Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 04:45   #1

Boat: Eista Krammer
4G broadbandradar data output

I have a Simrad 4G radar and a dedicated pc running OpenCPN hooked up to an RI10 interface. Works A-OK with the Navico plug-in, again my thanks to all who made this possible

To be able to use chartoverlay I bought an SG25 GPS and installed a NMEA2000 /Simnet bus to connect the RI10 and GPS. Looking at the RI10 status LED this seems to work.

Now for my question: Does the 4G radar or the RI10 interface route/link the GPS data to the ethernet connection to the pc ? If so, what port number is used ?

If I have that info I hope to be able to get the GPS data to OpenCPN without having to buy a NMEA2000<>USB converter.

w fr greetings, Leo
Vesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:11   #2

Re: 4G broadbandradar data output

I heard from both Simrad and Douwe that the 4G doesn't link the GPS data to ethernet, if I understand correct only the heading data is used in the scan line data blocks.

So, a NMEA2000<>USB converter it is. Which leads to the following: which one ?

w fr greetings, Leo
Old 06-08-2015, 14:35   #3

The Actisense NGW-1-USB is in the mail, once I have everything hooked up I'll report back, hopefully with news of a perfect running set-up

w fr greetings, Leo
Old 08-08-2015, 04:53   #4

Hi Leo,

While you will get a heading from the GS25, it will not be fast or accurate enough to get a stable radar overlay if your boat moves fast or in heavy seas, as it is not a rate compass. Just so you know what to expect.

I have a rate compass but still it is not accurate enough, so I have upgraded to a GPS compass, a True Heading Vector Compact.

BR /Marcus
Shipraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:06   #5

hi Marcus,

thank you for the info

And yes, I was and am aware of the limitations of the SG25. That said, my wee boat makes 6 knots tops and only on a very good day and my sailing area is limited to the Dutch larger rivers and IJsselmeer. It can get a bit choppy there but 'high seas' is something I look at on YouTube, not from sitting at the helm.

Although limited in it's specs, the SG25's price is a very nice one, good value for money and in sync with the use of our boat. Buying the converter was ½ to get a map overlay on the radar and ½ to be able to peek 'inside' the NMEA2000 network.

I just have the 4G for a week now, running on radar display/PPI only and I must say I'm very happy with that in terms of 'less is more' so far.

w fr greetings, Leo
Old 09-08-2015, 21:42   #6

I received the Actisense converter and, in want of a real network, I rigged up an N2PLY one. Happy to report the SG25/NGW-1 combo works FB

w fr greetings, Leo
Old 09-08-2015, 23:20   #7

This is my basic setup for the 4G radar and chart overlay on OpenCPN:

I could do away with the ethernet switch but will keep it in place for the time beeing.

w fr greetings, Leo
Old 11-08-2015, 11:19   #8

As a sailor of wooden boats, I'm impressed with how you married new and old ages of sail with the N2PLY-1, though it looks difficult to keep varnished.
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 14:37   #9

Well thank you Fogmachine, guess I have just the right age for understanding the old and willing to try the new

By sheer coincidence I just watched a PBS documentary on the life and work of Hyman Rickover, it sure made me think back to my days as a radar tech with Her Majesties Forces. Beeing able to buy a 4G radar after retirement and playing with it on OpenCPN is much more than buying an instrument, it brings back many fine memories

And as varnishing is concerned: I leave that to my lovely wife, we've been re-building our 45 year old boat together and apart from the odd fall-out it is a wonderful way to spend time together ! Here's two pictures of the mahogany enclosure for the wheelhouse pump cabinet, I did the amateur woodwork and she applied 5 coats of good yacht varnish:

w fr greetings, Leo
Old 11-08-2015, 14:45   #10

Well thank you Fogmachine, guess I have just the right age for understanding the old and willing to try the new

By sheer coincidence I just watched a PBS documentary on the life and work of Hyman Rickover, it sure made me think back to my days as a radar tech with Her Majesties Forces. Beeing able to buy a 4G radar after retirement and playing with it on OpenCPN is much more than buying an instrument, it brings back many fine memories

And as varnishing is concerned: I leave that to my lovely wife, we've been re-buidling our 45 year old boat together and apart from the odd fall-out it is a wonderful way to spend time together ! Here's two pictures of the mahogany enclosure for the wheelhouse pump enclosure, I did the amateur woodwork and she applied 5 coats of good yacht varnish:

w fr greetings, Leo
Old 12-08-2015, 03:05   #11

Sorry for the double post, had no idea I posted twice and now I can't edit any

w fr greetings, Leo

Tags
broadband, radar