Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2016, 14:53   #46

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard
Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Gadagirl,
Allow me to present an option. For the last year, I have been searching for a sailing friend (no benefits) to sail-cruise-explore the Sea of Cortez with my Son and his wife. We have a 45 ft. Leopard catamaran" Father's Grace" with 4 cabins in San Felipe, Baja California. I am 75 and a semi-retired farmer/rancher. I live in the mountains south-east of San Diego in Baja.
In the last year I have had some "guests" sail with me. They have been rude, ill mannered with an attitude as if they chartered a boat with captain and crew not a guest in my home. Getting along is very important! The Boat is not that large! We consider 4 people minimum to keep proper watch while under sail. We purchased the boat in the BVI and sailed it back so we have an idea of what it is like. Night watch and ruff weather can be difficult short handed.
My Son plans to retire from the San Diego Sheriff department in the next year or two. Meanwhile we plan to use that time to sail/explore the Sea of Cortez. Our later plan is to sail south to Peru, then West to the South Pacific and back.
Sailing, navigating, etc. experience not necessary. What you do not know, we can teach. If you know more than us, we will listen and learn from you. We have one to two years to get comfortable with the boat and each other. Cooking and baking is a plus but we do know how to cook (kind of-not chefs). Help in the galley, hoisting sails, turn at the navigation station, etc. is highly appreciated and required. The boat is completely self sufficient.
We do not drink alcoholic drinks, smoke, nor do drugs of any type. Although a cold beer on a hot day can be necessary. The heat in Baja can be ruff. 110 to 120 F. not unheard of.
Financially- paying for your own personal expenses is all that is required.
We are into conservation. If you are into photography, it would be great! My Son is into diving (not me-I saw jaws). We have our own compressor on board. If you do not dive but would like to learn, here is your chance.
I do not think CF will allow for me to place my e-mail address here. I had a crew wanted ad and somehow we eventually were able to communicate directly. If you are interested, or know of someone that would be, let me know. Have a nice day. Hector
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 14:55   #47

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

Gadagirl / live aboard cruising is therapy/if you were to have professional help the result rate is approximately 2.5 -5% positive result / sundowners work at about 99% positive result / draw a circle on a piece of paper write 2-it in the circle now you have got a round 2 it / there is no excuse
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:25   #48

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

sorry, I'm reading through responses this evening. I had to have main water cut to the house because of water leak $$$$$ I installed new smoke alarms, loaded the car with stuff for good will, picked out 20 art art supplies to donate to my daughter's child care provider. I can't wait to get rid of this house!!!!!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:37   #49

Boat: a sailing boat

I will nip here: " ... A visit to a financial planner is in store for me this year ...".

A.

Alternatives.

What about learning the basics of financial planning yourself?

Are your finances so broad and diverse that it takes a pro to decide for you what is best?

A financial planner = a cost.

Cut costs, create inflows.

Imagine you postpone the visit and go for learning financial planning now. In a year, you have a new skill. You resolve your financial planning doubts in the process.

You may also resolve some of your financial uncertainties in the same process.

You may also simplify your finances in the same period. Simple finances need no financial planners.

You gain a skill, you cut the costs, you may start developing a marketable skill to deploy in your second life, after cruising. Just keep on learning and take exams.

Etc.

Where there is a challenge, try to see an opportunity.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:01   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I will nip here: " ... A visit to a financial planner is in store for me this year ..."..

Cheers,
b.
What is wrong with todays people FFS..
See a shrink.. Get a motivation guru.. get someone to plan my life.. WTF..
Your income is X.. your expense's are Y.. Z set aside for emergencies and the rest stays in the gravy boat... SHEEEESSSSHHHHHHHHH..
Dr Spock and the post 70's education system has a lot to answer for.. chucked out a load of insecure dependant pussies.
Now I'll likely get folks bleeding about how tough their precious little lives have been.. my big sister stole my doll and the loss screwed my head up.
Well I got news kiddo.. lots of folks have had a tough life.. and others make those lives seem like a walk in the park..
Get a Bludi Grip and toss out the Baby Walkers..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:09   #51

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What is wrong with todays people FFS..
See a shrink.. Get a motivation guru.. get someone to plan my life.. WTF..
Your income is X.. your expense's are Y.. Z set aside for emergencies and the rest stays in the gravy boat... SHEEEESSSSHHHHHHHHH..
Dr Spock and the post 70's education system has a lot to answer for.. chucked out a load of insecure dependant pussies.
Now I'll likely get folks bleeding about how tough their precious little lives have been.. my big sister stole my doll and the loss screwed my head up.
Well I got news kiddo.. lots of folks have had a tough life.. and others make those lives seem like a walk in the park..
Get a Bludi Grip and toss out the Baby Walkers..
Hmmm... seems you are angry.. here lie down on this couch a moment...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:25   #52
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Maybe you're thinking of SV Delo's. It hard to keep track of all the movie stars.

Yeah all those beautiful, long hair whooooosh whooosh people look alike to me.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:40   #53
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
only 5 cents
Old 28-08-2016, 16:54   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Naah.. just bored with 'Poor Me's'..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 28-08-2016, 17:24   #55

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

I'm going to give you the simple formula to do this.

Take your monthly expenses and multiply it by 300, if you have that much money you can retire today by investing it at 7%. That will keep up with inflation and see you through the rest of your life.

I'm not going to give you suggestions of where to invest, since I'm not giving financial advice. This is just a simple bit of math to get you started.

So if your expenses (X) * 300 is way way out of reach you can bring that magic number down by reducing your expenses.

What we seem to forget today is what is essential and what is nice to have. If you can figure out what you can live without and what you truly need (not want), I'm sure you'll find it's not as out of reach as you might think.

I am biased as I own one of the original go small, go simple, go now boats. I'm doing the maintenance on it and there's not much too it. Sure I've recently undertaken some large projects, but they won't be the norm. You don't need to strip the hull back to bear teak every year. You don't have to make sails every year. If you get can live without all the modern "must haves" a boat can be very simple and cheap to maintain.

Now I realise this will spark another string of replies about how electronics are a must... I find my sextant is pretty reliable, it works when it's wet etc. It's still possible to simplify a boat to a reasonable level, be safe and do things relatively inexpensively.

I realise the world we live in is not the world Slocum sailed in, there is still a lot to be said for canning your own supplies when you find cheap fresh food. I refuse to believe the world has changed that much that it's impossible to do things amazingly cheap, while there are things you can't do anything about, with enough lateral thinking I'm sure you can find very creative solutions. There's a lot of long forgotten books that's worth a read, it might not be directly applicable but with some lateral thinking a lot of it can still be applied.

There's some fascinating problems to be solved for cruising, you certainly don't need to open your wallet as the first solution. How ever this does require you to engage your brain, it's not always easy though!
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 17:28   #56
cruiser

300 / 12 = 25 years. You need 30. 30 Years and some of that money will come from SS and then there is inflation and medical bills.

theoreticlaly, you need 1 million dollars to die. Thats the rule that I learned
Old 28-08-2016, 17:28   #57
cruiser

Go shopping at Vanguard is my recommendation.
Old 28-08-2016, 17:32   #58
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Monthly expenses x 300??

Bugger.

I better marry someone rich... Quick!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 17:36   #59
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Boatman61 is right, but Barnikeil said it more eloquently (suffer, Phil )

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 17:38   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If I had 150,000euros (500x300) I'd not invest it.. I'd be trying to spend it all on sex, drugs and rock n roll before I die..