Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2012, 08:03   #1
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig
Raw Water Cooled Conversion Prep

Now that my boat is at its permanent mooring, the engine won't need to be started until probably late May, giving me 3 to 4 months to do the planned conversion to a fresh water cooled system on my Volvo MD17C.
I was thinking that it would be a good idea to leave the engine sit until then with something other than sea water in the cooling system.
What would be best? Just a diesel engine antifreeze/coolant, straight vinegar or some other mild acidic solution that won't destroy my impeller or other non-metal parts?

Tks,

Ron
Old 09-02-2012, 15:26   #2

Boat: Choate 40 / Pearson Ariel
Re: Raw Water Cooled Conversion Prep

My md-11 has been soaking in a strong solution of the product "Salt-Away" at the machine shop and the parts look like new. How complicated is the conversion? I am reviving my badly salted up Volvo and I am adding a freshwater flusher plumbed to my domestic water system.
The Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 06:23   #3
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Hi Vortex. I'll have to look into Salt-Away. I've never heard of it before. I asked a mechanic at Pender Harbour Diesel what he thought I should use and he just recommended a diesel anti-freeze, so that's what is in there now. I think something that would actually break down and dissolve the salt deposits and corrosion would be better than just anti-freeze.
I haven't done a conversion, my self... yet but I will one day. It isn't very complicated but is expensive. Still, less expensive that replacing a plugged up block and manifold, or entire engine. Basically, you run sea water into a heat exchanger, which has hot coolant circulating through it from the engine and returns it to the engine. So you need a second pump and a heat exchanger along with various fitting, clamps, mounting brackets and hoses.
I like the idea of the fresh water flusher. Definitely easier and cheaper than a complete conversion.
Old 15-02-2012, 11:22   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I would flush out the system and soak it with Salt-Away, changing it every couple of weeks.

Here's a flush kit I've built which takes only a few minutes to set up. >>> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post887644
Old 16-02-2012, 09:43   #5

Boat: Choate 40 / Pearson Ariel

Thanks yet again, delmarrey. Your link connected me to the hydrolocking risk. The bucket method will suffice.
The Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, water