Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 21:47   #1

4g Radar not sending data

Hi All;
First of all, well done on the work on the Navico radar plugin recently. It's come a long way since I last was using it.

I have a brand new 4g radar (although not the first time I've worked with the units or with opencpn).
Last night with a fresh install of the windows build of OpenCPN and the navico plugin all worked fine, no issues. Radar powered up and transmitted on the floor of my apartment. Running from a 20A power supply at 13v.
Grand!

Now it will connect, answer pings, and do everything but transmit. The checkbox says "Radar present" I get a firmware build date but I never get "Radar sending data". I'm connecting the radar directly to my machine and using a static IP on my end, although that doesn't really seem to matter.

I've tried using a cat5 coupler and an extension and plugging into my router (it gets a good dhcp) and still the same deal.

The only recent software change (on one of the two machines was the installation of VMware player).

I've also tried a different power supply.

I've toned out the cable, no shorts, everything seems to go where it should.

Emulator mode doesn't seem to work, unless I'm missing something about how to activate it.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
str-alorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 22:25   #2

Re: 4g Radar not sending data

Fixed!! Apologies for the false alarm

Somehow a combination of a total reinstall of OpenCPN, including manually deleting the plugins, fresh download of br24 radar and the patched .exe it works

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2017, 05:33   #3

Boat: Najad 34

str-alor...
Nice when things solves itself, isn't it?
Did you try version 3.0 of BR24radar_pi?
https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi/releases
For Windows and OCPN 4.8 there's a small patch to avoid AIS target "Hover" failures. See notes on the same link.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 13:02   #4

Hakan:
Yeah, I think I missed the patched exe file for 3.0
Everything worked great in some testing this morning.

One side question:
The auto-gain seems to generate a very noisy set of returns, with manual gain I can get exactly what I want. Am I missing something with auto gain?

Thanks! The 3.0 updates are awesome.

a
Old 06-10-2017, 00:36   #5

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by str-alorman View Post
One side question:
The auto-gain seems to generate a very noisy set of returns, with manual gain I can get exactly what I want. Am I missing something with auto gain?
str-alorman....
Interesting. Never seen or heard about. I myself have a BR24 and not the 4G so I can't compare. The best way to report a BR24radar_pi bug or failure to the programmers is to issue at https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi/issues
Would you mind making an issue there and describe it more in details? -Your system, -OS, -your radar antenna, -Using one or two radar pictures, -on chart overlay and/or the radarwindow, -when and how and what you see. Screenshots are often helpful for the developers.
Thanks
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:35   #6

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Quote:
Radar powered up and transmitted on the floor of my apartment.
The auto-gain doesn't work that well inside just take it outside.

I used mine on top of my car for initial testing, and even that was a little noisier than in the mast.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar