Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2018, 14:50   #46

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Which Boat Would YOU Choose for Golden Globe Race?

Benz. It is a very different world today. 50 years on from the original, and the race organiser has a duty of care to make sure the event is responsibly organised. There are huge penalties for breaking the seals on the safety gear.

I was interested to learn that kindles, smart phones, tablets, ipods and scentific calculators are banned. Navigation will have to be real old school from tables, Tapes decks are allowed. Cameras and video are old school film and super 8. No dyneena is allowed. Nor code zero furlers.

Remember the original race was state of art for its time. Many of the boats carried high tech HF radios and bulky charging units. Fibreglass boats, trimarans and windvane self steering were all new technology. The point of it was not to be self reliant, it was to be the first to sail singlehanded non stop around the world. The rest was a byproduct of the technology of the day. The GGR is not meant to be the same as the original, more of a tribute. And I think it is doing it very well.

At any rate Don McIntyre has amazingly pulled this race out of thin air, got a good number of contestants who believe in it and have put a lot of time, money and energy into getting to the start, and its happening. I am excited to see how it will pan out. What a real adventure!
Old 15-07-2018, 18:43   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Benz. It is a very different world today. 50 years on from the original, and the race organiser has a duty of care to make sure the event is responsibly organised. There are huge penalties for breaking the seals on the safety gear.

I was interested to learn that kindles, smart phones, tablets, ipods and scentific calculators are banned. Navigation will have to be real old school from tables, Tapes decks are allowed. Cameras and video are old school film and super 8. No dyneena is allowed. Nor code zero furlers.

Remember the original race was state of art for its time. Many of the boats carried high tech HF radios and bulky charging units. Fibreglass boats, trimarans and windvane self steering were all new technology. The point of it was not to be self reliant, it was to be the first to sail singlehanded non stop around the world. The rest was a byproduct of the technology of the day. The GGR is not meant to be the same as the original, more of a tribute. And I think it is doing it very well.

At any rate Don McIntyre has amazingly pulled this race out of thin air, got a good number of contestants who believe in it and have put a lot of time, money and energy into getting to the start, and its happening. I am excited to see how it will pan out. What a real adventure!
I don't deny the coolness of a solo RTW race on full-keelers--I just find the seemingly arbitrary rules and restrictions somewhat illogical. But then, I find most racing rules to be illogical--one of many reasons I don't race. Disallowing Dyneema on the rig, for instance, means that the boats can't be sailed to their full potential (though a WS32's full potential is so pathetic anyway, it hardly matters).
But it would be cool (methinks), if within certain parameters of dimension and full-keel-ness (manifested perhaps by a stern-hung rudder or some other such metric), one could do as desired with the rest: any rig, made any which way; any windvane; any dodge ingenuity could conceive to get a leg up. Remember, over-sparring for better speed in light air has its dangers in heavy weather and high latitudes; fragile spars for weight savings likewise.
The original GG was kind of a test of ingenuity of design as well as stamina and seamanship: this one is a test of who can sail fastest in obsolete designs built with obsolete materials.
My money is on whomever has a Bill Atkins design, just like the first GG.
Old 15-07-2018, 19:42   #48

In a lot of ways I agree, it a shame some of the more innovative developments were not allowed, such as loose luff furlers. And waterproof video cameras to capture the action. But I think Don is trying hard to keep the costs under control for the corinthian class. And keep it reasonably authentic. Otherwise the big budget sponsored vessels will end up fully customised and hot rodded at great expense.

As it is we are we are going to learn an awful lot about what works in big seas with little boats, and what windvane and rig combo's work well for us cruisers.

I also guess we do have the Vendee globe for those that want to push the technology boundaries, and the Jules Verne trophy.

I've known Don McIntyre for many years. He is genuinely a passonate guy who loves adventure and boats. I have lots of respect for him, and he has always been extremely supportive of my own (and others) adventures. He lent me a lot if expensive gear for my own trip south. I've also sailed and worked with Dave Pryce (the second race director) as well. He is one of the most experianced and capable sailors I know, and another passionate adventurer. The event is in good hands, and I hope to be able to help out if needed, especially since the boats will swing by Hobart for a film drop. So I guess I am a bit biased!
Old 19-07-2018, 03:53   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Just some thoughts.

Two of the ”approved” hull designs were by Alan Pape though none are being used in the race. Perhaps to rare? Our big boat is an Alan Pape SteelMaid design.

I’ve seen 3 Joshua’s this year, one is in my marina in Newfoundland where there were two additional boats built by the same yard in France , Meta. One a 52’ lapstrake round hull center board schooner Steel boat, a Damian. The other a 44’ aluminum aft cockpit, supposedly she is completely double billed below the water line.

I saw two more Joshua’s down in the Carribean. They ended up in the same harbor.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 11:53   #50

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Does anybody have a sense of when the Hobart film drops are likely to take place?
Old 19-07-2018, 13:42   #51

Boat: Boat

I woud also pick Joshua for the reasons cited below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Which one would I pick?

I would pick Joshua.

I like the idea of a steel hull in the higher latitude sailing around the capes.
I liked the ketch rig.
I like the size.
I like the "bubble" hatch so the sailor can remain below but check on the status of the sails and rig during heavy weather.
And as I recall, it had a watertight compartment in the bow.
I even like the red paint job.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 15:28   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Does anybody have a sense of when the Hobart film drops are likely to take place?
Its around 10000-11000nm. I figure they will average around 800-1000 miles per week. That makes it in around 3 months or so. Looking forward to seeing them. I will do my best to get out on the water.
Old 19-07-2018, 15:46   #53

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Its around 10000-11000nm. I figure they will average around 800-1000 miles per week. That makes it in around 3 months or so. Looking forward to seeing them. I will do my best to get out on the water.

Hmmmm.... you might need crew?
Old 19-07-2018, 15:50   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I imagine that by then they will be really spread out timewise, so you are likely to get several chances, Ben!

And do you really think they will do that well? Even 800 mi/week is awfully good for boats of that size when you consider having to cross the ITCZ as part of the route.

I await developments with interest (and thanks for starting the other thread).

Jim
Old 15-10-2018, 16:02   #55
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Given that the 2018 race has been underway for a while, has anyone changed their mind about the best boat for this race?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 07:24   #56

not really

If limited to 1960s, plywood epoxy with beam and hard chines - fin keel from Archambault, Janichon/Poncet.

There's this strange obsession with full keel and fighting the elements in the Anglo world - as if you can simply tame the southern oceans by sheer steel.

Keep the loads light - keep the boat fast. Not... as Pete Goss puts it - trying to cross the road as a hedgehog.
Old 17-10-2018, 00:43   #57

Still reckon a westsail 32 would do Ok if well sailed and set up. Ahbilash was going way faster than Uku and catching Mark slats before his capsize. The long poles enabled by the big 'J' would really help downwind. Fleming global windvane is nearly indestructible. Plus a series drogue onboard, and a frame to protect the vane while its deployed...
Old 18-10-2018, 17:59   #58

Another boat I really like is the Nicholson 32 mkX. Loic is going very well with his. Aux rudder plus Servo pendulum would work well on this boat, or a hydrovane as Loic has. Both the Nic 32 and the W32 are reasonably priced.
Old 18-10-2018, 18:29   #59
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

SNOWPETREL, Thanks for responding to my question about choices, given the performance of the boats in the current race. I was interested to see what you think now, as you are tracking the race so closely. Thanks.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 19:15   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
SNOWPETREL, Thanks for responding to my question about choices, given the performance of the boats in the current race. I was interested to see what you think now, as you are tracking the race so closely. Thanks.
I think the Rustler 36 is probably the fastest overall design. But the weather routing and sailing style are probably much more dominant factors from a speed perspective. And anyway only a fool would do this race with the sole intention of winning. It's so much more than just another race.

The issues with the Nic 32 would be load carrying. It's one of the smallest, lightest boats, and would really need to be kept light. The deep cockpit could also be vulnerable. Ideally a modified insert would be built to reduce its volume.

The W32 has ample load carrying but is at its weakest to windward and in light airs. A custom built Suhaili replica with its ketch rig and a lighter hull with a better ballast ratio would be another good option, but very expensive.

Tags
race