Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 04:46   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Struggling With Future of Boat

I have 2 boats currently. One extremely high performance cruising catamaran and one solid as a rock Gulfstar Sailmaster 50.

The catamaran is the boat I want to keep but I can't finish it up due to issues with chemical sensitivity to epoxy. I'm also staring down the barrel of a $70,00 rig and sails quote for the cat. Basically the value of the other boat in the rig. It's never had a rig so it needs everything, all the way to the chainplates.

I can't finish up the small bits of epoxy work myself and due to this booming (ready lousy in my opinion) economy, there is no one left to hire to do this work. Nobody looking for a job and very few yards will even return my inquiries to work on the boat.

Question is, do I just keep paying slip fees and push the catamaran forward in time to the next recession so I can get it done?

Also, does anyone know anyone who is good at doing glass work who wants a job?

I'm just completely stuck after having tried several times to do the glass work, them being knocked out by the epoxy for a couple days each time and sent to the hospital the other time.

I don't know where to turn for help.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:19   #2

Re: Struggling With Future of Boat

It might help if you said where the boat is.

Counting on a major economic downturn...could be tomorrow...could be 5 years...if you want to get out cruising I would bite the bullet or go with the second boat...maybe sell both and get something cruise ready.

Also consider the top quality fiberglass guys are the least likely to be let go during a downturn...it's the questionable guys who get let go first...is that who you want working on your boat for cheap?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
It might help if you said where the boat is.

Counting on a major economic downturn...could be tomorrow...could be 5 years...if you want to get out cruising I would bite the bullet or go with the second boat...maybe sell both and get something cruise ready.

Also consider the top quality fiberglass guys are the least likely to be let go during a downturn...it's the questionable guys who get let go first...is that who you want working on your boat for cheap?
Boats are 1000 miles apart from each other. The cat is in Florida.

There is nothing structural aside from the chainplates left to be done on the cat. I just need things to come out cosmetically pleasing. The cat is in the water and has about a thousand miles under her on engines.

Truthfully, I don't see any cruising in my future. I see a coastal cruiser and islands. I have to work still. Nowhere near retirement.

Note: the Gulfstar is absolutely ready for real cruising. All new everything on that boat.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:44   #4

Boat: 29 ft

Have you tried wrapping youself in full hazmat gear for working with epoxy? Including air supply? It just might still be an option.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:57   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Post some pics and the specs here. That will bring up some interest.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If you can contemplate 70k for a rig, surely you can stomach a grand or two for chainplates. If you do all the prep in a full hazmat suit, you can save a lot; it shouldn't take a good dude more than two days or so to do the layup (I've usually done the bulk of chainplate layup in a day). And surely someone will come and fair it over a weekend or so regardless of other employment. Here in RI everyone who has a full-time job also moonlights on weekends when the work is there.
But for myself I'd rather have a Gulfstar than any cat. Why not sell the cat proj. while the economy is good?
Old 11-03-2019, 08:48   #7

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

I agree with Benz; plus if you are only able to go for some coastal cruising and the occasional weekend, why do you want a performance cat? It seems to be a waste of a great boat. But it seems you have the finance in place and if you are totally focussed on the cat, sell the Gulfstar (a real shame) and invest the money in the cat by getting a top boat yard to do the work.
All of that will take time of course, and in the meantime somebody else will be enjoying that Gulfstar and getting some great time at sea.
I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavours,
keep smiling
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:50   #8

If you sold the Gulfstar would there be enough money to professionally complete the Cat ? It would also lower your outgoings by only having one yacht.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
If you sold the Gulfstar would there be enough money to professionally complete the Cat ? It would also lower your outgoings by only having one yacht.
It seems to be worth the rig on the cat. The Gulfstar sisterships are listed for $90-120K around the internet but to actually move it, I can probably sell it for the price of the rig on the cat at $80k.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
If you can contemplate 70k for a rig, surely you can stomach a grand or two for chainplates. If you do all the prep in a full hazmat suit, you can save a lot; it shouldn't take a good dude more than two days or so to do the layup (I've usually done the bulk of chainplate layup in a day). And surely someone will come and fair it over a weekend or so regardless of other employment. Here in RI everyone who has a full-time job also moonlights on weekends when the work is there.
But for myself I'd rather have a Gulfstar than any cat. Why not sell the cat proj. while the economy is good?
I was trying to do just as you said. Full hazmat. Doesn't work in Florida. It's not possible to live and survive in the suit. I do have the whole setup though. Maybe the answer is to move the cat to where it's cold and use the hazmat though. That's not the worst idea I've heard.

What are your typical yard rates on the hard in the summer for a 50' cat? Spring, fall and some winter may work up there actually for forced air hazmat.

Funny about the Gulfstar vs cat. I'd rather have the cat. Lol.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:10   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Well, don't leave us hanging. Tell us about the cat.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I was trying to do just as you said. Full hazmat. Doesn't work in Florida. It's not possible to live and survive in the suit. I do have the whole setup though. Maybe the answer is to move the cat to where it's cold and use the hazmat though. That's not the worst idea I've heard.
Those portable AC units that have large diameter inlet/outlet hoses.... could the outlet hose be used in conjunction with the hazmat suit? Extend the inlet hose well away upwind. Would be bliss if feasible.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:43   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

What are your typical yard rates on the hard in the summer for a 50' cat? Spring, fall and some winter may work up there actually for forced air hazmat.

Funny about the Gulfstar vs cat. I'd rather have the cat. Lol.
Yes it is the worst idea you have ever heard on so many levels. Your going to move the boat up North where the weather is turning hot to leave Florida which is already hot to do a few days glassing ? And you are telling me that you can’t find anyone to do a glassing side job in Florida ? The beer joints around boatyards are full of them, working with fiberglass is not rocket science, especially if you are able to oversee the project. Seems your biggest impediment is your very limited paradigm.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 14:48   #14

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

I suggest being a bit more specific on location if your intent is the acquisition of a reference. I have a good glass finisher here in FL. ... you never stated the actual location of the boat. He is located in Pt St Lucie.

Best Regards
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 15:42   #15

Boat: Seaward 22

Actually, you have one boat and a project. The market is pretty brisk for catamarans these days. I'd seriously evaluate the value "as is", and the value if professionally finished. Is it worth to pay to get it completed, or should you sell it now?
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat