can never get any sensible data from the plugin.
From 20 to 30 attempts during the last months only one was successful, as far as I can remember.
There have been recent updates of the plugin, but I cannot see they improved anything.

It is a beta, ok, but I really wonder why anything so useless is still on the list ...

And even if it worked I doubt its usefulness: before one has finished entering all the data for one instance correctly, one could have calculated three tidal heights on a scrap sheet of paper.

One of the reasons being that the order for entering the standard ports data is confusing: ATT has always and still list mean highs and lows like this:
MHWS, MHWN, MLWN, MLWS.
Whereas the plugin reverses order of the two latter ones. And similarly, this will very likely lead to a wrong order of data in the last line.

Another reason for some confusion or errors is the fact that
a) you need to enter commas instead of points before decimals and
b) any data one enters produces an endless number of nils after that comma rather than yielding a clear picture such as 2,60 (or better: 2.6). This makes corrections after mistyping more difficult.

Saving (and printing) does not work either. And unless one cannot prepare and store a couple of sets of standard port data at home (ready for use if needed), the plugin is little more than clutter in the attic.
Old 25-01-2024, 02:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Someone interested is going to have to give this plugin a little love. It is not me.
Hi

the origninal idea for this plugin is to practice the calculation of tides using A.T.T. in same manner as they are examined during RYA Yachtmaster exam.
Exactly as the exam form and procedure goes, with main and secondary ports and so on.
As original A.T.T. tables are published in REEDs almanach, one would have to transfer the harbor data (HW, LW, etc) manually from REEDs into this plugin "database". Ideally, only once by someone, if the database is shared and distributed.

For navigation is this plugin perhaps less relevant as there are way more convenient ways to obtain water level for tidal area.

However, as i cannot find anymore time to work on it AND i do not use it on my daily basis -> fate of this plugin is not in my hands. :-)

If one decides that this has to be removed from OpenCPN, even from beta-dev -> please go on.
registry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 06:50   #23

I know of one person who wants it kept around, so I am keeping it in place in hopes that it will be improved.
Thank you for creating this. I don't sail in this area, but wouldn't it be reasonably easy to populate it with online data?
Perhaps someone familiar with database will be able to do that.

Tags
cal, plug