Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2014, 04:23   #16

Re: Towing a boat with a car

I think buying an old truck just for this purpose will be the best option. In Dubai, if I burnout the engine or trans its surely going to cost me alot of money to fix!
Thanks for the reply btw
IO85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 04:28   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IO85 View Post
Based in Dubai, almost all roads are flat. the car is 2.5 Legacy Automatic trans
Quote:
actually the towing average is about 15-20 miles per month. I will check on installing a trans coole
And Dubai is always hot presumably

Quote:
I think buying an old truck just for this purpose will be the best option. In Dubai, if I burnout the engine or trans its surely going to cost me alot of money to fix!
Thanks for the reply btw
Sounds like a good idea
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 05:03   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OP is prolly US based otherwise he would saying "Liberty" and not "Legacy" .

However you point is valid and FWIW, the Liberty / Legacy manual range do not have bullet proof clutches; rather the opposite .
You know, that's a really funny point. I am spending so much time on non-Australian sites, I didn't even pick that one. How odd...
Old 14-06-2014, 05:06   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Thanks for the reply btw
Isn't Dubai full of old Range Rovers? If so, they make a great, if under powered, towing vehicle. Mine was rated to 4.5 tons towing capacity. Acceleration at that load would have been about the same as continental drift, but comfortable, very very comforatable.

And aside from the utterly CRAP electrics (which is a big aside) the car was absolutely rock solid reliable.

Matt
Old 14-06-2014, 05:11   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Towing a Boat with a Car

Towed a 21ft timber sailboat from Vermont to Oriental, NC with a Jeep Wrangler.. no problems.. apart from when the wheel bearings went on the trailer after 900 miles.. back on the road the next day..
Just drive sensible..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 05:15   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Towing a Boat with a Car

Dubai... aww man.. there's a mechanic on every corner..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 10:07   #22

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38
Re: Towing a Boat with a Car

I would say if you take it easy it is fine, especially if you are mostly on the flats. Maximum towing weight is really about three things, engine torque/HP, braking ability, and the tongue weight.

Engine Torque and HP is going to dictate your acceleration, the strain on the engine and transmission as well as your maximum speed for your total weight. Being a little over weight means you will be stressing these components more than intended, however you can probably make up for it by being extra easy on it. Try not to "floor" it to accelerate, be gentle on your accelerator pedal and go nice and easy and the extra strain should be minimal.

MORE important is your braking abilities and I would say that this more often than not dictates what a manufacturer puts down for trailer weights. The manufacturer's are required to meet very specific traffic safety rules in the US and many other countries and therefore that trailer weight will be published based on what they estimate would meet the maximum "safe" stopping distances for most of those countries. So, if you are over weight leave your self extra stopping distance AND drive slower to compensate as well as minimize strain on your braking system.

Finally, the tounge weight.. This is the maximum weight that your hitch can support as well as your suspension. This is less of a concern as a well balanced trailer should exert nearly no weight on the tounge, but it is something to consider.

AND, one more thing to consider. Read your manual carefully when looking at these weight figures. Often these figures are based on gross vehicle weight + gross trailer weight. Gross vehicle weight (the number on your door tag) is actually a combination of the actual vehicle weight plus a full passenger and cargo load (3 average passengers plus a couple of average suitcases typically). If that is the case what I would recommend is if your trailer is only a 100-200 kilos over the maximum trailer weight then you are probably perfectly fine so long as you are driving the car by yourself and empty.
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 10:11   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Range Rovers make good towing vehicles, just ensure in any of the automatic ones, you change the gearbox oil about every 10,000 to 15,000 miles. otherwise you burn up the clutches in the auto box.

IN most cases unfortunately the RR boxes if they are subject to a lot of towing will crap out after about 60,000 miles. the box is not really up to the rated towing.

( admission: 5 RRs and a lot of towing)

Most RRs are already fitted with transmission oil coolers.
Old 27-06-2014, 17:07   #24

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

One thing I think is important to point out is that a given vehicle can be given different tow ratings in different countries. So how someone from one country perceives tow weight to rating may be influenced more by the rating difference than the actual weights involved. Just something to keep in mind when discussing this with people from different countries using different rating tow ratings.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 17:22   #25

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Guys I appreciate your feedback on this.

I have an 18ft boat + Trailer, I want to know if it is okay to pull them with a subaru legacy. It has a 2.5L 4 cyl engine, All wheel drive.

Anyone has done it with a similar car or knows someone who has?

Thanks & Cheers to all

IO85
Most of the advice already given is pretty accurate.

I had the 4 cyl with automatic. If it's an automatic, and you want to do it more than once, definitely NO. if manual, probably not. I'm not sure the brakes can handle it.

This thing will weigh almost as much as your car when everything is said and done. that's dangerous.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote