Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2018, 20:56   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Sailing and Aging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found at Sea View Post
When using your Milwaukee side angle drill do you ever have problems with the chuck set screw breaking when under a load and in reverse? I would appreciate any suggestions on how to correct this problem.

Yes, the load is much higher in reverse if its used on a two speed winch. My solution? I use it in forward, only.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 22:09   #107

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim loc-tited ours in, and it has not broken since, about 2, maybe 3 yrs. ago.

Ann
Old 26-11-2018, 22:12   #108

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Yes, the load is much higher in reverse if its used on a two speed winch. My solution? I use it in forward, only.
The load on the chuck is limited by how strong you are. Doesn't matter which direction you are going, your arm must counteract the torque delivered to the winch by the drill, and you have control of that via the trigger.

And some winches are in low gear going clockwise with the drive, some are in high gear... depends on the design We have some of each on our boat, so your "forward only" solution wouldn't work for us.

But red Loc tite has worked for a couple of years now. Reverse is a non-problem.

Jim
Old 27-11-2018, 09:13   #109

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found at Sea View Post
When using your Milwaukee side angle drill do you ever have problems with the chuck set screw breaking when under a load and in reverse? I would appreciate any suggestions on how to correct this problem.
To avoid this issue, [and have a lighter unit with a shorter profile on the driving end] we went with the winch bit that replaces the chuck. [Ultimate Cranker; The chuck can still be easily installed when needed...] It has never come loose even under very high torque in reverse.

Quote:
Benifits of the Ultimate Cranker vs the standard Cranker
  • One piece stainless steel design is stronger than any other product available.
  • Lightens tool weight by almost 1/2 pound.
  • Side set screw eliminates chuck set screw breakage when using tool in reverse.
  • Eliminates chance of chuck rusting.
  • Eliminates the chance of bending the shank.
  • Comes with stainless steel set screw and allen wrench.
In case this is of interest.

Cheers! Bill
Old 27-01-2019, 17:58   #110

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

somehow the thread title seems OK to me for a question.
As I am getting ready to leave having a long way south on the ICW,if I can arrange for help will do it outside (Morehead City NC-Florida),depends if he will be available,otherwise single cannot afford days and nights solo without sleep.
Yes considered just hoping from inlet to inlet,could be.
As I was standing at the wheel yesterday bringing her back from the boatyard it really remanded me not longer able to be standing behind the wheel for hours after one hour my back started to scream,I need to sit!!!
tried different arrangements on the corner of the cockpit,doable but again strains my back trying to reach the wheel .
Ideally should be seating behind the wheel,within arms length.most of the seats available do not seem right.
Back problems are not unusual for the older people,solutions,ideas???
thank you.
PS
have autopilot ok in open waters,not ideal for confined areas,same for my monitor windvane.
Cape Dory 30
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 18:28   #111

Davil fit a decent self steering gear, & never have to stand up to steer for longer than a few minutes again. I built a simple Fisher linkage self steering system for my yacht, before I ever went serious cruising. It steered me for about 53,000 miles of the 53,000 nautical miles I logged.

On the other hand, I then started running tourist boats. In the 70s auto pilots available for small ships/launches were just not reliable enough for you to leave the wheel, even if not actually steering.

With my bad back, for one launch I ran often I built a simple foldable seat from plywood. It folded up against a bulkhead behind the wheel area, with a padded seat area which faced out when up, so you could lean back against it when up, or sit on it when down. It worked perfectly.

For our 300 passenger international Catamarans, with plenty of room in the wheelhouse, I adapted truck pneumatic seats, that had a shock absorbing system built into them. These were great on the cats, that could slam a bit on occasions when going to windward at up to 30 knots. Fine in a large boat, but rather large for most yachts.

Good luck with that back.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 19:13   #112

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

ith my bad back, for one launch I ran often I built a simple foldable seat from plywood. It folded up against a bulkhead behind the wheel area, with a padded seat area which faced out when up, so you could lean back against it when up, or sit on it when down. It worked perfectly.

thanks that is an idea,appreciate
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 02:44   #113

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

@davil

Additionally to all technical means I recommend and do myself my daily (5x per week) body maintenance. Some people call it also fitness training. One is never to old to start with a good physical constitution extend the years we all can sail. I use You are your own gym. Mark Lauren, about 5 $, for iOS and Android.
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 17:53   #114

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

If'n the hypesters of the secret laboratory way east on Grand out near Point San Bruno (and more or less S of Brisbane) be right, youall be the last age cohort what has to die of cardiovascular disease, atherosclerosis, Alzheimer's Disease, and bleeding gums.

The nominal owners of that secret laboratory report to the market later today on their doings.

If the word be right - and the published research last week and over the past 5 or more years do suggest it are - well-heeled young'uns will be dosing themselves with brain-penetrant kgp inhibitors and be free, free at last, of atherosclerosis and the dread of AD.

Should mean many more years of sailing, limited only by cancer, muscular atrophy, and the poor design of eyes, knees, and suchlike.
Old 28-01-2019, 21:30   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Still climbing the mast and ocean voyaging at 74. Have bought a smaller boat (Sabre 28) but still own the Pearson 35. Really appreciate the more manageable size of the smaller boat though it's much livelier motion makes moving around on deck more of a challenge. Have run the Main Sail control lines aft on both boats so don't have to leave the cockpit except to set the spinnaker. Upsized the winches on both boats, 40's on the Sabre and 43's on the Pearson. Have an electric windlass on the Pearson which really helps when single handed anchor retrieving. Other than the usual roller furling headsails haven't made any other mods to fit this ancient body.

Find working on the boat really helps the creakies that seemed to hit me around 70. Crawling into the lazarette, cockpit lockers, servicing the engine, etc (Boat Yoga) limbers the old bod up. Don't have the endurance for physical labor that I used to but just go at things easier, slower and smarter and stuff gets done. Had the whisker pole on the Genoa fold on the way to Hawaii. Of course it was at zero dark thirty on anink black night with no moon and heavy overcast. Went forward to bring it in as it was banging on the hull but couldn't get control of it with the sail's violent slatting. Pooped myself so went back to the cockpit to recoup and think how to solve the problem. Sitting back there after catching my breath it suddenly came to me that I had roller furling and could roll up the sail. Proceeded to do that and the pole was now securely on deck with a minimum of trauma. Disconnected the pretzeled whisker pole and lashed it down, got out the spinnaker pole which was easy to hook up with the sail furled, rolled out the sail and continued on my way. If I was younger would've nearly killed myself trying to get the pole off that fully deployed sail.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 16:10   #116
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

I am 62 years old, 2 years ago I fell in my bedroom and broke my ribs.
So stuff can happen anywhere anytime.

When I go sailing I always wear my PFD Jacket style.
This will help protect my body from falls and things like broken ribs.
But what about falling and hitting my head.

So I been thinking I will made a simple bump cap insert using camping foam pad.
I will just cut out a piece of foam (in the correct shape) and Velcro it to the inside of my sailing hat.

This way if I fall I will have some protection.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...-Pad/634956813
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 16:13   #117

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
I am 62 years old, 2 years ago I fell in my bedroom and broke my ribs.
So stuff can happen anywhere anytime.

When I go sailing I always wear my PFD Jacket style.
This will help protect my body from falls and things like broken ribs.
But what about falling and hitting my head.

So I been thinking I will made a simple bump cap insert using camping foam pad.
I will just cut out a piece of foam (in the correct shape) and Velcro it to the inside of my sailing hat.

This way if I fall I will have some protection.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...-Pad/634956813
Or, you could get a bike helmet. There are a number of sailors who wear various types of crash protection.

Ann
Old 23-03-2019, 16:30   #118
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing and Aging

I always duck.. cant afford a new boom..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 16:30   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Or, you could get a bike helmet. There are a number of sailors who wear various types of crash protection.

Ann
I looked at all kinds of helmets and I do not think they will work for me.
Wearing a normal hat with a foam insert will be more comfortable and I will
tend to wear it more.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 17:45   #120

Boat: TBD

For hats you might want to look at baseball helmets. You could trim the ear flap off.
I use these for bike riding. I only got a bruised ear when an 80 mph fastball hit me. Although I did lose 3 teeth another time on a slower curve ball.

I’ve played baseball, football, hockey and half a dozen other sports plus auto racing most of my life. Baseball until I was 72. Over the years I gat plenty of hard hits and bruises but each sport’s equipment save me from serious injury.

Now last Feb we had a massive snow storm that left a couple feet of snow and cold. I was out walking my dog and tripped and did a perfect face plant. I reall did not feel hurt but a guy’s wife said I didn’t look ok and called 911. I wound up in the hospital ICU for 6 days. The neurologist said it was the hardest impact I had ever had. Hard to believe without an external bruise. But what happened in side my head was a different story.

So you are right, these things can happen out of the blue. A friend fell off the roof of his house and was killed. Another had a stroke at 55 years old. He is 78 today and quadriplegic.

I too wear my PFD any time there is water under my feet even though I’m an expert swimmer and have had lifesaving and cold water training. Even my dog has a floatation vest and she is a good swimmer.

Accidents can happen any time. It pays to think before acting. As the military pounds into you ....situation awareness will save your life. Not paying attention in military training will make an athlete out of you doing all the extra penalty exercises.
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing